Chad to Parcells: "Call me"

LABengalsFan09

Who's going to throw the ball to Chad? Cleo Lemon the QB of the 1-15 Dolphins? If Chad thinks he's going to be more productive in another offense outside of maybe the Colts and Patriots, he's going to be disappointed. The year Chad leaves the Bengals will be the first year of his decline.

Well I think his love for Cincinnati is a big act - it's obvious he's unhappy being here.

He was joking around in that video - as I don't know why anyone would want to go to the Dolphins right now, ecspecially him, unless he wants to wait at least 2 more seasons before they are on the upswing again.

I wasn't aware he was asked that type of direct question first.

Chad could prosper in a few offenses, beyond the obvious ones:

STL

DAL (Glenn is fragile, Crayton is overrated)

SD

SEA

GB

NYG

NO

JAX

TB

Not a given. Most of those teams would have to make room for Chad first before he could put up similar numbers there. I do agree with NO and JAX. He would have some success there. I just feel that the balance of the receiving corps here favors his production. He doesn't know how well he has it here. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

John Thornton on Chad . . .

Chad wants out

January 11, 2008

After hearing Chad Johnson’s interview today on ESPN Radio, it is evident to me that he wants out of Cincinnati. Being a teammate of Chad’s, I can tell you that most of us supported him this past year. The reason I say most is because I can’t speak for everyone on the team. But the general vibe I got from players is that he was/is supported by us. There are probably some guys who didn’t agree with everything that he has ever done, but he is genuinely liked in the locker room. Come back tomorrow to read my take on why I think he really wants out. Sorry, but I have to get ready to go out to dinner now and I don’t think Jeff Ruby’s SteakHouse has wireless internet access.

More on CJ 85

January 12, 2008

After having a day to digest what Chad Johnson said on Friday morning, I think Chad is just venting all of his frustrations out from the long season. I’m not speaking for him, but I can tell he is hurting. In fact, one time this past season during a pre-practice stretch, myself, Justin Smith, and Bryan Robinson joked with Chad about being traded. This was right in the middle of all the trade rumors. We said something about Miami trading WR Chris Chambers away so they can get Chad in the offseason. Chad laughed but soon turned serious and said “those trade rumors hurt me.” He felt like all of the good he had did in this city was for nothing. Many of those who loved his persona previously, now turned against him. And he was right. He didn’t do anything differently this season, than in past years. But since we were losing early, people said his “act” was getting old. I think he was being unfairly judged.

I think it all started in the Patriots game when cameras caught CJ and Carson Palmer arguing after a 1st half INT. Chad thought he was right and Carson felt he was right. It was two guys going at it. Happens all the time. Now its a big story.

What happens from here? I think the Bengals can and will do one of two things. The first is to call Chad or have a face to face with Chad and find out what is going on with him. Find out what they can do to help him feel better about the team, the organization, and the city. Chad is going to be doing a lot of interviews in the coming weeks. He is very popular during Super Bowl weekend and all media outlets will be there looking for him to say something bigger than he already has. So the Bengals should squash it while it is pretty much a local story. The other choice the Bengals could make is to do nothing. Both Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown already said, albeit two months ago, Chad isn’t going anywhere. They can let him vent for a while and hope he comes back ready to go once the offseason program starts. They know Chad loves football and won’t holdout or miss any games. Stay tuned…..

http://www.jt97.com/lounge/?cat=5

Chad laughed but soon turned serious and said “those trade rumors hurt me.”

My advice for Chad? Stop feeding the beast. Keep your mouth shut, and if that isn't possible....and we all know it isn't....say nothing about your wounded ego. Pretend to be the angry tough guy instead of the unfairly self-wounded martyr. And you could start by blasting away at those who embraced the idea of trading you (Hello) instead of repeatedly doing the very things that gave them the idea in the first place.

My advice for Chad? Stop feeding the beast. Keep your mouth shut, and if that isn't possible....and we all know it isn't....say nothing about your wounded ego. Pretend to be the angry tough guy instead of the unfairly self-wounded martyr.

Won't work. The media has already decided what "the story" is regarding Chad. The trade question will just be asked over and over again; it's the equivalent of the old, "So, Senator, did you stop beating your wife yet?" bit.

There's no right answer. If Chad says he doesn't want to be traded, it's "Johnson Denies Trade Rumors, Speculation Grows"; if he gets mad, it's "Trade Talk Makes Johnson Angry"; if he says he doesn't know where he will be playing in 2008 -- which is, after all, true -- it's "Johnson Wants Out!"; if Chad says nothing, it's "Johnson Refuses to Discuss Trade Rumors, Speculation Grows."

There's no right answer.

Yeah, there is. Let the media write whatever it will, but give them nothing that adds fuel to the fire. And Chad's not doing that, is he? Instead, he fans the flames and does whatever possible to keep the story going....probably because the trade talk and rumors are preferrable to being ignored by the press.

Again, it's a strong bet that as soon as the story starts to fade Chad will find a way to push it along....either in some half-joking way whose meaning has to be guessed or in some angry tirade that he knows the Bengals will have to ignore.

Trust me, Chad Johnson is going to do his very best to make sure that it's going to be a very long offseason.

Yeah, there is. Let the media write whatever it will, but give them nothing that adds fuel to the fire.

Again, doesn't work. No comment just leads those "Johnson Mum on Trade Rumors, Speculation Grows" pieces. And fresh fuel will be added whether Chad speaks or not -- be it some talking head on ESPN or some yo-yo teammate like Thornton blubbering on his site. As for Chad pushing it along, again that will happen regardless. If he shows his face in public reporters will rush to ask him about it; if he hides it's "Johnson Nowhere to be Found as Trade Speculation Flies."

The only thing that can spike the story now is for the Bengals to get back on the field and win some games, and that can't happen for months.

Again, doesn't work. No comment just leads those "Johnson Mum on Trade Rumors, Speculation Grows" pieces.

So what? You've just said that NOTHING works, right? So are you then going to claim that all types of responses are equal, including those that have Chad fanning the flames?

And fresh fuel will be added whether Chad speaks or not -- be it some talking head on ESPN or some yo-yo teammate like Thornton blubbering on his site.

But that's just the point. Chad's comments on ESPN didn't have to be made, and were enough to prompt the interviewers to say that they were shocked he was so candid. Obviously he didn't need to be that candid, but decided to do so for his own reasons....which is all Chad Johnson ever considers before speakig. As for Thornton, he's reacting to the interview on ESPN, right? So the story gets pushed along by Chad making statements he doesn't have to make, and then by the reactions from other parties. None of this is possible if Chad doesn't fan the flames....which sorta makes his remarks about being hurt by trade talk pretty ridiculous.

As for Chad pushing it along, again that will happen regardless.

But there's no reason to ignore how willing Chad is to keep the story going...which is what you're doing. Let's face it, articles may be written regardless of what Chad does, but there's a difference between a sportwriter offering empty speculation and an interview that provides the press with direct quotes.

So what? You've just said that NOTHING works, right?

Right

So are you then going to claim that all types of responses are equal, including those that have Chad fanning the flames?

All types of responses will fan the flames regardless of their nature. This has become about the story the media wants to tell -- that Chad is a cancer and wants/needs to be traded.

But there's no reason to ignore how willing Chad is to keep the story going.

I don't know that an ambush interview in an airport constitutes an example of Chad being willing to keep the story going.