Falcons Clean House - Release TE Crumpler

Bengals1

Here's the story from ESPN:

The Atlanta Falcons continued their franchise makeover in earnest on Friday, releasing tight eend Alge Crumpler, quarterback quarterback Byron Leftwich, offensive tackle Wayne Gandy and four other players.

Teh team also announced it had released cornerback Lewis Sanders, wide receiver Jamin Elliott, linebacker Marcus Wilkins and defensive tackle Rod Coleman.

"This is a difficult day for the entire organization," Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff said in a statement from the team. "A number of these players have contributed to this organization on and off the field at a high level and we greatly appreciate their efforts. These decisions weren't easy, but we felt they were necessary to build a team in the long-term best interest of the Falcons and its fans."

Crumpler, who just completed his seventh season, all with Atlanta, has 316 career catches for 4,212 yards and 35 touchdowns. He had been with the team since 2001 and was selected to five Pro Bowls.

Leftwich, formerly a starter for the Jacksonville Jaguars, was acquired by the Falcons during the season, was acquired by the Falcons after the Jaguars released him in order to go with David Garrard. He alternated with Joey Harrington as the Falcons' starter last season.

The fact that we need a TE of Crumpler's ability is so obvious. I would find it encouraging if we at least made a play for him. Alas, i fear we will do nothing...again. He would love playing with Carson. He would be valuable player on the field AND in the locker room.

Oh well. Maybe we should just stick with locker room leaders like Ocho Stincho.

Wow. Can you imagine how Carson would view having Alge? or how an opposing defense would cope with Chad, TJ, Henry and Crumpler?

If his knee is right, get him NOW! The Atlanta press is blaming his year on the knee. Could it have been the HORRIBLE QBs feably attempting to get him the ball?

Check out the knee and SIGN HIM!

I still believe the TE problem hasn't been the players, it's been the offensive play calling. They get ignored under Bratkowski's scheme. IMHO Heap, Winslow, Gonzalez, you name the player at this position would fare no better. He's a "down the field" OC from his days in Miami.

I still believe the TE problem hasn't been the players, it's been the offensive play calling.

It's both. No doubt, the Bengals don't feature the TE these days, but the closest thing they've had to a receiving threat in recent memory was Matt Schobel. When you stock the position with second-rate junk (Marco Battaglia, anyone?) or blocking TEs like RK, there's little reason to throw to them.

What it's always seemed to me that the Bengals want to do is to get that all-around RB and have him be the extra receiving threat and dump-off option, while the TE slot is dedicated to pass protection and run-blocking. Thus picks like Perry and Irons.

As for Crumpler, I would love to see him in stripes -- but it won't happen. RK is one of Carson's bestest buddies. Remember how he worked both Kelly and the FO to get him re-signed last offseason? And the Bengals invested what, 3 years and $9 million total in RK? No, they may well do what Marvin is hinting at and take a young, developmental TE prospect in the middle rounds this year, but IMHO there's no chance they drop big FA bucks on the slot now.

I still believe the TE problem hasn't been the players, it's been the offensive play calling. They get ignored under Bratkowski's scheme. IMHO Heap, Winslow, Gonzalez, you name the player at this position would fare no better. He's a "down the field" OC from his days in Miami.

I agree with all this but don't forget, at the end of last season Marvin said he was "Tearing everything up" "Taking down the playbook and tearing it all up." You can make a pretty good argument that part of that reassessment will be the play calling that de-emphasized the TE.

Whether as some have pointed out we go with a new 'developmental" TE drafted this year at some point or sign a proven veteran like Crumpler, I think it's safe to say the TE position will be a greater feature of the Bungles offense in the coming years.

I agree with all this but don't forget, at the end of last season Marvin said he was "Tearing everything up" "Taking down the playbook and tearing it all up." You can make a pretty good argument that part of that reassessment will be the play calling that de-emphasized the TE.

Whether as some have pointed out we go with a new 'developmental" TE drafted this year at some point or sign a proven veteran like Crumpler, I think it's safe to say the TE position will be a greater feature of the Bungles offense in the coming years.

I'll believe the "Tearing Everything Up" when I see evidence of it on the field. <_< Until then I will remain skeptical.

Good point about the knee. They might have gotten a 7th round pick from some team if there was any chance he'd pass a medical. As it is, they decided they didn't want to keep him and cutting him was their only viable option. Maybe the knee thing is serious.

From Mark Curnutte's blog:

The Crumpler question

Your comments on the question of whether the Bengals should take a look at linebacker Zack Thomas (released by Miami) led to many of you wanting the Bengals to make a run at tight end Alge Crumpler, released Friday by the Falcons.

Crumpler had the second highest salary cap number -- salaries, bonuses, etc. -- in the NFL last season at $4.7 million. He also has suffered injuries. Lost in the wave of big-name cuts was the termination of the contract of linebacker Marcus Wilkins, a productive member of the Bengals special teams before he signed as an unrestricted free agent with the Falcons a year ago.

Here is more on Crumpler:

By STEVE WYCHE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The first jolt of change for the Falcons came Friday, when the team released seven players, including four former starters -- popular four-time Pro Bowl tight end Alge Crumpler among them.

The cuts weren't that much of a surprise nor were they nearly as drastic as they could have been. Then again, more changes could be forthcoming.

"Today we accomplished what we wanted to accomplish as far as refining this roster," general manager Thomas Dimitroff said. "Today, our salary cap is just shy of $17 million space. Will there be more moves in the near future or later? I can't answer that right now. I do know we will consider this process of evaluating the free-agent market as well as the draft dynamic and, at that time, we will re-evaluate if we need to make a move or not."

Team owner Arthur Blank said projections are to have at least $23 million to spend in free agency, so more changes, either player cuts or salary restructuring, could be in order.

Other than Crumpler, one of the team's longtime leaders and best players, former Pro Bowl defensive tackle Rod Coleman, left tackle Wayne Gandy, quarterback Byron Leftwich, linebacker Marcus Wilkins, wide receiver Jamin Elliott and cornerback Lewis Sanders were released.

Among the tenured, high-salaried veterans spared in the initial wave of cuts: tailback Warrick Dunn, quarterback Joey Harrington, linebacker Keith Brooking, guard Kynan Forney, wide receivers Joe Horn and Brian Finneran, and safety Lawyer Milloy.

The commonality of the higher profile cuts Friday -- medical issues. Crumpler, Gandy, Coleman and Leftwich were limited and missed playing time during the Falcons' 4-12 run last season because of injuries.

"We looked at all the issues, weighed in all the factors, and it's not only age and injury," said Dimitroff, adding that scheme-fit and long-term contributions also were factors.

Gandy (left knee), Coleman (right quadriceps, knee, triceps, pectoral) and Sanders (pectoral) finished the season on injured reserve. Crumpler, 30, never fully recovered from offseason knee surgery, missed two games and had his second-least productive season (42 catches, 444 yards, five touchdowns) of his stellar seven-year career.

If healthy, Crumpler isn't expected to be out of work for long. Tampa Bay and Seattle are among teams in significant need of a tight end, especially one of Crumpler's stature.

i would be stoked if we got crumpler. in reality though my heart says we won't. I am encouraged though that Marvin finally feels that the TE position needs some explosion.

Yeah. Like they'll suddenly start throwing to the TE position on a regular basis. :rolleyes: BTW the Easter Bunny will soon be showing up at your house. For real! ^_^

i would be stoked if we got crumpler. in reality though my heart says we won't. I am encouraged though that Marvin finally feels that the TE position needs some explosion.

Yeah. Like they'll suddenly start throwing to the TE position on a regular basis. :rolleyes: BTW the Easter Bunny will soon be showing up at your house. For real! ^_^

We haven't been throwing to the TE because when was the last time we had a good catching TE? To say we wouldn't use a good TE if we grabbed one is ridiculous and makes you look like a moron.

The real question isn't if we'd use a TE its if we'll grab one. There's no doubt Carson would throw those quick outs and button hooks to an Crumpler or Shockey, while Houshmandzadah, Chad, and Henry all take the coverage down field. You don't win a Heisman if you can't use your weapons to there full potential.

There's no doubt Carson would throw those quick outs and button hooks to an Crumpler or Shockey, while Houshmandzadah, Chad, and Henry all take the coverage down field. You don't win a Heisman if you can't use your weapons to there full potential.

The question here Thurm, is not if Carson could or would use the TE. He could and probably would, were it not for the predictable and ass-backward OC who will not allow the TE to move more than two yards from the line of scrimmage on 98% of his play calls. Bratkowski does not recognize the importance of the run game or the TE.

Until Bratkowski recognizes the flaws in his game plan, we will not see significant production from the TE.

There's no doubt Carson would throw those quick outs and button hooks to an Crumpler or Shockey, while Houshmandzadah, Chad, and Henry all take the coverage down field. You don't win a Heisman if you can't use your weapons to there full potential.

The question here Thurm, is not if Carson could or would use the TE. He could and probably would, were it not for the predictable and ass-backward OC who will not allow the TE to move more than two yards from the line of scrimmage on 98% of his play calls. Bratkowski does not recognize the importance of the run game or the TE.

Until Bratkowski recognizes the flaws in his game plan, we will not see significant production from the TE.

Or our offense in general, IMO. What a criminal waste. :swear:

The Lions and Bengals should amalgamate and call themselves the pu**ies. Horrible defence and a talented but hamstrung offense.