walzav29

Let's say that the fab 6 are gone.

Long

Long

Gholston

Ellis

Dorsey

McFadden

Should the Bengals take Mendenhall? He would be a total package RB. I think that if those guys are gone, you can get the same value in the 2nd rnd at DT and OT as what would be left over. This is going to be the biggest draft since Carson Palmer. Last year was down because of injuries and suspensions. A home-run with the #1 pick will be huge.

If that happens, I'd want to see if any team is desperate enough to trade up to get Matt Ryan. Because you're right, if they're all off the board, you're looking at RBs and DBs for about 6 picks. Might as well drop a few and pick up a pick or two.

What about the Boise OT? I don't know much about him.

I don't want to see a RB there. The only one I'd even consider would be McFadden.

Rivers is good too. Don't settle for something less when you have a better guy available. If Ellis, Gholston, Long and Dorsey are gone, go with the best LB available. The Bengals will come out of the draft with the #1 or #2 LB opposed to the #5-7 D-lineman. Marv's gotta be thinking the same.

I'd also stay away from Connor because of his agent, Drew Rosenbitch.

McFadden is a bad fit because of off the field issues. I think if you are involved in a bar brawl before the draft you're dumb. I don't know any of these guys who are in bar brawls, and making babies with no regards that 10 million dollars has helped become a better citizen. No team needs to avoid character issues like the Bengals.

McFadden is a bad fit because of off the field issues. I think if you are involved in a bar brawl before the draft you're dumb. I don't know any of these guys who are in bar brawls, and making babies with no regards that 10 million dollars has helped become a better citizen. No team needs to avoid character issues like the Bengals.

Heck with that, you know what's dumb? When you sire two kids during the December before the draft. You have to know those kids just cost you about a million bucks apiece, right? I mean, seriously, wrap it up unless you want half the women around campus playing the 'McFadden Lottery'.

Don't settle for something less when you have a better guy available. If Ellis, Gholston, Long and Dorsey are gone, go with the best LB available. The Bengals will come out of the draft with the #1 or #2 LB out of the draft opposed to the #5-7 D-lineman.

This is quite possibly the smartest thing I've ever seen with your name attached to it, agreen. Keep it up.

I have no idea who the Bengals would go with - they could easily trade down at that spot if Gholston or Ellis don't fall, and still get the best LB in the draft in Rivers (IMO).

They also like Derrick Shaw, and then there's Clady - but the draft is too deep in OT's to take anyone but Clady at #9 (then again no one saw Levi Jones coming).

I'm not a huge McFadden fan, too small, too many issues, looks like another Reggie Bush, Bengals will be too reliant on him, he'll get hurt early etc...,. Mendenhall would be my preference for the Bengals' needs, if they for some reason go RB (hopefully not).

Don't count out Kenny Phillips either. Again I think the opportunity to trade down and get a 2nd round pick might be a real possibility.

I guess my list right now would be:

Ellis

Gholston

Clady

Rivers

Shaw

Mendenhall

Phillips

Again I think the opportunity to trade down and get a 2nd round pick might be a real possibility.

I'm going to bet it isn't. This is a deep draft, but one without a lot of blue-chip players, all of whom will almost certainly be gone by 9. I was on the trade bandwagon earlier in the year, but the more I look at it the more I think Hair was right and there won't be anyone compelling there at 9. That isn't to say there won't be good players available, there will be, but I don't see a move.

You're right. You're right. DEFENSE,DEFENSE,DEFENSE. What about Rivers though? Connor doesn't seem very athletic.

I'm with you about Connor he looks like robocop out there, he pulled that flu s**t to get out of the combine so he could have another month to train. I'm hoping the Bengals don't touch him unless they are getting him the second round.

You're right. You're right. DEFENSE,DEFENSE,DEFENSE. What about Rivers though? Connor doesn't seem very athletic.

I'm with you about Connor he looks like robocop out there, he pulled that flu s**t to get out of the combine so he could have another month to train. I'm hoping the Bengals don't touch him unless they are getting him the second round.

Its expected that Ellis, Long and Gholstein will be gone by #9 so the Bengals have 2 months to figure it out. No doubt they won't draft for need at #9, instead for best available athlete not a QB. They have to pay what $10 mill signing bonus? Better give that to a stud and not a reach.

I don't see any LB's that would rate a #9 pick.

Its expected that Ellis, Long and Gholstein will be gone by #9 so the Bengals have 2 months to figure it out. No doubt they won't draft for need at #9, instead for best available athlete not a QB. They have to pay what $10 mill signing bonus? Better give that to a stud and not a reach.

I don't see any LB's that would rate a #9 pick.

That's the problem though - assuming the board goes as it's shown, who *does* rate a #9 pick? I've seen a few rankings that have Rivers at #9. So if he is the best player available, and happens to fill something of a need...I figure do it.

Assuming Clady goes, and Ryan goes (preventing trade down), who do you take even assumign best player? Just our luck, the dropoff after 8 looks pretty steep.

Just our luck, the dropoff after 8 looks pretty steep.

Not to worry - after this weekend, we'll have some party-crashers in the top 10.

Possible suspects - Mendenhall (RB), Mckelvin and Rogers-Cromartie (CB)

Even if we don't want them, they'll be lots of others who will.

With Miami, Kansas City, Atlanta, and Baltimore all needing a QB...I don't see Ryan falling that far.

I'm not so sure. I don't think Parcells has 'developing a rookie QB' on his list of things to do, and new coaches at Atlanta and Baltimore may not want to do it either. And I think KC is still looking at Croyle as their future QB.

Best case scenario for us would be no QBs in first 8 picks, or ATL grabbing Ryan and Baltimore taking Brohm. I'm really hoping that Brohm and Ryan do something to help their causes.

Looking at Parcells draft history he will draft defense. So it will be whoever Bill thinks is the best defensive player available for the #1 with an outside chance of an offensive tackle. I'll bet he trades down though and takes a CB. That would be good for us, because I think whoever trades up (Dallas) they will take McFadden.

Looking at Parcells draft history he will draft defense. So it will be whoever Bill thinks is the best defensive player available for the #1 with an outside chance of an offensive tackle. I'll bet he trades down though and takes a CB. That would be good for us, because I think whoever trades up (Dallas) they will take McFadden.

I can't see them passing on Jake Long given the status of the team. You have to build in the trenches and work your way out. They drafted Beck last year to be the future QB though he didn't look very good in action last year. They already have a good RB in Ronnie Brown. The defense could use some players especially given Taylor's age and his annual retire/not retire game. They also lost Zach Thomas. They need a lot of pieces, but Jake Long offers the least chance of failure of all the the other picks. I am sure Parcells will bring a few of "his guys" in through free agency to temporarily fill some holes.

I don't like the idea of drafting a RB early in the draft. RB's are just too easy to replace. Just off the top of my head there is only one RB that is heads and shoulders above the rest and that is LT. Peterson has a chance but he needs to prove that he can stay healthy through a 16 game schedule. I also think there is quite a bit of depth this year in RB so to take one with the #9 pick would be awful.

I take either Rivers or Conner if Gholston, Long, Dorsey, and Ellis are no longer there. I would entertain the idea of trading down but I don't think there would be any takers.

"I take either Rivers or Conner if Gholston, Long, Dorsey, and Ellis are no longer there. I would entertain the idea of trading down but I don't think there would be any takers."

The problem I have is if those 4 are gone, I don't think Rivers or Connors is worth the #9. That's where the best player available debate kicks in and that is Mendenhall or trade down.

Personally, I think Mendenhall is going to be a better NFL back than McFadden. He's a more complete back, while McFadden's flash isn't going to translate to the NFL like it did to the college game. That being said I don't want the Bengals to draft him at 9. Hopefully someone goes in the top 9 picks that no one expects and one of Ellis, Gholston or Dorsey slips to us. If not I would take Rivers. That kinda locks us into a base 4-3 though.

"I take either Rivers or Conner if Gholston, Long, Dorsey, and Ellis are no longer there. I would entertain the idea of trading down but I don't think there would be any takers."

The problem I have is if those 4 are gone, I don't think Rivers or Connors is worth the #9. That's where the best player available debate kicks in and that is Mendenhall or trade down.

Now I'll preface this by mentioning how little I watch the Big 10, but what's got you so high on this kid? Most mocks I've seen have him in the teens.

Again I think the opportunity to trade down and get a 2nd round pick might be a real possibility.

I'm going to bet it isn't. This is a deep draft, but one without a lot of blue-chip players, all of whom will almost certainly be gone by 9. I was on the trade bandwagon earlier in the year, but the more I look at it the more I think Hair was right and there won't be anyone compelling there at 9. That isn't to say there won't be good players available, there will be, but I don't see a move.

Certainly not saying a trade "is likely" happen, but it is very possible the best OT, CB, Safety and LB will fall to #9 (at least).

It's a shallow draft for WR's, Safeties and CB's - someone with a need there and wanting the BPA may give up a 3rd rounder if they're close enough to the Bengals (or 2nd if a lower round pick etc..,). And if someone like Gholston or Ellis or Clady falls, even more likely. Teams could fall in love with a guy like Rivers as well, as there's a drop-off after the two best LB's in this draft. Shaw also. Deep draft for tackles, but Clady is still heads and tails above the rest after Long.

I can't remember the last draft that had a "bunch of blue chippers" any ways, with all the under-classmen coming out year after year, that just doesn't happen anymore. It's about other team's needs and how shallow a particular position is with top 10 talent.

I realize the Bengals' rarely are proactive or creative or aggressive with their off-season needs, and tend to settle for whatever falls into their laps though.

Let's say that the fab 6 are gone.

Long

Long

Gholston

Ellis

Dorsey

McFadden

Should the Bengals take Mendenhall? He would be a total package RB. I think that if those guys are gone, you can get the same value in the 2nd rnd at DT and OT as what would be left over. This is going to be the biggest draft since Carson Palmer. Last year was down because of injuries and suspensions. A home-run with the #1 pick will be huge.

Throw in the 2 QBs, Brohm and Ryan into the top 8. I think it's a good bet that one of the top 6 you mentioned above will be available at #9. Right now, I really think we're going to grab Dorsey.