Will Jonathan Joseph be a boom or bust pick?

akiliklingler

What do you guys think of Jonathan Joseph? I wasn't crazy about the Bengals drafting him last year, but I was content with his play as the '06 year rolled on and thought he did very well for a rook (w/ the exception of dropping several easy/game changing picks). Of course he got arrested in the offseason, but out of all the arrests, it was the one that bothered me the least. This year, he had big expectations and started the year hurt - so I don't know how that has affected him thus far. Take yesterday's game - will the real JJoe please stand up? The one who is always five yards away from the receiver and then almost seemingly dives OUT OF THE WAY when the ball carrier comes toward him? Or the one who makes the game-saving pick and takes it back for the score? How good do you guys think JJoe is/will be? Are you happy we drafted him?

I agree JJ seems to be a mixed bag at this point. I do think his foot injury hampered him early on and I'm not convinced he's yet at 100%. I saw too many arm tackles (or attempts at arm tackles( yesterday to suit me but then, you could say that about our whole defense over the last few years.

Bottom line for me regarding JJ, the juries still out. Ask me again in Jan. ;)

Needs to work on his tackling big time, Hall will take his spot if he doesn't - as Leonard is solid in that area. With this soft zone coverage scheme, making the tackle at the POA is critical. And it's hard to judge these guys still due to some of Breshnahan's wackiness. JJ still has the potential to be very, very good.

Needs to work on his tackling big time, Hall will take his spot if he doesn't - as Leonard is solid in that area. With this soft zone coverage scheme, making the tackle at the POA is critical. And it's hard to judge these guys still due to some of Breshnahan's wackiness. JJ still has the potential to be very, very good.

I'm going for the bust route, he looks like another Madieu to me in the making had a good rookie year that showed plenty of potential but never did anything spectacular after that. Every dog has his day with that interception he had, even Artrell Hawkins returned an interception all the way back when we played the Texans. Joseph got lucky that it was basically the only route they continued to run so it was not a hard choice for him to sit on the route, he still has not shown anything to me. Terrible tackling and constantly getting beat. I think Leon Hall will be decent though not a pro-bowler but solid.

I'm going for the bust route, he looks like another Madieu to me in the making had a good rookie year that showed plenty of potential but never did anything spectacular after that. Every dog has his day with that interception he had, even Artrell Hawkins returned an interception all the way back when we played the Texans. Joseph got lucky that it was basically the only route they continued to run so it was not a hard choice for him to sit on the route, he still has not shown anything to me. Terrible tackling and constantly getting beat. I think Leon Hall will be decent though not a pro-bowler but solid.

Its hard to imagine his play getting any worse. His great good fortune is that Deltha also sucks and we only have one Leon Hall.

IMHO, you're wrong. First of all, JJ didn't "sit" on any route, if anything, he "jumped" the route and made one hell of a football play, then took it all the way to the house. The reason he made it look so easy was because he anticipated the out route, a very smart move. He knew they were looking to get out of bounds so he jumped the route... This is his second year, he's still got a lot to learn and a lot to improve upon. Both JJ and Hall have the ability to become elite NFL corners.

Geathers, Peko, Hall, JJ, Madieu, Ndukwe, Odell, Pollack, Brooks all have great skills. Marvin has done a great job bringing in these players and this defense will be REALLY good in the next couple seasons.

look this is the way i see it . when a player is missing tackles or out of position that is poor fundamentals. so before passing judgement on these players lets get some competent coaches on this defensive staff to teach these guys what fundamentals are before labeling them as a bust. because lets face this staff other than marvin is plum full of coaches that really should not be coaching at this level.

IMHO, you're wrong. First of all, JJ didn't "sit" on any route, if anything, he "jumped" the route and made one hell of a football play, then took it all the way to the house. The reason he made it look so easy was because he anticipated the out route, a very smart move. He knew they were looking to get out of bounds so he jumped the route... This is his second year, he's still got a lot to learn and a lot to improve upon. Both JJ and Hall have the ability to become elite NFL corners.

Geathers, Peko, Hall, JJ, Madieu, Ndukwe, Odell, Pollack, Brooks all have great skills. Marvin has done a great job bringing in these players and this defense will be REALLY good in the next couple seasons.

It was a good play by JJ but I want to see him do that in the middle of the game when the whole field is available. Interceptions in the last minute of a game happen frequently. I want to see more consistency and I think that will materialize as the season goes on and his foot gets back to normal. JJ will be fine, not great but a good cb. Hall also will only get better and has shown flashes that tell me he can be a real good, solid cb.

Joseph and Hall are two of the better tackling CB's in the league. You can't judge somebody by one game. He usually squares up and makes a good tackle. Judge him by what he did last year towards the end of the year. He has been injured for most of this year and he missed a game last week. Now Deltha has always been a horrible tackler. CB's go through stretches where they give up big plays but if you can limit it to 1 or 2 game, your doing alright. Champ Bailey is the best CB to play in the last ten years and Chad made hime look horrible w/out making the spectacular catch, he was wide open every time. Hall has been burnt just as many times as Joseph and he has only played in half of the games. Neither of these guys have more than 12 starts in there career. You can tell by now that neither one would qualify as a bust because they are already tens times better than Ratliff ever was or Artrell.

It was a good play by JJ but I want to see him do that in the middle of the game when the whole field is available. Interceptions in the last minute of a game happen frequently. I want to see more consistency and I think that will materialize as the season goes on and his foot gets back to normal. JJ will be fine, not great but a good cb. Hall also will only get better and has shown flashes that tell me he can be a real good, solid cb.

I don't care when it came but fact eh actually caught it with the 5 or 6 he dropped last year :P, that alone is a improvement lol.

PS,Aye ken Jjoe did look like a very solid tackler he's had alot more good plays then bad.

I think all these corners on this team right now our playing horrible they dont get up to the line and put any pressure on the opposing wide receivers they give them a cushin on almost every play. I dont know if its just the plays being called in but i bet every qb in this league wishes they were playin the bengals conerbacks. Not to metion the lack of a pass rush kills these poor coners, there is like a play or two in a game where they look decent other then that how can anyone tell me these coners look good from week to week. I would love to know what the passer rating of each qb they faced this year have been.

Joseph had a chance to make a tackle yesterday that resulted in a touch down by the jets. He was actually waiting on someone else to make the tackle. Certainly negates the pick he made late in the game. If he's playing hurt thats another matter. He is not playing as well as last year!

Joseph had a chance to make a tackle yesterday that resulted in a touch down by the jets. He was actually waiting on someone else to make the tackle. Certainly negates the pick he made late in the game. If he's playing hurt thats another matter. He is not playing as well as last year!

Ok you nagate his int so which play stood out that was just so horrible?

Ok you nagate his int so which play stood out that was just so horrible?

I think he's talking about Coles 2nd TD. Deltha and JJ both had a chance to wrap him up, but Coles made their tackling look pathetic.

That attempt to tackle by both players was pathetic but if you look at the play again you'll realize that Joseph was coming from the side and Deltha was in prime position right in front. Joseph dove from the back side and Deltha tried to tackle him from the side instead of squaring him up and ended up clipping Joseph off of Coles. Joseph did have his head down which could have hurt but our secondary does look a lot better w/ Joseph starting. I personally think Joseph and Hall starting and Deltha in the nickle would be the best line-up but the Bengals think it is too early to throw him in. I do admit that our scheme is screwed up. Joseph and Hall are good size corners and should jam at the line a lot more frequent but I think the coaches have no faith in our safeties backing them up. Our pass rush was the problem during the first half, give any QB that much time and he'll make any CB look pathetic. Our pass rush showed up in the second half and amazingly our secondary looked great. You cannot take Joseph's INT away from him because it was the end of the game. They were down by 8 and a TD could have tied it up. They were running out of time but as everybody has seen before, 1 play can put up a quick six expecially against our defensive scheme. Hall and Joseph are our best two up and coming defensive players that have shown that they have what it takes to succeed, a little more seasoning and they will be a deadly combo for years to come. You can dog on the safeties and LB's all day but I think it is pretty clear that the CB's are one of strong areas on our pathetic D.

P.S. Where the hell was the safeties on that 3 yard pass to Coles. The CB's missed the tackle and there was nobody to be found. They are called safeties for a reason.