Marvin takes no responsibility

generaldreedle

While watching the game last night on the NFL Network, I heard Bryant Gumbel make a comment that I found rather telling on how far ML has to grow to be any semblence of a real head coach. Earlier in the week, he interviewed ML and asked him about the state of the defense, since he is a "defensive guru", and why the defense is still lacking. ML answered the question by taking no responsibility for the state of the defense, and that he cannot spend/concentrate any extra time on one side of the ball as a head coach. Is this asswipe for real!!!!! Marvin you are 100% responsible for this defense! Theses are your players, your DC, and the scheme you wanted. To absolve yourself for the continued s**tty play of the defense borders on absurdity! How can he tell his players to be responsible for their play on the field, when he won't take any responsibility himself? With this attitude, I feel that ML would make a great assistant on Petrino's staff!! :lol:

While watching the game last night on the NFL Network, I heard Bryant Gumbel make a comment that I found rather telling on how far ML has to grow to be any semblence of a real head coach. Earlier in the week, he interviewed ML and asked him about the state of the defense, since he is a "defensive guru", and why the defense is still lacking. ML answered the question by taking no responsibility for the state of the defense, and that he cannot spend/concentrate any extra time on one side of the ball as a head coach. Is this asswipe for real!!!!! Marvin you are 100% responsible for this defense! Theses are your players, your DC, and the scheme you wanted. To absolve yourself for the continued s**tty play of the defense borders on absurdity! How can he tell his players to be responsible for their play on the field, when he won't take any responsibility himself? With this attitude, I feel that ML would make a great assistant on Petrino's staff!! :lol:

Marvin is on his way out. I think he's just waiting for the season to end and he'll be off to either another pro head coaching gig or a Div 1 college program. In all fairness to Marvin, he built a good team thru the draft but injuries and suspensions sucked the life out of the team. Its like the Bengals didn't have a first day draft in 2004 & 2005. Miami shows what happens to teams that can't keep their draft picks. Speaking of Miami, I think its 50-50 that the Bengals end the 2007 season the same way they finished the 2006 season, with a 3 game losing streak.

ML answered the question by taking no responsibility for the state of the defense, and that he cannot spend/concentrate any extra time on one side of the ball as a head coach.

Is that a cop out or what? BTW, this lack of character has been well documented before. The longer this goes on, the more I think Marvin may have fell into a temporarily good situation set up by Dick LeBeau and many years of extremely high Bengals draft picks when he came to Cincinnati.

OTOH, working with no GM under proven football failure Mike Brown, maybe NO head coach really has a chance to succeed here! I don't care how much HairOnFire tries to put a positive spin on Mikie. It always ends up to be about as impressive as a polished turd. I'm convinced at this point we could bring in New England's Bill Belichick, and he'd look just like he did when he coached Cleveland in 1991.

In short, Marvin may have too much on his plate to put his attention where it's needed most...getting the team ready to play.

OTOH, working with no GM under proven football failure Mike Brown, maybe NO head coach really has a chance to succeed here! I don't care how much HairOnFire tries to put a positive spin on Mikie.

I've never really tried to put a positive spin on soP. It is what it is.

I'm simply not willing to use his presence as an excuse for everything...as so many of you are. For example, last night we watched yet another failure by a mostly healthy Bengal offense and for my money that means pointing a finger at Brat, Marvin, Carson, Chad, and all of the others who have proven in the past that they can perform at a very high level, but aren't doing so now.

Look at it this way. Last night Chad let perfectly thrown passes bounce off his shoulder pad on 3rd down, whizz by his helmet because he wasn't looking back for the ball on another 3rd down opportunity, and finally....slip from his grasp as he fell out of the endzone on the most critical play of the game.

What did Mike Brown have to do with any of those failures?

I've never really tried to put a positive spin on soP.

Whoa. For not even trying you're pretty damn good! ^_^

Look at it this way. Last night Chad let perfectly thrown passes bounce off his shoulder pad on 3rd down, whizz by his helmet because he wasn't looking back for the ball on another 3rd down opportunity, and finally....slip from his grasp as he fell out of the endzone on the most critical play of the game.

I'm going with the the answer of bad karma.

Whoa. For not even trying you're pretty damn good! ^_^

Not really. For example, I was just accused of mindlessly defending Mike Brown in a thread about the Bengals not sending scouts to a game with no NFL propects. For my part, I did a little research and proved what I already suspected...that the highest rated player in that game was ranked as an undrafted free agent. Knowing that, how can what I do be desribed as spin? Conversely, why isn't it considered spin when my accuser adds nothing to the debate but a reminder of the day the Bengals sent Tony Siragusa a ticket to fly coach? Point blank, whose points are more relevant?

I'm going with the the answer of bad karma.

With all due respect, that's as empty as Jet's habit to remind everyone of the type of car Mike Brown drives in a thread about scouting. In short, you can trot out the Mike Brown excuse under any circumstance and in regards to any topic and all it does is derail the conversation. As for me, I'm not going to give Bengal players or coaches a free pass simply because Mike Brown is a despised figure and a convenient whipping boy....and if that's spin then so be it.

With all due respect, that's as empty as Jet's habit to remind everyone of the type of car Mike Brown drives in a thread about scouting. In short, you can trot out the Mike Brown excuse under any circumstance and in regards to any topic and all it does is derail the conversation. As for me, I'm not going to give Bengal players or coaches a free pass simply because Mike Brown is a despised figure and a convenient whipping boy....and if that's spin then so be it.

I'm not despising him because he's "convienient". It's more about his record as owner, which isn't what anyone would like it to be. Now is he trying to improve his team? Of course he is. Who wouldn't be? I'm just saying his decision making has been poor at best.

Could I or anyone else here do better? Doubtful, but I could easily match his losing record.

SOP has one goal, which is to maximize his profits. If you do not know this for a fact, you are either stupid...... or related.

I point out SOP's cheap ways (past & present), because he is a 'man' that deserves to be embarrassed. I do not believe the Coaches and Players deserve a 'free pass', but criticizing them is futile. Mike Brown does not have the common sense, resources or will to hire or sign competent replacements. So then, if somebody slams Mike Brown for being cheap, I'm all in baby!

You can point out the irrelevance of the Div II Championship game, but why did 31 other teams send a representative? They had no problem justifying the expense. Apparently justifying NFL expenses is not a strong suit for good ole Mike. Frankly, I could give a rats a$$ about the Div II Championship game, but once again it is SOP on one side of the ledger and everyone else on the other. 92-170 on one side, everyone else on the other. I didn't have to google 'Division II draft prospects' to suspect who is wrong here. It's just another reminder of which NFL Owner cares the least about winning. As if we needed another.

SOP has one goal, which is to maximize his profits. If you do not know this for a fact, you are either stupid...... or related.

Well which is it? You once accused me of being Mike Brown. Now you're implying I'm a relative? Truth be told, you're little more than an idiot who can't debate the issues and as a result is reduced to trotting out unoriginal psuedo insults. You have my pity.

I point out SOP's cheap ways (past & present), because he is a 'man' that deserves to be embarrassed.

I'm betting Mike Brown doesn't know you even exist, let alone feel the sting of your biting commentary.

I do not believe the Coaches and Players deserve a 'free pass', but criticizing them is futile.

In other words, you don't think the players deserve a free pass, but that's what you'll give them.....because you're so busy holding Mike Brown's feet to the fire. Well, that's just brilliant. (Sarcasm)

Frankly, I could give a rats a$$ about the Div II Championship game, but once again it is SOP on one side of the ledger and everyone else on the other.

And there it is. You've got your flowered panties in a tightly wadded bunch over something you don't give a rats ass about, and because your crusade is pure you're not going to let a little thing like facts and relevance get in your way.

All things considered, I think you may be a slack-jawed mouth-breathing idiot, but I'm becoming more and more convinced that Mike Brown trembles at the very mention of your fake name.

Marvin is on his way out. I think he's just waiting for the season to end and he'll be off to either another pro head coaching gig or a Div 1 college program. In all fairness to Marvin, he built a good team thru the draft but injuries and suspensions sucked the life out of the team. Its like the Bengals didn't have a first day draft in 2004 & 2005. Miami shows what happens to teams that can't keep their draft picks. Speaking of Miami, I think its 50-50 that the Bengals end the 2007 season the same way they finished the 2006 season, with a 3 game losing streak.

Only issue I have there is that the rest of Marvin's picks didn't pan out so well either - everyone from Madeiu to Caleb Miller have been disappointing, Ratliff, a 2nd round pick, is gone, a 3rd rounder in Rucker has hardly ever seen the field, Guy-chick is a below average NFL center and always will be, Andrews the same at RT. Odell was purely a character gamble that didn't work out at all, and Henry came very close to the same fate based solely on character, and has missed many games as a result. You could argue that Palmer, Whitworth, Hall (reluctantly being a rookie) and JJ are the only picks that have truly worked out in his 5 years here.

So basically he's had Perry, Irons and Pollack not pan out due to injury - one mid-round 1st rounder and the other near the bottom of the 1st. Two of those at the same position where they already had someone locked up long term, who had 1300-1400 yard, 10 TD seasons under his belt.

Perry was slated to be a 3rd down back and Pollack was a project playing a new position and was a situational pass rusher who held out of camp and never caught up.

Hardly the "devastating" injury situation people make it out to be. The Bengals' simply didn't do enough to bolster their roster in FA, made some bad RFA decisions, and drafted poorly over-all.

Well which is it? You once accused me of being Mike Brown. Now you're implying I'm a relative? Truth be told, you're little more than an idiot who can't debate the issues and as a result is reduced to trotting out unoriginal psuedo insults. You have my pity.

Oh Hair, you great big successful entrepreneur you. Your words hurt, kind of like....you know when you're weed whacking and you accidentally graze....wait a minute, look who I'm telling. Anyway, don't you have another cause to champion, like maybe OJ's innocence?

Anyway, don't you have another cause to champion, like maybe OJ's innocence?

A sore subject, as my wife and I were once well acquainted with Ron Goldman's parents.

That said, you have provided an example of a person who actually deserves to be hated and despised by society....unlike an owner of a football team whose biggest failure is providing you with a local entertainment option you probably don't deserve.

:lmao:

While watching the game last night on the NFL Network, I heard Bryant Gumbel make a comment that I found rather telling on how far ML has to grow to be any semblence of a real head coach.

Careful. If you take much of what Bryant Gumbel said, then you'd think that Frank Gore was an environmental fundamentalist freshman from Zimbabwe.

I point out SOP's cheap ways (past & present), because he is a 'man' that deserves to be embarrassed. I do not believe the Coaches and Players deserve a 'free pass', but criticizing them is futile. Mike Brown does not have the common sense, resources or will to hire or sign competent replacements. So then, if somebody slams Mike Brown for being cheap, I'm all in baby!

I would bet that every other owner in the NFL has "maximize profits" as there #1 priority every year.

I would bet that every other owner in the NFL has "maximize profits" as there #1 priority every year.

Yet they all seem to find a way to have a real GM and a competitive number of both scouts and medical staff...

File this one under "For whatever it might be worth".......

Dan Pompeii was on ESPN's First Take and said his sources have learned that Marvin Lewis won't be fired, an upheaval in the defensive coaching staff is likely, and to look for the Bengals to "make several trades or cut some players loose" this offseason.

All things considered I have to wonder if I was his source. :huh:

Yet they all seem to find a way to have a real GM and a competitive number of both scouts and medical staff...

It is a bit strange that Brown refuses to hire a GM for his team. However Marvin's inability to keep this team together is on him. 5-12 since December of last year. that's ridiculously bad with the talent we have, and a disturbing trend that doesn't seem to be changing

It is a bit strange that Brown refuses to hire a GM for his team. However Marvin's inability to keep this team together is on him. 5-12 since December of last year. that's ridiculously bad with the talent we have, and a disturbing trend that doesn't seem to be changing

Not really. Said it in another post. The Browns simply don't want someone smarter than them. It would make them look bad. I know, I know. With that logic, then one has to wonder why they don't feel like they're viewed as stupid now... they must not read BengalsZone.

File this one under "For whatever it might be worth".......

Dan Pompeii was on ESPN's First Take and said his sources have learned that Marvin Lewis won't be fired, an upheaval in the defensive coaching staff is likely, and to look for the Bengals to "make several trades or cut some players loose" this offseason.

All things considered I have to wonder if I was his source. :huh:

So, pretty much the same thing they've done the last several years.

Not really. Said it in another post. The Browns simply don't want someone smarter than them. It would make them look bad. I know, I know. With that logic, then one has to wonder why they don't feel like they're viewed as stupid now... they must not read BengalsZone.

Oh believe me it's by no means limited to just BengalsZone.

So, pretty much the same thing they've done the last several years.

Pompeii implied it was a common strategy, following up the rumor about the Bengals plans with one claiming John Fox was safe in Carolina, describing owner Jerry Richardson as another "stay the course" type.

The difference being that Carolina was 4-2 when their QB went down. Maybe Fox isn't innocent in that team's collapse, but you can point to one huge player going down for the reason that team has bottomed out. Not the case in Cincy

You have got to be kidding. How can you take something an incompetent half-wit like Gumbel says as the gospel truth, much less use it to condemn Marvin Lewis. Really, I think you are the "asswipe". But you're not alone. 90% of the people who post in this forum have responded to the Bengals' disappointing season like 2 year-olds who have had their pacifier taken away. Grow up. No,shut up. No, better yet, just wipe the snot off your face.

Only issue I have there is that the rest of Marvin's picks didn't pan out so well either - everyone from Madeiu to Caleb Miller have been disappointing, Ratliff, a 2nd round pick, is gone, a 3rd rounder in Rucker has hardly ever seen the field, Guy-chick is a below average NFL center and always will be, Andrews the same at RT. Odell was purely a character gamble that didn't work out at all, and Henry came very close to the same fate based solely on character, and has missed many games as a result. You could argue that Palmer, Whitworth, Hall (reluctantly being a rookie) and JJ are the only picks that have truly worked out in his 5 years here.

So basically he's had Perry, Irons and Pollack not pan out due to injury - one mid-round 1st rounder and the other near the bottom of the 1st. Two of those at the same position where they already had someone locked up long term, who had 1300-1400 yard, 10 TD seasons under his belt.

Perry was slated to be a 3rd down back and Pollack was a project playing a new position and was a situational pass rusher who held out of camp and never caught up.

Hardly the "devastating" injury situation people make it out to be. The Bengals' simply didn't do enough to bolster their roster in FA, made some bad RFA decisions, and drafted poorly over-all.

I am sorry to see that you are still misusing the local public library's computer to pontificate on matters beyond your ken. If nothing else, you are living proof that hindsight is not 20/20 from the ass end of the gene pool.