The reason why Utecht came to the Bengals...

DDOGG

Lost in the shuffle is the real reason why Utecht is a Bengal.

The Bengals overpaid for his services.

Don't get me wrong because I'm not complaining. I like the signing just fine.

But it is what it is.

BTW, I'm curious about what others posters think Utecht will produce in 2008.

Put me down for 42 receptions, 475 yards, and 3 TD's.

Given that that's double the receptions any single TE has gotten in the Palmer era, I would have to label that prediction wildly optimistic. That said, the biggest factor in Utecht's numbers may be what happens in the offensive backfield. A lot of those 61 balls Chris Perry caught back in 2005 could come Ben's way if Perry is cut/traded/injured/IR'd/whatever in '08. But if the Bengals have a receiving back in the backfield (either Perry or a draft pick), I think Ben will struggle to get more than, oh, 25 or so catches.

Given that that's double the receptions any single TE has gotten in the Palmer era, I would have to label that prediction wildly optimistic. That said, the biggest factor in Utecht's numbers may be what happens in the offensive backfield.

I considered all of that, and made a prediction that I felt was actually fairly conservative. Seriosuly, I'm talking about an average of 2.5 receptions per game, less than 500 yards receiving, and just 3 TD's. Maybe I'm kidding myself here, but I'm thinking only you would describe numbers like that as wildly optimistic.

They signed the guy for a reason, right?

But if the Bengals have a receiving back in the backfield (either Perry or a draft pick), I think Ben will struggle to get more than, oh, 25 or so catches.

So what should we pencil you down for? Say 25 receptions, maybe 280 yards, and how many TD's?

Now playing for Cincinnati, Tight End Hair-on-Fire !!!

Seriously, doesn't Utecht by his mere presence at Tight End help minimize the effectiveness of the cover-2? If his 'potential' can draw at least one safety to the middle of the field, doesn't that help our WR's?

...just askin'.............

Well, if you'll allow me to go Al Bundy on you....

I played a little TE back in the day. And by that I mean very little, very badly, and more than 3 decades ago.

Regardless, my high school playing days actually ended very shortly after I caught a pass and hauled two defenders downfield. To be fair I found both of those defenders bothersome but as I recall I was dealing with them just fine, thank you very much. However, I soon learned that my biggest problem was to arrive, stage right, in the form of a 3rd defender who quite unseen by me somehow blasted me into unconciousness but apparently didn't knock me down. Thus, using only my lizard brain, I hauled the two previously mentioned defenders several more steps.

Or so I was told by others. Personally, I have no memory of this happening. <_<

You see the lesson I learned that night is when a person is reduced to using only their lizard brain it's impossible to properly walk, run, or in my example stagger with strangers hanging onto your back and legs. As a result, with each unconscious step I took before collapsing in a heap of ragdolled human flesh I badly sprained each of my ankles.

I never played another down. :lol:

Seriously, doesn't Utecht by his mere presence at Tight End help minimize the effectiveness of the cover-2? If his 'potential' can draw at least one safety to the middle of the field, doesn't that help our WR's?

...just askin'.............

If he performs well early in the year, yeah. But he hasn't done anything to prove himself in the NFL yet, so I don't see why any other teams have reason to fear him.

If the Bengals utilize him properly, this could open up our passing game big-time. Utecht has decent speed for a TE, and if everyone wants to play Cover-2 against us he could get some huge gains down the middle of the field. Once that starts happening, they can't double Chad (if he's here) and TJ. This can only be a positive for us, IF Brat utilizes him properly.

I soon learned that my biggest problem was to arrive, stage right, in the form of a 3rd defender who quite unseen by me somehow blasted me into unconciousness but apparently didn't knock me down.

Hair - That wasn't against St X in 1972, was it . . . I distinctly remember nailing a Crusader Tight End into oblivion in the Moeller game, about 10 minutes before Steve Sylvester blind-sided me during a punt return . . . I didn't wake up until the Elder game the next week.

It's all cool, though . . . Steve's now my real estate agent, and we won the snowy contest 6 - 3.

Nope, wasn't me.

Then again, I have no memory of the player who blasted me into sleep as I never actually saw him. I do have some vague recollections of the crown of a bright blue helmet striking me somewhere under my chin, but I fear I may have dreamed that part.

That's why I played defense!!! I started my HS career(LoL) as a 155lbs TB, and it took all of 1 shot by a varsity player during practice to realize that I wanted to play DB!!! :blink:

Nope, wasn't me.

Then again, I have no memory of the player who blasted me into sleep as I never actually saw him. I do have some vague recollections of the crown of a bright blue helmet striking me somewhere under my chin, but I fear I may have dreamed that part.

That's why I played defense!!! I started my HS career(LoL) as a 155lbs TB, and it took all of 1 shot by a varsity player during practice to realize that I wanted to play DB!!! :blink:

Ha! I have a very similar experience. Playing wide-out in a scrimmage, I couldn't get my chin strap fixed before the snap. A guy who claimed to be my friend clocked me off the line of scrimmage, sending my helmet more than 10 yards back. It wasn't long after that that I was asking to move to the other side of the line of scrimmage. Too funny. (at least it's funny now ... I didn't find it all that funny as a young guy)