Did Anyone see the Wonderlic Scores?

Some of the Wonderlic scores from the combine were leaked to the media over the weekend...and some of the potential top picks sure didn't help themselves. Specifically some of the guys that have been linked to the Bengals...Ryan Clady scored a *13*, Keith Rivers scored a *16*, and Kenny Phillips also scored a *16*. This is very alarming when you are talking about an Offensive tackle that needs to know all the right pass protections, a Middle Linebacker who has to make the defensive calls, and a Safety that has to make the coverage calls.

Wonderlic Scores

A lot is made of the Wonderlic, particularly as the draft approaches and we run out of stuff to talk about. I haven't seen any studies, but anecdotally I'd imagine there isn't much of a correlation between a player's Wonderlic score and their NFL productivity.

But that doesn't mean we can't point and gawk. The Chicago Tribune's Dan Pompei has the lowdown on some of the draft's top prospects, and for comparison's sake, points out that a person of average intelligence (Brian Billick, for example) "is supposed to score a 20." Apparently, NFL teams like to see quarterbacks, offensive linemen, middle linebackers and safeties "score higher than that because those positions can be mentally demanding."

According to Pompei, Matt Ryan and Brian Brohm scored 32, Joe Flacco scored a 27 and Chad Henne a 22.

The best o-lineman in the draft, Jake Long, posted a 26, Jeff Otah scored a 28, Sam Baker a 27 and Chris Williams a 32. Branden Albert scored a 23 and Ryan Clady, the second-best o-linemen in most draft nerds' minds, pulled a Dan Marino (13). Despite his low score, I'm guessing it doesn't affect his stock.

Linebacker Keith Rivers and safety Kenny Phillips scored 16s, which obviously means that they are half as smart as Ryan.

Ultimately, the test scores are a part of the overall puzzle. Just like 40 times, interviews, and -- this'll sound crazy, but stay with me here -- game tape. Frankly, I think the Wonderlic doesn't mean much when it comes to actually playing football. I mean, in 2004, the 49ers' Roderick Green scored a 3 and Craig Krenzel scored a 38. Guess who's still a mediocre NFL player and who's not even in the league any more.

The wonderlic scores, though indicative, are more relevant to bloggers than football players - does anybody have the scores for Hair? Hoosier? Billy? Wraith? Shula?

Now that's a forum!!!

PS. I scored an 8

I bought the Wonderlic test to give to potential employees and I took it at that time, I scored a 42....not exactly a hard test. Tracy Porter scored a 4, that is a complete embarrassment to my alma mater.

The Wonderlic test was originally designed as an evaluation tool for employers and the company makes the majority of its money selling the test to small and medium sized businesses, it is not very expensive.

It's not a real measure of intelligence anyways. Never mind the fact that I scored a 47 .... ^_^

Those scores are not low actually. The only times that a poor wonderlic test has also showed the future "piss-poority" of a future NFL player were the following players

1. Reinard Wilson - 4 - really bad football player

2. Roddy White - 4 - Sucks, but did have his best year last year....

Numbers in the mid teens , just means a guy took the test somewhat seriously. Or, did his best. When you get the guys who got the first and last questions only right ( The 2 easiest on the test )

That's when you worry...

Maybe we should get Mike Brown Tested.... Let's see some of his questions...

1. With their first pick in the 91,92,93,94,97, 99, 2000, 2001, 2004 NFL draft the Cincinnati Bengals select ?? :angry::angry:

The wonderlic scores, though indicative, are more relevant to bloggers than football players - does anybody have the scores for Hair? Hoosier? Billy? Wraith? Shula?

Now that's a forum!!!

PS. I scored an 8

I've never taken a full test but I scored pretty high on a 20 question sample printed several years ago in the Los Angeles Times, as well as numerous samples available online. I admit my adjusted scores were nothing spectacular, each time in the low to mid 30's, but in my defense I always attempted to complete the test as it's intended to be taken.

That being, with a time limit.

FWIW, the test isn't claimed to be a true measure of intelligence...just a tool for determining how a person thinks. It's said often that anyone who prepares for the test ahead of time, becoming familiar with the format and type of questions asked, can dramatically improve their scores, something that wouldn't be possible if it were a true measure of intelligence. For example, it was said that Akili Smith didn't prepare for the test prior to the combine and scored something like a 13. After his score was leaked to the press his agent hired a tutor for Akili. He eventually took the test again and scored in the low 30's.

Now that's a forum!!!

PS. I scored an 8

I've never taken a full test but I scored pretty high on a 20 question sample printed several years ago in the Los Angeles Times, as well as numerous samples available online. I admit my adjusted scores were nothing spectacular, each time in the low to mid 30's, but in my defense I always attempted to complete the test as it's intended to be taken.

That being, with a time limit.

FWIW, the test isn't claimed to be a true measure of intelligence...just a tool for determining how a person thinks. It's said often that anyone who prepares for the test ahead of time, becoming familiar with the format and type of questions asked, can dramatically improve their scores, something that wouldn't be possible if it were a true measure of intelligence. For example, it was said that Akili Smith didn't prepare for the test prior to the combine and scored something like a 13. After his score was leaked to the press his agent hired a tutor for Akili. He eventually took the test again and scored in the low 30's.

Well I think that is a big point that was made in the case Of Clady...why would a player knowing that he is going to have to take the test at the combine, not prepare for it the same as he did with his bench press, 40 time, ect. Some people believe it shows he is somewhat lazy and would not study his playbook as hard as he should.

Well I think that is a big point that was made in the case Of Clady...why would a player knowing that he is going to have to take the test at the combine, not prepare for it the same as he did with his bench press, 40 time, ect. Some people believe it shows he is somewhat lazy and would not study his playbook as hard as he should.

I'll offer no real argument to the above....other than to ask if it's any different than players attempting to erase concerns about their speed by training for the 40 yard dash. Or failing that, attempting to better marginal combine results at their pro days? Some players prepare for position drills, others for track events, still others for tests like the Wonderlic, and some for everything. But the true measure of Clady's potential is going to be determined by what teams see on game film and in interviews, not by his Wonderlic score.

In fact, I'd bet teams put far more stock in a measurement of the length of his arms than his Wonderlic results.

Well if we did take Keith,I'd prefer we take him as a WLB -_-

Please! No more 230 lb backers. (see Caleb Miller, Landon Johnson, etc)

I don't care how fast you are, or how smart you are, or how football savvy you are - you'll get washed out more often than not if you weigh 230 lbs.

There are safeties bigger than that in the NFL.

I scored an 8

It was 8 out of 8.

Congrats on your 1,000th post!

Thanks, Hoosier . . . I'm into quantity, not quality! B)

I don't care how fast you are, or how smart you are, or how football savvy you are - you'll get washed out more often than not if you weigh 230 lbs.

I don't care how many times you make that rant....it's just silly. Start with the fact that Rivers weight has always been listed as 235/240. Then factor in his combine weight #241 and you realize Rivers is BIGGER than all of the OLB prospects in this draft with the exception of much lower rated prospects like Phillip Wheeler, Cliff Avril, and Ezra Butler. Finally, scan the rosters of all other NFL teams and note the staggering number of LB'ers who tip the scales weighing less than Rivers.

I don't care how many times you make that rant....it's just silly. Start with the fact that Rivers weight has always been listed as 235/240. Then factor in his combine weight #241 and you realize Rivers is BIGGER than all of the OLB prospects in this draft with the exception of much lower rated prospects like Phillip Wheeler, Cliff Avril, and Ezra Butler. Finally, scan the rosters of all other NFL teams and note the staggering number of LB'ers who tip the scales weighing less than Rivers.

Sorry, Hair, we have to just agree to disagree. Rivers played behind Ellis and Lawrence Jackson, and we're supposed to be impressed 'cause he wore number 55. He made some terrific plays for the year, but totally disappeared for long stretches vs. Washington, Oregon, & Stanford.

We'll know more on his pro day, but he's never been timed faster than 4.62, and his LISTED weight in the program was 235. Since he didn't do ANYTHING at the combine, we'll see if he can keep on the weight, do his reps, and still have his great speed.

he wasn't even the best backer on his team. If he came out next year, he would be a distant third after Rey Maualuga and James Laurinaitis, and maybe behind teammate Brian Cushing or Purdue's Heygood. Last year, another weak year for LB, he would have been behind Willis, and even with Poluszny, Spencer, and Tillman.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, but he's not worth it if you grab him in the first half of round 1. Now, if you can convince the Bengal brass to trade down 8 - 10 spots to grab him, I'm all for it (but I'd prefer this year's Demarcus Ware - Quentin (I wanna have your babies) Groves. :P

Sorry, Hair, we have to just agree to disagree. Rivers played behind Ellis and Lawrence Jackson, and we're supposed to be impressed 'cause he wore number 55. He made some terrific plays for the year, but totally disappeared for long stretches vs. Washington, Oregon, & Stanford.

He didn't disappear. He fought through minor dings during the 2nd half of the season and played in a defensive scheme that became more conservative when other players missed games due to injury.

he wasn't even the best backer on his team. If he came out next year, he would be a distant third after Rey Maualuga and James Laurinaitis, and maybe behind teammate Brian Cushing or Purdue's Heygood. Last year, another weak year for LB, he would have been behind Willis, and even with Poluszny, Spencer, and Tillman.

Then I suggest the Bengals don't waste a pick on him NEXT year. <_<

As for your claim that he might be the 3rd best LB on the Trojans, I call BS. Rey Maualuga is best described as an unguided missile, and the story that emerged from USC's bowl game this season was Maualugu's suprising display of controlled instinctive play, something that has been a long time coming. If it continues he's probably a better NFL prospect, although not nearly as versatile. However, if he reverts to previous form he'll remain a more limted player who surrenders as many big plays as he makes. As for Cushing, if he could stay healthy he might be better than all of them due to his overall game and superior ability in pass coverage. But he's always dinged and the biggest play he made last season was a mistake that cost the Trojans a victory. In three seasons a starter Rivers has never made a mistake that costly.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, but he's not worth it if you grab him in the first half of round 1. Now, if you can convince the Bengal brass to trade down 8 - 10 spots to grab him, I'm all for it...

I guess if you want to cut things that fine so be it....because I agree it's not a pick that would scream value. But try making your case without empty claims that a 240 lb OLB can't cut it in the NFL.

Rivers is a fine linebacker, but the overall class isn't very good. He's not a top 15 pick if you ask me considering how talented Derrick Johnson was back in the '05 draft, and he was the only linebacker that went in another pretty weak linebacker class that year.

Rivers will be a solid pro, but he's not going to be a " spectacular " pro, but you never know when all that athleticism catches up to what the Coaches put into his head. Or if ?

But the reality of the Rivers conversation comes about only because of Dorsey's pro - day that there is a real chance we will miss out on the top tackle studs and the top ends.

- With a draft very deep at offensive tackle talent, just trade Down. Matt Ryans workout wasn't great, and his hype machine can't hide the lack of arm strength.

We figured that McFadden would be our " bait " to dangle in order to trade down. Maybe The trade bait could turn out to be Ryan ??

- I'm not convinced the Ravens would jump on him if he's there at 8.

- Word out of Flaccos' workout were by several teams watching was the consensus... " Why isn't he the highest rated quarterback ? "