3-4 or 4-3?

PhunkE1

That's what I figured, but I'm still reading articles on the web saying we're moving to a 3-4. They're probably just misinformed.

I just posted an article that appeared at the dotcom where Lewis claimed we were NOT switching to the 3-4.

Sorry all you 3-4 guys, wasn't my call. <_<

I don't see why we don't dabble into the 3-4. Most successful defenses are using 3-4.

Long term, I don't think it's a terrible idea. But those that run a 3-4 absolutely *have* to have a prototypical, 325-360lb NT. A guy like ex-Falcon Grady Jackson (who we could have had), Chargers' Jamal Williams. Peko would be our best bet, but I don't think he's ever done it before, has he?

Long term, I do think Geathers would be a good 3-4 SSLB, but it takes a couple of years to do a real 3-4.

Hair: I'm not sure I believe Marvin's assertion that 3-4 defenses don't get pressure. Seems to me that the mystery of who the 4th rusher is (for non blitzes) could give you an advantage.

I read somewhere that there are 2 reasons 3-4 has had an advantage..If only a few teams do it, theres the advantage of

unfamiliarity. And also the 3-4 backers and linemen are cheaper since only a few teams want them.

So if 3-4 becomes the norm, then 4-3 backers and linemen may become cheaper and unfamiliar.

Long term, I don't think it's a terrible idea. But those that run a 3-4 absolutely *have* to have a prototypical, 325-360lb NT. A guy like ex-Falcon Grady Jackson (who we could have had)....

After signing with the Jags Gravy Jackson admitted he was cut from the Falcons because he refused to stop freelancing....often ignoring the scheme and his responsibilities. Funny thing about it is he admitted this without apologizing. Quite frankly, I'm not sure what this says about Zimmer, since Jackson was indeed cut for being insubordinate, but I do know what it says about Jackson.

Hair: I'm not sure I believe Marvin's assertion that 3-4 defenses don't get pressure. Seems to me that the mystery of who the 4th rusher is (for non blitzes) could give you an advantage.

Lewis never claimed that 3-4 defenses don't get pressure, only that he PREFERS to apply pressure with down lineman. In fact, he's repeatedly downplayed the effectiveness of blitzing...claiming that it leaves you vulnerable to surrendering the big play. Sadly, the Bengals defensive front has never generated enough heat to allow Lewis to operate as he's prefer, and the loss of Pollack, Thurman, Henderson, and Brooks has denied Lewis ALL of his most effective pass rushing LB's.

Sadly, the Bengals defensive front has never generated enough heat to allow Lewis to operate as he's prefer, and the loss of Pollack, Thurman, Henderson, and Brooks has denied Lewis ALL of his most effective pass rushing LB's.

Huh, I'm forgetting what all of those guys other than Thurman has accomplished in the NFL over, say, Jeanty?

Didn't the Bengals' know they couldn't count on Pollack and Thurman well before the beginning of last season? Odell looked like he weighed 270 and was terrible in the 2006 preseason - falling back to 3rd string.

An undrafted FA, a CFL player, and ultimately a guy off the street replaced these guys?

Nice effort. "Efficient"

There's always an excuse. We've heard them for 18 years.

Always.

Nice effort. "Efficient"

Where were all of these NFL linebackers who were available.

You think that there were pro-bowl LBers wandering around Over the Rhine and all the front office had to do was walk around down there and load up on quality players?

For God sakes, we lost all of our starting linebackers and to you it is just that easy to replace them. I'd say that we were damned lucky to find Dhani on the street! Given the circumstances, what the hell did you expect?

Christ Shula, your ego is more bloated than Sam Adams' waistline.

Get the f*ck out of here with that bullsh*t.

Huh, I'm forgetting what all of those guys other than Thurman has accomplished in the NFL over, say, Jeanty?

If you actually watched a football game you'd know how rarely the Bengals use Jeanty as a pass rusher. As for the others, Pollack was drafted specifically to fill the pass rushing Joker role, and Henderson was moved there out of neccessity after Pollack was hurt. In the middle, Brooks has been used as a pass rusher far more than most MLB, and he too was hurt almost immediately. So that's three players lost to injury who played important roles in the Bengals planned pass rush rushers, including two starters, and anyone who, like yourself, ignores the impact of not having their services does so at the risk of being a raging douchebag.

I don't think the Bengals run a 4-3 or a 3-4 as their main defense the past couple years. I'd say they run Nickel the most. I swear they have 5 DB's on the field more often than not due to being on the field so much. I'd say the Bengals play Nickel 30%, 4-3 25% and 3-4 15% of the time.

Why this is even still a topic of conversation is beyond me. There is no chance in hell of us switching to a 3-4. To do so would be stupid, and anyone with half a brain would not even bring up the possibility, especially given our personnel.

DING!! DING!! DING!! DING!! DING!! DING!!

Excuse me guys. My emergency annunciator went off. It happens every time I agree with Joe Pong, but I believe he's actually right.

NO CHANCE IN HELL CINCY GOES 3-4.

... jesus :rolleyes: talk about a topic that'll never die! :beatdeadhorse: