DE- Antwan Odom, Frostee Rucker DE/OLB - David Pollack

OLB - Rashad Jeanty, Eric Henderson

MLB - Ahmad Brooks, Erin Henderson

WLB - Odell Thurman, Dahanni Jones

S- Chinedum Ndukwe, Dexter Jackson, Kyries Hebert

S- Marvin White, Ethan Kilmer, Herana-Daze Jones

CB- Jonathan Joseph, Chevis Jackson

CB- Leon Hall, Deltha Oneal, Rookie or Free Agent

What do I think? I think the Bengals defense needs to find what works for them, and stick with it. That hasn't happened since the days of David Fulcher. Forget trying to out think the other teams offensive coordinator. IMHO that has only limited odds for success. Just do what you do best, and keep smacking them in the mouth with it. :bengal:

Billy, if we could field a defense that had the fire to "keep smacking them in the mouth" I would be horribly overjoyed. Maybe Zimmer can bring that change !!!

WHODEY !!!

Great observation with the point of "Fire" Mark. We were coming close with the drafting of Thurman, but his off field indiscretions led that off track. I firmly believe it's not too late to regain what was lost with Odell, make those previous drafts pay off, and give the Queen City a top 15 defense that will validate those picks.

:huh: Then again it just may be the defensive team lover that resides inside me that wants to hear that. Basically I'm tired of seeing my team dwelling in the lower tiers of the NFL. It's equally as old as the Bengals absence from the Superbowl.

What do I think? I think it's a defense destined to give up 275-plus yards per game in the air. I am very apprehensive about starting two second-year, late-round draft picks at safety, and two young cornerbacks along with them.

As long as they don't play like the old D, If we can get pressure on the QB from the front 4 or 7, the 2ndary may not be that bad with the youngsters...

Well I love dorsey and his upside the injury thing is really starting to turn me off : /

I'd rather see

SLB Ahmad Brooks

OLB Odell Thurman

WLB Dahanni Jones / rookie

I can't help but notice that your depth chart contains both Glenn Dorsey and Dwayne Robertson. While that would be nice, I don't see it happening.

Yeah I don't see a CB in the second round either as we have two Number 1's living at CB with a grand total of 3 years in residence. Plus sometime in the draft we have to take somebody on the offensive side, especially OT and RB. If Stacy is not signed long term by draft day, I would expect them to use number 9 for OT if Dorsey and Elis are gone. Also, by draft day, they should have a very good idea of Perry and Iron's condition.

I thought we were going to blow it up and start over. How about:

RDE- Thornton, Rucker

NT - Peko, Rubin-Sims-Okam

LDE- Ellis, Odom, Merling, Fanene

DE/OLB - Geathers, Pollack, Gholston, Groves

ILB - Ahmad Brooks, Erin Henderson

TedLB - Odell Thurman, Dahanni Jones

Hopefully, we get some free safety help in the 2nd or 3rd (Reggie Smith?)

I'm not crazy about using Odom, Rucker, or Fanene in a 3-4, but you've gotta do what you've gotta due!

I'm cautiously optimistic.

I don't have any big hopes for this season, but on the surface it really seems like they're finally heading in the right direction. I'm very pleased with the Zimmer hire. They're finally not afraid to let go of stale players. I've always liked Justin Smith, but it was obviously time for a change. They're attempting to make some plays in free agency, and will hopefully add some D-talent through the draft.

As for the draft picks, I don't really see a CB in the 2nd round, either.

Also, I'd think the Pollack decision will play a part in their thought process. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

I'd be thrilled with Dorsey in the 1st round, though.

I can't help but notice that your depth chart contains both Glenn Dorsey and Dwayne Robertson. While that would be nice, I don't see it happening.

I could not agree more. If we get one, we will not pursue the other.

I disagree wholeheartedly. The current trend in the NFL seems to be having a defensive line loaded with talent, that way you can wear the opposing offensive line out and stay fresh all game. The Bears (Scott, Harris, Johnson, Dvoracek, Anderson, Ogunleye, & Brown) did it in '06 and the Giants incredibly deep line is the main reason they beat the Pats. After seeing this it seems that other teams (ie: Cleveland) are following suit. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see the Bengals take DT, DT, DE, LB or some variation of that with their first four picks. They might throw a RB, S, or TE in there if they feel they need to, but quality defensive linemen are gold right now.

Well I love dorsey and his upside the injury thing is really starting to turn me off : /

I'd rather see

SLB Ahmad Brooks

OLB Odell Thurman

SamLB Ahmad Brooks

OutsideLB Odell Thurman

WeakLB Dahanni Jones / rookie

thats 3 outside LB's..? itll go like this

Weak Ahmad - Middle Odell - Strong Dhani

I'd rather see

SLB Ahmad Brooks

OLB Odell Thurman

What a complete waste that would be. Like I keep saying to all those people who want to put Brooks at SLB, that would be the LAST position he would ever play. He's either in the middle or on the weakside where he can play in space and use his athletic ability, ala Lawrence Taylor. And Dhani Jones should be nothing more than the number one backup. He's not a starter on a good defense.

I'd rather see

SLB Ahmad Brooks

OLB Odell Thurman

What a complete waste that would be. Like I keep saying to all those people who want to put Brooks at SLB, that would be the LAST position he would ever play. He's either in the middle or on the weakside where he can play in space and use his athletic ability, ala Lawrence Taylor. And Dhani Jones should be nothing more than the number one backup. He's not a starter on a good defense.

Wow. You're a bright one.

The strong side spot, in this defense, is good for guys who are big and strong, and run alleys and blow s**t up, running downhill to the center, fillin' cutback lanes. That fits Brooks perfectly.

How about this one ??

Left End

Robert Geathers

Right End

Antwan Odom

Left Defensive Tackle

Glen Dorsey / Sedrick Ellis

Right Defensive Tackle

Domata Peko

SLB

David Pollack

WLB

Ahmad Brooks

MLB

O'Dell Thurman

Right Cornerback

Johnathan Joseph

Strong Safety

Chinedum Ndukwe

Free Safety

Marvin White

Left Cornerback

Leon Hall

Mock Draft Hope??

1.Glen Dorsey - DT, LSU - injury bug aside, he hasn't missed any game time and he's the best interior lineman in the draft.

2.Lawrence Jackson DE, USC - The Odom signing aside, There isn't any depth that can make a difference off the bench.

3a.Phillip Wheeler ILB, Georgia Tech. - Tenacity for the middle, athleticism and size for inside or outside.

3b.John Carlson TE, Notre Dame - Very Good hands, solid route running,& with our wide-outs,can you say 60% 3rd downs!

4.Tashard Choice RB, Georgia Tech. - Rudi's been great, but Choice is the next Curtis Martin.

5.Trae Williams CB, South Florida.- solid technique, decent speed and very good hands to become inherit nickle corner job.

with more to come ??

No comments regarding my idea on the deep defensive line? Come on people, it's what won Ohio State the 2002 NC as well.