Reds trade Josh Hamilton to Rangers

BengalszoneBilly

By PAUL J. WEBER, Associated Press Writer

ARLINGTON, Texas - The Cincinnati Reds traded Josh Hamilton to the Texas Rangers on Friday for pitchers Edinson Volquez and Danny Herrera, using their surplus of outfielders to shore up a weakness.

The 26-year-old Hamilton was one of baseball's best comeback stories last season, when he finally made it to the majors after years of alcohol and drug abuse nearly ended his career. He batted .292 in his first major league season with 19 homers and 47 RBIs in 298 at-bats.

Hamilton showed why he was the first overall pick by Tampa Bay in the 1999 draft, displaying his speed, power and defense. His season was interrupted by an inflamed digestive track and a sprained wrist, but he still received 151,000 write-in votes for the All-Star game, the top total in the NL.

He was out of baseball from 2003-06, going through eight rehab programs for addiction to alcohol and crack cocaine. He has been clean more than two years, allowing him to get his life in order and resume his career.

The Reds got him in the Rule 5 draft before last season. Hamilton was warmly received in Cincinnati, where he readily shared his life story and became a fan favorite. He was expendable because the Reds already have outfielders Ken Griffey Jr., Adam Dunn and Ryan Freel.

Volquez, a 24-year-old right-hander, was 2-1 with a 4.50 ERA in six starts for the Rangers last season and is considered one of their top pitching prospects. He was honored as their top minor league pitcher last season.

In 26 minor league starts, Volquez went 14-6 with a 3.67 ERA, holding batters to a .190 average. The Reds need another pitcher to fill out a rotation headed by Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo.

The 23-year-old Herrera spent most of last season at Double-A, going 5-2 with a 3.78 ERA in 34 relief appearances.

___

AP Sports Writer Joe Kay in Cincinnati contributed to this report.

By PAUL J. WEBER, Associated Press Writer

ARLINGTON, Texas - The Cincinnati Reds traded Josh Hamilton to the Texas Rangers on Friday for pitchers Edinson Volquez and Danny Herrera, using their surplus of outfielders to shore up a weakness.

The 26-year-old Hamilton was one of baseball's best comeback stories last season, when he finally made it to the majors after years of alcohol and drug abuse nearly ended his career. He batted .292 in his first major league season with 19 homers and 47 RBIs in 298 at-bats.

Hamilton showed why he was the first overall pick by Tampa Bay in the 1999 draft, displaying his speed, power and defense. His season was interrupted by an inflamed digestive track and a sprained wrist, but he still received 151,000 write-in votes for the All-Star game, the top total in the NL.

He was out of baseball from 2003-06, going through eight rehab programs for addiction to alcohol and crack cocaine. He has been clean more than two years, allowing him to get his life in order and resume his career.

The Reds got him in the Rule 5 draft before last season. Hamilton was warmly received in Cincinnati, where he readily shared his life story and became a fan favorite. He was expendable because the Reds already have outfielders Ken Griffey Jr., Adam Dunn and Ryan Freel.

Volquez, a 24-year-old right-hander, was 2-1 with a 4.50 ERA in six starts for the Rangers last season and is considered one of their top pitching prospects. He was honored as their top minor league pitcher last season.

In 26 minor league starts, Volquez went 14-6 with a 3.67 ERA, holding batters to a .190 average. The Reds need another pitcher to fill out a rotation headed by Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo.

The 23-year-old Herrera spent most of last season at Double-A, going 5-2 with a 3.78 ERA in 34 relief appearances.

___

AP Sports Writer Joe Kay in Cincinnati contributed to this report.

I am absoutely speechles about this move.....I cant root for this kind of idiocy. Both sports teams have been bungalized. I support Dusty Baker and Francisco Cordero, but this move just baffles me. whyyyy??? Does Wayne want to lose his job?

They better REALLY hope this pans out.

I hate the move for now. If this kid ends up being an elite pitcher, then we'll all change our minds and call Wayne a genius, but for now I'm not happy.

We're trading known for unknown and that makes me very nervous. The ONLY current thing that would pacify me would be to learn that the Reds felt unsure Hamilton was going to be able to keep walking the straight and narrow. *sigh*

We just traded deficiencies. We were overloaded at OF and needed pitching. I'd say we traded an unknown for an unknown. I love the Hamilton story, but he was a 26 yr old rookie with past problems and current health issues. Time will only tell if this was a good or bad trade, but if all this guy turns out to be is a solid middle reliever or a 4th-5th starter, I'll be happy

We just traded deficiencies. We were overloaded at OF and needed pitching. I'd say we traded an unknown for an unknown. I love the Hamilton story, but he was a 26 yr old rookie with past problems and current health issues. Time will only tell if this was a good or bad trade, but if all this guy turns out to be is a solid middle reliever or a 4th-5th starter, I'll be happy

This guy has a fastball that is faster than Baileys and has been rumored to touch 100 mph and has a change that is 20 mph slower. His curve is 12 to 6 but he didn't get control of it until late last year. He was their #1 prospect in 2006 and struggled w/ confidence and had command problems that hurt his development. In 2007 he was rated their #3 prospect despite his struggles and he started off in single A to get his confoidence back. He bounced back and went through all three levels and made it back into the majors. He averages more strikeouts than innings pitched and has #1 potential. Wayne made a move that had to be made to improve this team this year. We acquired a solid #3(w/ #1 potential) w/out getting rid of of farm system. If you have a prospect that is considered the best prospect in all of baseballl, he should start. Bruce is Major League ready and shouldn't be in the minors.We have Hopper and Freel who will be above average role players and Keppinger backing up the infield positions. We now have three young power pitchers that throw over 95. I'd say that Volquez has the best stuff and is the most Major league ready as long as he don't beat himself up over little things. He supposedly has a really strong work ethic and wants to be great, something I wish Homer would have. I love Hamilton but he has a beaten down body and he is injury prone because of it. You cannot be addicted to crack for years and not have any side effects. Good trade both ways, both guys are high risk/ high reward. We got rid of a surplus and received a player to add to a shortage, made perfect since and should round out our rotation. Hopefully Dusty won't over use his young arms.

WOW.

I am really really surprised you all hate this move. This was a BRILLIANT move by Wayne Krivsky, absolutely brilliant. I love Josh Hamilton. I'm going to throw that out there. He was my favorite player. I hate to see him go, but this was a brilliant move by the organization. I'm a HUGE fan of minor-league baseball, and Volquez is NASTY. His heater touches 98 MPH and has a change that dips to 83. That is SICK. Not to mention his fastball is sinking which is PERFECT for GABP. At the beginning of this season, he started in High A and for some unknown reason he struggled a bit, but they promoted him anyways. And for the rest of the year, here was his numbers:

116.1 innings, 71 hits, 9 homers (all in AA), 40 walks, 128 strikeouts, 2.40 ERA, 0.96 WHIP, 9.9 K/9

He can step in and contribute right away to this rotation and be a huge upgrade and he's still improving and learning with a ceiling to be a number 1 or number 2 guy.

This was great GM'ing by Wayne Krivsky and you can put me back on his bandwagon. He turned a Rule V Draft pick into a flame-throwing possible Ace and also freed up room for the one and only, Jay Bruce. The best prospect in the entire major leagues. The Reds have an EXTREMELY bright future folks. Look at this rotation.

Harang

Volquez

Bailey

Cueto

Arroyo

That my friends, is DEADLY. We have the potential to have the best starting rotation in the Majors for a long time. We may not win the World Series this season, but expect us to compete for the division crown, if not win it. But, as our extremely rich farm system keeps progressin and improving, the Reds are once again a FORCE in Major League Baseball.

I think most you don't like this trade because of the likability of Josh Hamilton. I can see that viewpoint. But make no mistake about it, this is a GREAT move by the Reds. It's time to start getting excited about Reds baseball once again, folks. And I for one am THRILLED!

Best of luck to Josh Hamilton, by the way. I'm still rooting for ya, pal. :sure:

I'm torn by this trade:

I like it by the numbers, they turned a risky move last season into a possible starting pitcher and a prospect lefty. They have an over-abundance of OF's and lack pitching all the way through starters to setup man.

Emotionally I dont like it, Hamilton was a feel good story last year and he looked like he was very capable of improving more if healthier this season. I hope he does well for himself in Texas and he stays on the straight and narrow path.

Just like the Baker move, I'm waiting to see results before I make up my mind totally on this one, but I actually like it better than giving an aging Cordero the most mony ever for a closer.

I agree with this being a good move. The biggest reason to not like the move is because everyone loved how Hamilton was and how he produced after going through what he did. Feel good stories are just that, but seeing how we improved a weekness by moving an overabundance, it appears to be a very good move...

WHODEY !!!

If the Reds weren't overloaded already in the outfield, I'd hate it. Given that they are, I'll try my best to reserve judgment. Volquez certainly has nasty stuff, so let's hope he can actually made productive use of it down the road.

If we trade Bailey or Bruce, color me incensed.

Exactly TDB, the Reds have a bundle of people in the outfield and the move made sense. Volquez (as you stated) has some nasty stuff and the ability to drop the changeup after bringing a fastball of about 97-98mph. His curve (almost slurve) is said to have some ridiculous movement as well. This is a move that also allows the possibility of seeing Bruce this upcoming season. I to, would rather see them hold onto the youngsters on the pitching staff. I think the bidding for Bedard is getting up there and doubt it will happen.

Good luck to Hamilton and it will give me a reason to keep up with the Rangers !!!

WHODEY !!!

Hearing TDB and Army throw out the word "nasty" harkens memories of these three boys (Rob Dibble/Randy Meyers/Norm Charlton) from the Reds last World Series Championship, when they went "Wire-To-Wire" in 1990.

nastyboys.jpg Dang! Look how young and insane Dibble looked then! :lol:

That year was the LAST time any Cincinnati team has represent the Queen City at the Pinnacle of ANY sport!

WOW.

I am really really surprised you all hate this move. This was a BRILLIANT move by Wayne Krivsky, absolutely brilliant. I love Josh Hamilton. I'm going to throw that out there. He was my favorite player. I hate to see him go, but this was a brilliant move by the organization. I'm a HUGE fan of minor-league baseball, and Volquez is NASTY. His heater touches 98 MPH and has a change that dips to 83. That is SICK. Not to mention his fastball is sinking which is PERFECT for GABP. At the beginning of this season, he started in High A and for some unknown reason he struggled a bit, but they promoted him anyways. And for the rest of the year, here was his numbers:

116.1 innings, 71 hits, 9 homers (all in AA), 40 walks, 128 strikeouts, 2.40 ERA, 0.96 WHIP, 9.9 K/9

He can step in and contribute right away to this rotation and be a huge upgrade and he's still improving and learning with a ceiling to be a number 1 or number 2 guy.

This was great GM'ing by Wayne Krivsky and you can put me back on his bandwagon. He turned a Rule V Draft pick into a flame-throwing possible Ace and also freed up room for the one and only, Jay Bruce. The best prospect in the entire major leagues. The Reds have an EXTREMELY bright future folks. Look at this rotation.

Harang

Volquez

Bailey

Cueto

Arroyo

That my friends, is DEADLY. We have the potential to have the best starting rotation in the Majors for a long time. We may not win the World Series this season, but expect us to compete for the division crown, if not win it. But, as our extremely rich farm system keeps progressin and improving, the Reds are once again a FORCE in Major League Baseball.

I think most you don't like this trade because of the likability of Josh Hamilton. I can see that viewpoint. But make no mistake about it, this is a GREAT move by the Reds. It's time to start getting excited about Reds baseball once again, folks. And I for one am THRILLED!

Best of luck to Josh Hamilton, by the way. I'm still rooting for ya, pal. :sure:

Thanks for your knowledge... I was confused about this trade but you pretty much cleared it up. Hopefully (you seem confident) Vloquez is ready for a full season in the bigs.

Glad to see the reds dealing, hopefully there will be a few more moves before the spring gets here.

• 2 months later...

Well, I guess Scooter was dead on the money. Volquez is looking exactly as described and has earned a spot on the starting rotation.

Here's what we're looking at:

Harang

Arroyo

Volquez

Cueto

The fifth spot is still up for grabs with a little over a week until opening day. The Three are:

Bailey

Fogg

Belise

Who will get the fifth spot or will the Reds keep 6? The spot was there for the taking for Bailey and he just didnt' get it done. I'm not sure if he's ready.

Scooter says It's time to start getting excited about Reds baseball once again, folks. And I for one am THRILLED!

Me too!!!