The Bubble Talk Is Back

AMC

UC looks at bubble structure

BY BILL KOCH | BKOCH@ENQUIRER.COM

University of Cincinnati officials are exploring the possibility of buying an air-supported bubble structure to allow the football team to practice indoors during inclement winter weather, with an eye toward possibly sharing such a facility with the Bengals.

The structure, which would take three to four days to erect and could be taken down in the same time, also could be used for other sports on campus and for winter workouts for the football team.

UC athletic director Mike Thomas said Tuesday that he met with Bengals officials to gauge their interest in a shared facility.

"It was a very productive meeting," Thomas said. "There's still a lot of questions to be answered - cost, site, all the logistics of mechanical pieces and engineering pieces - but I thought the meeting with the Bengals couldn't have gone better.

"They're intrigued by what we're doing because they define that as a need for them."

Thomas said UC officials will continue to explore the project and then get back to the Bengals, who presumably would share the cost if it's something they're interested in.

At this juncture, Thomas said, no funding has been identified for such a structure, nor has a site been determined.

But several sites are being explored, including Gettler Stadium, the soccer and track complex just to the southeast of Nippert Stadium, and the football stadium itself.

Thomas estimated that it would cost a minimum of just less than $1 million to purchase an air-supported bubble, he but said other costs could push the price tag higher.

If the bubble were constructed in Gettler Stadium, it wouldn't be erected until after soccer season ended in late November next year, making it available for the football team to practice in during December as it prepares for a bowl game.

Thomas said he couldn't predict if the Bearcats would have a bubble in place by December 2008.

Lonnie Wheeler counters Koch's report about "a very productive meeting":

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/lonni...ubble.asp#links

There have been discussions with the Bengals about sharing and co-funding the facility, but those have reportedly been unproductive. The project won’t be delayed on that basis, however.

Hmmm...talks with Mikey involving him parting with $$$ have been "unproductive." Why am I not surprised. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure I understand why this is a big deal. First of all, when is the weather THAT inclement in Cincinnati. It gets pretty cold but never rediculously cold. It snows a little but Cincy really doesn't get a lot of snowfall. It rains a little but - relatively speaking - it's not as bad as other areas of the country. Do we not practice now when the weather is inclement? We definitely play games when it's inclement.

Is the issue recruiting? How many other teams have "bubbles"?

It seems like if this was really such a critical issue $1-2M wouldn't be a show stopper even for MB.

You guys should see where the Bengals have to practice. It's almost a crime.

Seriously, I couldn't imagine standing there on that state-of-the-art practice field looking towards magnificent Paul Brown Stadium, a historic bridge at my back, the mighty Ohio River to my right, the Cincinnati skyline to my left. Landscaping and trees dotting the view, distracting me in ways no wall of plastic ever could.

Not to mention being constantly exposed to the very same weather I'll soon have to play in. Or the fact that off-site indoor facilities are readily available should the need arise.

(((Shakes fist at the sky. Places plastic bag on head.)))

Jesus Shula, and all this time all those problems could be taken care of with a practice bubble huh ?? Well get to building MB !!!

I know you didn't mean it that way, or maybe you did, but the bubble seems like a stupid thing in regards to the value placed on training as you play. Or allow me to place yet another Military spin on things and say, Soldiers are taught to train as you fight. Meaning if you fight with all your gear on (Body Armor, Helmet, and so on) then you should train with said gear on as well. Wouldn't it also make sense that since the Bengals play in the cold, rain, or whatever else, that it would be beneficial to practice in those same conditions ?? If the need arises, like HOF commented, they can go to the indoor facility. I just think to much is being placed on something that (in my opinion) would actually decrease the readiness of a football team.

WHODEY !!!