PFT: BRESH FIRED!!!

HoosierCat

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how the releasing of Bres isn't being named a new official Cincinnati holiday...

If for no other reason than for the attempted change of attitude for the players and the organization. As I stated in another thread, when Marvin made the comment about this team needing to stop the run next year and be physical, that was the writing on the wall for Bres. He hasn't been able to do anything and certainly not PHYSICAL !!!

As for the replacement, I just have assumed it will be Henderson, but to tell you the truth, I could care less, as I can't recall how many times during the season many people have said their little sisters could do a better job. Anyone want to offer phone numbers, as it now appears your sister may get that opportunity ??

HAPPY DAY INDEED !!!

WHODEY !!!

I don't see how the releasing of Bres isn't being named a new official Cincinnati holiday...

If for no other reason than for the attempted change of attitude for the players and the organization. As I stated in another thread, when Marvin made the comment about this team needing to stop the run next year and be physical, that was the writing on the wall for Bres. He hasn't been able to do anything and certainly not PHYSICAL !!!

As for the replacement, I just have assumed it will be Henderson, but to tell you the truth, I could care less, as I can't recall how many times during the season many people have said their little sisters could do a better job. Anyone want to offer phone numbers, as it now appears your sister may get that opportunity ??

HAPPY DAY INDEED !!!

WHODEY !!!

army that funny you said that, i was watching the stooler bengals 2nd game. my 9 year old daughter knew that the stooler where going to throw the ball to hines ward lol.

If a new Defensive Coordinator comes in and does want to get rid of Cioffi and Coyle this could be a big mistake. With the young group of DB's the Bengals have and the strides they started to make this year, new coaches and new schemes could lead to backslides that will only hurt the overall development of guys like Joseph, Hall, Ndukwe, and White.

Agreed, especially in regards to Coyle. Under his direction Tory James and Deltha O'Neal have both earned pro bowl invitations, Jonathan Joseph was named to almost every all rookie team, and Leon Hall will do the same.

Safety play has been much spottier.

Or a new DC could come in and take these young athletes to the next level...

BTW I just heard the news :cheers:

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2008/0...ce-bengals.html

Panthers defensive backs coach Tim Lewis is being considered for the vacant Cincinnati defensive coordinator position, according to a league source. Lewis joined the Panthers before this season and previously was defensive coordinator for the New York Giants. It’s unclear if the Panthers have given the Bengals permission to talk to Lewis.

Lots of comments below this...seems about half are "Lewis wasn't the problem" and half are "good riddance to bad rubbish."

I feel bad that long ago I chastised Raider fans that gave us s**t when we picked him up as DC. I let his Superbowl experience weigh too much in my early opinion of him, and it appears they were ultimately right. :bangin: I'll take the hit on that. I guess that stemmed from my over exhuberance at a potential upgrade. I pray that doesn't happen again. B)

Stay negative about everything and you should be alright.

Hey Hair. I simply served myself some crow, and ate it willingly. That's what I do when I'm wrong. You prefer to shrug it off and argue on, and that you no doubt excell at. I respect your opinions, but I take them with a newly found grain of salt.

Wow, you should have adjusted your salt intake a looong time ago. You're talking about a guy that finds time to criticize everyone from Peter King to Albert freaking Einstein. Yet, somehow the WORST OWNER IN THE HISTORY OF PROFESSIONAL SPORTS is able to escape his wrath. Hmmmmmmm.

I feel bad that long ago I chastised Raider fans that gave us s**t when we picked him up as DC. I let his Superbowl experience weigh too much in my early opinion of him, and it appears they were ultimately right. :bangin: I'll take the hit on that. I guess that stemmed from my over exhuberance at a potential upgrade. I pray that doesn't happen again. B)

Hey Hair. I simply served myself some crow, and ate it willingly. That's what I do when I'm wrong. You prefer to shrug it off and argue on, and that you no doubt excell at. I respect your opinions, but I take them with a newly found grain of salt.

Wow, you should have adjusted your salt intake a looong time ago. You're talking about a guy that finds time to criticize everyone from Peter King to Albert freaking Einstein. Yet, somehow the WORST OWNER IN THE HISTORY OF PROFESSIONAL SPORTS is able to escape his wrath. Hmmmmmmm.

Don't you two ever tire of adding nothing of relevance to a thread?

Seriously, everyones talking about new coaches, new schemes, and what it all means...yet here you two are, talking about me.

Not that I blame you.

Just saying....

:lol:

Don't you two ever tire of adding nothing of relevance to a thread?

Seriously, everyones talking about new coaches, new schemes, and what it all means...yet here you two are, talking about me.

Not that I blame you.

Just saying....

:lol:

There is nothing of relevance to add to ANY thread that isn’t directly related to the incompetence of that boob of an uncle of yours. Let’s face it, nothing else really matters. Leslie Frazier was a good coach, but was fired because Marvin didn’t like his attack approach. Bresh had no chance, because he had no choice but to emulate Marvin’s Super Bowl defense, which is impossible given the fact that they don’t enjoy 3+ future Hall of Famers. In a ‘nut shell’ Marvin has failed, but SOP will never fire the guy that takes bullet after bullet for his sorry ash.

Per usual, Captain Nepotism opted for the cosmetic change, rather than address the real issue, which is the lack of personnel capable of properly evaluating talent (coaches as well as players). Bresh and Huntley are now looking for work. That’s fine, but how in the hell does Paul Alexander and Jay Hayes continue to have employment? Answer – who the hell knows, because that is how things work in Bengaland.

Any change that does not involve the addition of scouts (college & pro) and the hiring of a qualified General Manager is nothing but a sham to delay the inevitable mass exodus of fans from that gift of a stadium we call PBS.

Why don't you add something of relevance, like what you would do to change that abortion of a front office. Nothing Hair? Is there really nothing that you would change?

There is nothing of relevance to add to ANY thread that isn’t directly related to the incompetence of that boob of an uncle of yours.

Typical. Whatever the subject being discussed you can't bring yourself to offer an opinion about anything but Mike Brown or me. Or in a pinch, Albert Einstein.

You're a bit of a one-trick pony, aren't you?

Yep, Rex would be nice (compared to the other options). Would Ryan even want this job if he's not offered the HC position at Balt? Would the Bengals' count him out on salary alone? That wouldn't suprise me.

Didn't Baltimore clean house completely? if so i doubt they would fire him and then make him HC. Do Ryan and Marvin have any notable connections? And does Ryan run a 4-3 or 3-4 defense?

Yeah although I read that Rex was a consideration as the new HC for them - but that was a few days ago when the Billick announcement was made.

I'm guessing another lame-o cheapie who's desperate for a job, like Henderson, will get the call for the Bengals.

I'm sure he'll do wonders with the CFL talent here.

Gosh, I was wrong about you. You're on firstname familiarity with Baltimore's ex-DC. So I guess you are not just a lame-ass hater. And when you slander Donnie Henderson by calling him a "lame-o cheapie who's desperate for a job" you must really know what you're talking about. And I thought you were just an uninformed fat guy with an unpleasant attitude. But you are so much more than that, aren't you?

As for Johnathon Hayes, he sucks as did every guy on the defensive coaching staff except maybe Cioffi and Coyle.

I have to think that if they are going to bring in a new DC, most (if not all) of the defensive assistants are going to change. If I'm the guy asked to come in and rebuild this mess, I know I only come in if I have the final word on defensive staffing. But...remember here in PennyPinchInati our coaches are also our scouts, so now would be a really, really, really bad time to sweep the decks clean. (Which, parenthetically, is why the firing of Hunley suggests to me LB isn't a priority in April, or if it is they are going for an LB early when all you need to do is look at Kiper's big board.) So we may see more changes in defensive coaching bu it might take a few weeks since they are currently acting as ersatz scouts.

Yeah, why use current defense coaches to scout when, i'm sure, a real genius like yourself is available.

Why don't they just wait until they see if John Fox gets fired and hire him?

EDIT: Nevermind, Marvin's ego wouldn't allow him to have a defensive Coordinator that has been more successful as a Head Coach than he has...

Hey, you may be stupid and obese, but you make a really brilliant point here.

PFT, for those hoping for Rex:

POSTED 10:53 a.m. EST, January 3, 2008

REX RYAN INTERVIEWING WITH FINS

A league source tells us that former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan will be interviewing for the head-coaching job with the Dolphins.

Ryan is expected to be a candidate for the same job in Baltimore, even though Ryan was fired with the rest of Brian Billick's staff.

Why don't they just wait until they see if John Fox gets fired and hire him?

EDIT: Nevermind, Marvin's ego wouldn't allow him to have a defensive Coordinator that has been more successful as a Head Coach than he has...

Hey, you may be stupid and obese, but you make a really brilliant point here.

Excuse me, will someone please step on this cricket before it decides to chirp in again

Quick, somebody start a new thread about Bres being fired.....because this one seems played out.

It is. He's fired. I'm happy. Lets focus on who may replace him. I'm sure there will be plenty to argue amongst ourselves when it's decided.

I'm 100% about Rex Ryan... That would just make my freaking offseason but he'll either get a HC job somewhere or not get the dough to come here. Our team has seen his defenses, he'd have a ton of credibility and respect. I saw on Bengals.com where they mentioned him being under contract in Baltimore for another year, I guess it doesn't get voided despite him being fired?

I hope it's not Lewis, I'd definetely prefer not to sign from within and I'd rather see a LB/DL coach than some washed up coach *COUGH*BRESH*COUGH*.

I posted in another thread about the defensive coordinator from Dallas, Jason Garrett, being looking at as a strong possibility to get the HC job in Baltimore. With that being the case, it would at least make it more feasible for Ryan to be a consideration here. Atlanta was mentioned as trying to get Singletary from the 49er's as well, so who knows how this will shake out. I still think Henderson is the favorite for the job here.

WHODEY !!!

PFT, for those hoping for Rex:

POSTED 10:53 a.m. EST, January 3, 2008

REX RYAN INTERVIEWING WITH FINS

A league source tells us that former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan will be interviewing for the head-coaching job with the Dolphins.

Ryan is expected to be a candidate for the same job in Baltimore, even though Ryan was fired with the rest of Brian Billick's staff.

More on Rex from the Baltimore Sun. Evidently even though he was "fired" by the Ravens, he's still a canidate for their HC job, and presently allowed to use his old office while the others who were fired had to pack their s**t and hit the bricks!

Confident Ryan: I'd be 'good fit based on facts'

By Jamison Hensley | Sun reporter

January 3, 2008

Rex Ryan sits in his office at the Ravens' headquarters in Owings Mills uncertain about his future, but certain about his ability to be a head coach in the NFL.

"[The Ravens] know I would be a good fit based on the facts," the team's former defensive coordinator said yesterday. "And the facts are that my guys have played hard for me, no matter if it was veterans or young guys. They enjoy coming to work every day, and they enjoy playing."

Let go as defensive coordinator along with the rest of the Ravens' staff when coach Brian Billick was fired Monday, Ryan is allowed to work out of his office at team headquarters, where he is in career limbo.

Ryan expects to meet with Atlanta Falcons officials about their head coach opening at some point. Ryan said he didn't know when an interview would occur, but there's a strong chance it could happen next week. Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said this week that Ryan is on the Ravens' list of candidates.

"I have no idea for sure about the future," Ryan said. "There's speculation that I could get a couple of head coaching interviews. Obviously, I'm looking forward to those. If not, we'll see what happens from there."

It has been a strange time for Ryan, who has gone from the NFL's Assistant Coach of the Year last season to unemployed.

But because of his track record, Ryan likely won't be out of a job long.

In 2005, his first season as defensive coordinator, the Ravens finished fifth in defense despite missing linebacker Ray Lewis and safety Ed Reed for a total of 16 games.

In 2006, the Ravens' defense finished No. 1 for the first time in team history and led the NFL in fewest points allowed.

This past season, the Ravens still had the sixth-best defense while missing their top two cornerbacks (Chris McAlister and Samari Rolle) and their sacks leader from the previous year (defensive tackle Trevor Pryce) for much of the season.

Based on a poll at baltimoresun.com (more than 11,000 votes), Ryan would be well-received by the fans. Last night, former Steelers coach Bill Cowher had 30 percent of the votes while Ryan had 29 percent.

On the day Billick was fired, many players said they wanted Ryan to be head coach.

But being a players' coach doesn't mean Ryan would have a laissez-faire attitude when it comes to conduct on the field, he said.

"When you look at it as a disciplined standpoint, in the three years I was coordinator, we were the third-least-penalized defense and the second-least in yardage," Ryan said.

There is a chance Ryan could return as defensive coordinator if he doesn't become a head coach.

That decision would ultimately be made by the Ravens' new coach, but Ryan doesn't want to work "for just anybody."

"If it's the right kind of person, maybe I would listen, because this has been a special place for me," Ryan said. "But I'm definitely not going to sell myself short."

Although Ryan was fired, he technically has a year remaining on his contract. The Ravens might be able to block him from taking another defensive coordinator job under league rules. The Cincinnati Bengals yesterday fired their defensive coordinator, Chuck Bresnahan, and Ryan could be a candidate to replace him.

But the Ravens couldn't stop him from becoming a head coach, because it's a promotion.

And if the Falcons would offer the top job to Ryan, he'd be gone. In that scenario, he said it would be unprofessional to go back to the Ravens and give them a chance to keep him.

"I don't think you can do that," Ryan said. "If a team is gracious enough to give you that kind of position, obviously I'm going to take it full speed ahead."

jamison.hensley@baltsun.com