Hobson's FA Preview

HoosierCat

It just confirms what we already know. That being, free agency is no way to build a team and as the years go by becomes little more than a way to fill only one or two slots....often for only two years.

As for the Bengals, I think they'll let the market set the price for their own free agents and then weigh the decision to match or better those offers. At the same time I expect them to join the bidding on players like Calvin Pace, Randy Starks, and a few others but their best chance to sign anyone will likely come after a prolonged drawn out bidding process.

It just confirms what we already know. That being, free agency is no way to build a team and as the years go by becomes little more than a way to fill only one or two slots....often for only two years.

Ahh finally, someone shows an understanding of what free-agency is really all about.

Kudos, Mr. Hair.

Nice throwaway line at the end about the bengals maybe drafting a running back, tho...

I've got no problem with the idea. Where I begin to buck is the idea of taking a RB real early IF there's equally good defensive talent available.

I'm all for taking a RB at No. 9 solely for the entertainment value of the resulting board meltdown.

But that's just me...

As for FA this year, I'm fine with the Bengals being their usual inactive selves, since there's not too many guys I'm all that interested in. Calvin Pace? Fine by me. Only other name that intrigues me so far was today's note that the Jets were releasing Justin McCarins.

While we're on the subject of FA, the market for safeties starts to shake out. From PFT...

POSTED 4:24 p.m. EST, February 27, 2008

DWIGHT SMITH TO DETROIT

Cut by the Vikings, safety Dwight Smith will now get to play them twice per year.

A league source tells us that Smith has agreed to terms with the Detroit Lions. He'll sign a two-year, $5 million deal.

Per the source, Smith gets a $350,000 signing bonus, a $300,000 training-camp reporting bonus in 2008, and a 2008 base salary of $1.35 million. Next year, Smith is due to receive a $500,000 roster bonus, a $250,000 reporting bonus, and a base salary of $2.25 million.

The move reunites Smith with head coach Rod Marinelli and defensive coordinator Joe Barry, who were assistants in Tampa when Smith played there.

I don't think anyone's asking them to "build their team" through FA - who does that exactly? What they need to do is be a FA player and go after one or two players that can help them immediately. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that and good teams do it all the time when needed. I don't care if it's a 2-3 year deal. How is that unusual in football? Is there an upgrade to be had at the Guard or Center positions? How about LB, TE, RB or Safety?

I'd be happy with one guy that can provide an upgrade to a position of need. The Bengals hardly ever do that.

I don't care if it's a 2-3 year deal. How is that unusual in football?

But most high profile free agents won't sign 2 or 3 year contracts. Any Bengal fan should know by now that any team who offers a coveted free agent a short-term contract isn't likely to sign that player. Those free agents are routinely so overpaid that teams are forced to spread the cap hit around by offering bloated long-term contracts that features phantom years and phantom money.

Paging Warren Sapp. Paging Corey Simon. Paging Joey Porter.

It's no coincidence that second tier free agents, the type the Bengals DO sign from time to time, are far more likely to sign contracts of shorter duration, and as a result are more likely to play out the contract. But there's the rub because it's not 2nd tier free agents that most Bengal fans demand the team pursue.

And on the potential-suitors-for-Justin front, Bucs cut Old Washed Up Dudes Carter, Spires, clear $9m+ in cap space to take Tampa to an eye-popping $44 million under the cap...

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/3923

The talk on local sports radio down here is a Justin/Gaines Adams Combo.....A QB of the future is the Bucs biggest need and a WR...They are talking Chad Johnson trade down here as well....

I don't care if it's a 2-3 year deal. How is that unusual in football?

But most high profile free agents won't sign 2 or 3 year contracts. Any Bengal fan should know by now that any team who offers a coveted free agent a short-term contract isn't likely to sign that player. Those free agents are routinely so overpaid that teams are forced to spread the cap hit around by offering bloated long-term contracts that features phantom years and phantom money.

Paging Warren Sapp. Paging Corey Simon. Paging Joey Porter.

It's no coincidence that second tier free agents, the type the Bengals DO sign from time to time, are far more likely to sign contracts of shorter duration, and as a result are more likely to play out the contract. But there's the rub because it's not 2nd tier free agents that most Bengal fans demand the team pursue.

I wouldn't even consider Ed Hartwell's, Sam Adam's, Mike Myer's, Robinson's, Stepnoski's and Dexter Jackson's "2nd tier" - more like 3rd or 4th tier guys on their last leg, with very limited abilities and not a lot of impact. Just fodder no one else wanted.

At least guys like Crumpler and Thomas can still make an impact short term, and help you. Simon helped Indy - however brief, for instance. IF they don't work out, big deal, not everyone does - Brown needs to get over the bargain hunting mentality.

FA contracts arent' always good deals or bargains or even "smart" ones - but you have to do that these days to compete and get beyond the 7-9 and 8-8 seasons IMO. Ecspecially when you have one of the league's best QB's in his prime.

The Bengals' personnel people making better decisions about who to keep, over-pay for a bit, and let go, are another issue. That $12mm in free cap money isn't doing any good at this point it looks like, could've re-signed a guy like Walter and not had such a problem with the #3 spot at WR last year - knowing you already had two injury prone guys at that position. Bad, bad personnel evaluation and decision-making just makes this all the more important to rely on known quantities in FA to make up for mistakes and carry things over (much like Kitna did for a few years here).

Bottom line is that the Bengals still handle their personnel decisions extremely poorly, and their track record of non-winning seasons proves that out quite clearly.

At least guys like Crumpler and Thomas can still make an impact short term, and help you. Simon helped Indy - however brief, for instance. IF they don't work out, big deal, not everyone does - Brown needs to get over the bargain hunting mentality.

Go ahead and make the case that Corey Simon helped Indy. I'll wait here holding my laughter in check as you explain why Mike Brown was at fault for refusing to make Simon the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. Show me again how foolish he was for backing away from that ticking timebomb when the bidding crossed over the line into utter stupidity.

As for Adalius Thomas, he should make an impact when you consider the staggering amount of money he was paid. But when you get right down to it the biggest impact he made was making Rosevelt Colvin expendable, and there's the rub because Colvin is just another example of a team making a free agent one of the highest paid players at his position without getting much of anything in return. However, on the plus side, all of those teams that missed out on Colvin the first time get another chance to pay too much for his services....as he's just the latest free agent to magically reappear on the market only a couple of years after breaking the bank.

So who amongst us wants to bet that Alge Crumpler won't be the next free agent to sign a huge deal, underperform for two seasons, and then become a free agent again?

Calvin Pace and Corey Williams would be excellent pickups I think. I'd like Mitchell as well just because but a SB winning LB will be after big money and big money only. A winning teamor the prospect of helping a Franchise on the cusp for a fair price isn't high on the list of wants for him I expect.

Go ahead and make the case that Corey Simon helped Indy. I'll wait here holding my laughter in check as you explain why Mike Brown was at fault for refusing to make Simon the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. Show me again how foolish he was for backing away from that ticking timebomb when the bidding crossed over the line into utter stupidity.

Wow. I have to agree with you there...the only thing Simon did in Indy was help sell Michelin tires from his uncanny resemblance.

I'm not so sure how much of not signing Simon was due to Brown's canny, however, since he wouldn't have paid a FA DT real money if was Reggie White reincarnated.

I'm not so sure how much of not signing Simon was due to Brown's canny, however, since he wouldn't have paid a FA DT real money if was Reggie White reincarnated.

Not true. Mike Brown bid a ridiculous amount for Corey Simon, but was saved by his refusal to go past the drop dead point he had formulated. Frankly, the only thing that kept that deal from blowing up in his face in spectacular fashion was the presence of another team willing to make an even bigger mistake.