The Running Game

The PatternMaster

I'm sure we're all aware of the stats of the correalation between the amount of rushing attempts tied into our record, I believe when we rush the ball 30 times or more our record is 27-8, which would make us one of the elite teams in the NFL. When you see a stat like that it makes you wonder why they don't make sure they run the ball atleast 30 times every game, regardless of the score.

Yesterday they were down by 13 pts late in the 3rd quarter but for some reason they stuck with the running game and it paid off, ultimately sparking the comeback. But why was yesterday different, why did Brat uncharacteristically stick with the running, maybe he forced too...

Even after they fell behind 23-10 just 3:45 into the third quarter. It doesn't take much for offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski to start chucking the ball, but he stuck to the game plan and joked in the second half that he thought he was in detox when he started shaking because he couldn't call passes

Why is it that Brat "couldn't" call passes...

"We felt running the ball was the best way to beat them," Bratkowski said after calling it 41 times. "We challenged them at halftime. We knew we had to make every snap and run count."

For the first time since quarterback Carson Palmer can remember, the Bengals didn't use the no-huddle since they installed it.

What's all this "we" business, do you guys think Brat got some suggestions as to how to call the plays and which ones to call from some higher ups who didn't like to see a pass on 3rd & 2 in the red zone?

Football is a physical game in which one team has to impose their will on the other and running the ball is the perfect way to achieve that goal. Running the ball also helps a struggling offensive line because it allows them to set the tone with their opponents and gives them confidence. Plus it opens things up for our dynamic wr duo, teams can't double team TJ and Chad if they have to worry about stopping the run.. but we all know this, why isn't done every game is another question.

I think Brat is an offensive genius, he's a wonderful play caller when he's calling a balanced game. Maybe he doesn't have confidence in our running backs(see first day draft picks, none of whom have played this season btw) but whatever the reason he just doesn't call balanced games on a consistant basis. The best offenses in the past 30 years have been

balanced ones, the 49'ers of the 80's could beat you throwing the ball to Rice or handing off to Craig, the Cowboys of the 90's had the same deal with Emmitt and Irvin, the Colts are at their best when they a compliment to Peyton either name Edge or Addia, get my point. I believe we have the talent to acheive the balance on offense we just need the play caller, whether it be Brat or Carson to believe as well.

I think some times we over complicate things on offense because we have such a studly qb and wr's, but this is not Arena football, and most successful team run the ball well and play good defense, simple but effective.

"We finally gave the OC confidence that we can run the ball; we emphasized it this week," Whitworth said of Bratkowski. "Now we have to keep on doing it."

Right you are Whitworth....

I believe I made the point of the importance of a running game a couple of weeks ago as well. It seems fairly obvious to me the results of its success. I thought the comment about the no-huddle was interesting also, due to the fact that we have so many injuries on the O-line and on defense. It only makes sense not to run it when the defense is gassed and operating with offstreet pick-ups. Why not chew up the game clock, make the game shorter, put less pressure on Carson to win it every week with his arm, give your O-lineman a break from pass blocking, and win the time of possession battle all in one simple task. Anyone notice the dramatic difference in 3rd down conversions from last week to this week?

Before we anoint the Bengals a running team, please take note of what Carson said after the game. I'm paraphrasing, but he said there was running lanes all over the place. The Jets obviously made it a point to take away TJ & Chad, thinking that Watson couldn't beat them. Brat took what they gave him. That's what coordinators are supposed to do. It looked as if Carson checked to the run a number of times as well.

This is good, because it may be harder to game plan against the boys this week. Hopefully Tomlin will outthink himself this week as well.

I'm sure we're all aware of the stats of the correalation between the amount of rushing attempts tied into our record, I believe when we rush the ball 30 times or more our record is 27-8, which would make us one of the elite teams in the NFL. When you see a stat like that it makes you wonder why they don't make sure they run the ball atleast 30 times every game, regardless of the score.

That's not a cause and effect relationship in the way you think. It's not that teams win because they decided to run more than 30 times. It's that they end up running 30 times in an effort to protect a 4th quarter lead and shorten the game, or alternately because if they weren't winning, they'd have to throw to try to score quickly when behind.

If you're getting 2 yards a carry, doing it 30 times will not win the game for you.

What's all this "we" business, do you guys think Brat got some suggestions as to how to call the plays and which ones to call from some higher ups who didn't like to see a pass on 3rd & 2 in the red zone?

Brat may be slow but not stupid...after 1-for-18 even he could probably figure out a change in plans was in order. :lol:

But yeah, I think there were some other considerations, or at least side benefits, to emphasizing the run versus the Jets -- namely the need to sh*t or get off the pot regarding Chris Perry.

From the end of last season right up until Irons blew out his ACL, it was crystal clear that Perry was out of the Bengals' plans. And I think the current foot-dragging in getting him back into practice reflects a reluctance on Mikey and/or Marvin's part to put him back into those plans. From Mike's perspective, reactivating Perry means he has to spend more $$$, in a year in which injuries have already forced him to shell out for numerous replacements in just the first few weeks. And Marvin has never seemed very high on Perry; he never had a good word to say about him until Irons got hurt.

But if Watson and DeDe can get the job done until Rudi is back to 100%, they could stash Perry on IR (or more likely reach an injury settlement and let him go).

That's not a cause and effect relationship in the way you think. It's not that teams win because they decided to run more than 30 times. It's that they end up running 30 times in an effort to protect a 4th quarter lead and shorten the game, or alternately because if they weren't winning, they'd have to throw to try to score quickly when behind.

If you're getting 2 yards a carry, doing it 30 times will not win the game for you.

True but there is something to be said for that stat, last week we were down by 13 pts but didn't force anything and had success. I think the offense has to committ to being balanced, even if we aren't winning. I know conventional wisdom says to start throwing the ball when you get down by 2 scores or more, BUT that isn't always the best plan. Imagine if Carson start forcing passes to TJ and CJ because we were down by 13 pts, we would have lost by more than 13.

My point is we have to be committed to being a balanced offense and not give up on the running game after 15 carries because balance is the key. We have the talent, they just need an opportunity to show what they can do and for the play callers to make a committment.

Us married guys know that committment means sticking with something even when it does seem like it's working because you know it's the best thing in the long run and you want it to work, or atleast that's what the marriage counselor told me. Keeping with the marriage anology, the running game is like having sex with your wife. You have to do it on a consistant basis to keep shalom in the home.

Keeping with the marriage anology, the running game is like having sex with your wife. You have to do it on a consistant basis to keep shalom in the home.

If the running game is like having sex with your wife, does that make the passing game like having sex with someone else's wife? :unsure:

Keeping with the marriage anology, the running game is like having sex with your wife. You have to do it on a consistant basis to keep shalom in the home.

If the running game is like having sex with your wife, does that make the passing game like having sex with someone else's wife? :unsure:

kinda, that's why it so damn exciting, but can really get in you trouble if you do it too much... :lol:

kinda, that's why it so damn exciting, but can really get in you trouble if you do it too much... :lol:

To extend this analogy further, does your wife complain if she's not getting the ball enough? ;)

To extend this analogy further, does your wife complain if she's not getting the ball enough? ;)

Football is a simple game, its all about taking it to the HOLE. I don't care which team we're playing, just show me where the defense is spreading. Some defenses spread quicker and wider than others. The New York Jets became promiscuous after some coaxing by the persistent GuyCheck. Before long she was spreading em for all those big strong Olinemen so Kenny could penetrate at will. Good team work by the Bengals and very unselfish too.