Willie's roster bonus is today..

walshfan

Willie Anderson's roster bonus is due today.. 2 mil.....

do they still keep Stacy ?

IMHO no. If they address the OL position high enough in the draft, or perhaps solidly enough in the FA market (which isn't too realistic) we can easily do better than the Dancing Bear. This player is a one trick pony, which is pass protection. Run blocking leaves a lot to be desired.

Willie Anderson's roster bonus is due today.. 2 mil.....

do they still keep Stacy ?

IMHO no. If they address the OL position high enough in the draft, or perhaps solidly enough in the FA market (which isn't too realistic) we can easily do better than the Dancing Bear. This player is a one trick pony, which is pass protection. Run blocking leaves a lot to be desired.

The upshot to that scenerio is we would get a mid-round comp pick in next year's draft for him. And, while it would be a shame to miss out on being a part of his bright future, we have been able to get some good production out of him for the past couple of seasons -- he's kept Carson off his butt, the importance of which should not be underestimated.

Having said that, I would not be at all surprised if we make him a generous offer to stay -- considering MB's willingness to pay OTs well. And I wouldn't be at all disappointed if that happened.

The fact they paid Willie suggests to me that the Bengals aren't expecting Stacy back. I think they would like to re-sign him, but at this point Stacy has no incentive to sign anything but a mega-deal. Given the interest shown in him last offseason by the Jets, and the wads of cash that now get thrown at even average and role players, I think they are betting some team will offer him more than the Bengals want to pay.

With the loss of Steiny last year, the probable loss of Stacy this year, Adam Keift's inability to stay healthy, and both Willie and Levi hurt, expect OT high in the draft. If Ryan Clady is there at 9 he may be hard to pass by.

The fact they paid Willie suggests to me that the Bengals aren't expecting Stacy back. I think they would like to re-sign him, but at this point Stacy has no incentive to sign anything but a mega-deal. Given the interest shown in him last offseason by the Jets, and the wads of cash that now get thrown at even average and role players, I think they are betting some team will offer him more than the Bengals want to pay.

With the loss of Steiny last year, the probable loss of Stacy this year, Adam Keift's inability to stay healthy, and both Willie and Levi hurt, expect OT high in the draft. If Ryan Clady is there at 9 he may be hard to pass by.

totally agree. Clady could be the guy in r1@9.

Stacey will be gone. My guess is somewhere like Baltimore, Seattle or the Jets.

It still remains to be seen if Willie can get healthy. I think he is seriously prone to breakdown. So, that means if we take an OT pretty high, we will likley see him starting sooner rather than later.

It still remains to be seen if Willie can get healthy. I think he is seriously prone to breakdown. So, that means if we take an OT pretty high, we will likley see him starting sooner rather than later.

I hope they can sign him longterm and use #9 in round 1 for a stud defensive player. Why let a perfectly good and known RT walk when they have good cap room, they urgently need defensive studs and they draft high in April?

I hope they can sign him longterm and use #9 in round 1 for a stud defensive player. Why let a perfectly good and known RT walk when they have good cap room, they urgently need defensive studs and they draft high in April?

It is not out of the question but it will be effectively like giving Stacey r1 money....ie, can we afford two r1 picks? I defer to HoosierCAP to answer that...it also then means Justin is a goner (addition by subtraction?) and we won't have the cake to extend TJ or get after it in FA.

So:

Willie is kept.

Justin is a ?

He will demand/get big $ in FA...or we can burn the cash and keep him here at the expense of losing Stacey, thus psuhing the need at OT.

Satecey is a ?

He will demand/get big $ in FA...or we can sign him and let Justin walk, thus further pushing the need for DE.

I am more comfortable with our back-up OL than our back-up DL...just sayin'

Suddenly big in these decisions will be Zimmer's input. Maybe Zimmer will look at Smith and say "in a 3-4 Justin is a LB!"

It is not out of the question but it will be effectively like giving Stacey r1 money....ie, can we afford two r1 picks? I defer to HoosierCAP to answer that...it also then means Justin is a goner (addition by subtraction?) and we won't have the cake to extend TJ or get after it in FA.

All reports so far put the Bengals in the neighborhood of $30 million in cap space, though that will probably slip into the high 20s after the amount they went over the cap in 2007 (some $2m per Hobs) gets subtracted.

In short, even adhering to their usual "no cap games" allowed philosophy, they have ample room to maneuver.

Honestly though if the bengals let stacey walk, you have to assume Whitworth and Koositra are your backup tackles, which leaves holes at guard, and there are plenty on good college tackles available in the draft that can be had in the 2nd or 3rd than can back them up there.

A better question I think is do you think center Jeremy Newberry from Oakland will be available and would he be a good signing? At least that would put a proven veteran under plamer and guycheck as a backup.

The Bengals have plenty of cap room. Their problem is getting players to play here when they have other options. It's easy to sign guys who are just looking for a job. It's harder to sign guys who are difference makers since they are in demand. A team like the Bengals would have to overpay but needless to say that's not Mike Brown's first instinct.

If Stacy leaves, then Willie is the clear starter at RT. If Willie breaks down, Whitworth is next in line. If Stacy leaves, we really need to sign Whitworth to an extension, otherwise he might be leaving at the same time as Willie is retiring or being cut. We also need to find a way to get better play from the center position. I don't think Ghiaciuc has hit his ceiling yet but maybe he has. Stepanovich is a good backup center but I'm not comfortable with him as the starter. If we re-sign him, good. If he leaves, then we ought to look in the draft for a center of the future. And of course, if Stacy leaves, making Whit the RT of the future, we need a LG of the future too.

Haha Whitworth to RT and Faneca to LG?

I said this in another thread...I think it would be funny as hell to see Faneca give the Steeler's a big one finger salute by signing with the division rival Bengals.

I wouldn't want to commit the money to Faneca that he'll get from someone. It would just be a repeat of extending Willie all over again.

I said this in another thread...I think it would be funny as hell to see Faneca give the Steeler's a big one finger salute by signing with the division rival Bengals.

I wouldn't want to commit the money to Faneca that he'll get from someone. It would just be a repeat of extending Willie all over again.

Faneca is 2 years younger than Willie and has a lot less injury issues. He also has a mean streak that the Bengals offensive line has been missing since they let Goff go to San Diego...which I believe is German for whale penis.

Faneca is 2 years younger than Willie and has a lot less injury issues. He also has a mean streak that the Bengals offensive line has been missing since they let Goff go to San Diego...which I believe is German for whale penis.

And in that vein I'd like to add "Zimmer" is German for "room". ^_^

There is no way they do that, if they wanted to lock up a gaurd long term they would have resigned steinbech