Lewis Confirms Pollack Out for 2007

HoosierCat

That is good to hear for him. Now he can fully recover and be sure to be as close to 100% as he can be. I would have been afraid that he would have been placed on the PUP list then tried to make a comeback too soon and do more damage. Glad to see they are being extra precautious. Sucks that they won't have him in there to contribute.

Man, what a freaking bust. I can't say that I didn't see this coming, I said he'd never play again, if he does he's crazy! Sucks for Pollack, sucks even more for a wasted 1st rounder. Only in Cincinnati.

I wouldn't call him a bust, it's not he sucked..he broke his damn neck on a freak accident, he can't control that. Akili Smith was a bust, David Klingler was a bust, Ryan Leaf was a bust.

A bust is someone gets picked high but their production doesn't equate to their draft selection. Pollack was showing signs of being a very good NFL player, he's not a bust by any stretch.

Man, what a freaking bust. I can't say that I didn't see this coming, I said he'd never play again, if he does he's crazy! Sucks for Pollack, sucks even more for a wasted 1st rounder. Only in Cincinnati.

I wouldn't call him a bust, it's not he sucked..he broke his damn neck on a freak accident, he can't control that. Akili Smith was a bust, David Klingler was a bust, Ryan Leaf was a bust.

A bust is someone gets picked high but their production doesn't equate to their draft selection. Pollack was showing signs of being a very good NFL player, he's not a bust by any stretch.

While it does not reflect poorly on his talent or the Bengals' decision to draft him, the fact that Pollack may never play again whilst not contributing much up to the point of his injury(-ies) makes him (quite possibly) a bust. Same with Chris Perry if he can't find his way back onto the field -- though maybe to a lesser degree due to the impact that he was able to make while healthy. It sucks, but the bottom line is wins, which are hard to get with your players on the sideline.

While it does not reflect poorly on his talent or the Bengals' decision to draft him, the fact that Pollack may never play again whilst not contributing much up to the point of his injury(-ies) makes him (quite possibly) a bust. Same with Chris Perry if he can't find his way back onto the field -- though maybe to a lesser degree due to the impact that he was able to make while healthy. It sucks, but the bottom line is wins, which are hard to get with your players on the sideline.

I have to disagree, I thought Pollack played well his rookie year considering he was a rookie & changing positions. He made some big plays, that sack against Big Ben in the playoffs stands out as one of them. I think Pollack was just starting to scratch the surface of his potential and the freak injury comes in.

I would call a guy like Justin Smith a bust before Pollack just because Smith has yet produce a double digit sack season and when your drafted #4 overall to be a sack artist that is disappointing, but I don't consider Smith a bust at all. I think Smith is one of the best players on the team regardless of what side of the ball he plays on. Injuries are out of our control so I don't beleive that guys should be given a negative label when they suffer unfortunate freak injuries.

I've maintained for a long time that there are two classes of busts: performance busts and injury busts. Klingler and Akili are example of the former; Pollack, Chris Perry and Ki-Jana of the latter. But from a practical standpoint, the results are the same: a first-round pick spent on a guy who turns out to be a non-contributor.

As for Pollack's future, who knows? But by September of 2008, he will have been the next best thing to out of football for nearly three years. He will have played a total of 16 games over three years (and 0 since September of '06). If he participates in the 2008 offseason program, it will be his first; he missed this year's with the neck injury and last year's with the busted foot. He's never had a complete camp, missing most of his first with a contract holdout, sitting on the sidelines for most of his second with a hammy injury and, of course, this year is out due to the neck. That's a hell of a long way behind to fall.

On top of that, the Bengals have their own needs to consider. They can't hold spots open hope that Pollack can come back someday. Let's say Jeanty or Henderson come on at SLB and Rucker pans out at DE. Wither David in 2008? Even if he's both physically and mentally ready to come back, there's no guarantee there will be a place for him.

And even if there is, and even if he comes back at 100% -- Pollack's still largely an unknown. He has loads of potential and he flashed a few times his rookie year, but had yet to put it all together.

I'd love to see him come back and turn into a pro bowler. But I think the odds are way against it.

I've maintained for a long time that there are two classes of busts: performance busts and injury busts. Klingler and Akili are example of the former; Pollack, Chris Perry and Ki-Jana of the latter. But from a practical standpoint, the results are the same: a first-round pick spent on a guy who turns out to be a non-contributor.

As for Pollack's future, who knows? But by September of 2008, he will have been the next best thing to out of football for nearly three years. He will have played a total of 16 games over three years (and 0 since September of '06). If he participates in the 2008 offseason program, it will be his first; he missed this year's with the neck injury and last year's with the busted foot. He's never had a complete camp, missing most of his first with a contract holdout, sitting on the sidelines for most of his second with a hammy injury and, of course, this year is out due to the neck. That's a hell of a long way behind to fall.

On top of that, the Bengals have their own needs to consider. They can't hold spots open hope that Pollack can come back someday. Let's say Jeanty or Henderson come on at SLB and Rucker pans out at DE. Wither David in 2008? Even if he's both physically and mentally ready to come back, there's no guarantee there will be a place for him.

And even if there is, and even if he comes back at 100% -- Pollack's still largely an unknown. He has loads of potential and he flashed a few times his rookie year, but had yet to put it all together.

I'd love to see him come back and turn into a pro bowler. But I think the odds are way against it.

There's no doubt the odds are not in his favor, but I think if any has the determination and desire to beat these odds it's Pollack. His character is someone that never quits and works extremely hard at accomplishing his goals, plus being a football player is who he is.

He's not in his 30's, he's still a very young man with alot of life ahead of him. Maybe his family will encourage him to hang it up so not to risk another injury but Pollack has to do what is going to make him happy, I'm sure he doesn't want to live the rest of his thinking what could have been.

Disappointing for sure, though predictable. He might be back in '08, but I doubt he'll ever play like a first round pick again.

you are impying that he played like a 1st rd pick at one time....when was that?

I feel bad for ol'waterboy. He got the "sit out" blues and only flashed for a few games...the injury really sucks but I am glad to hear he has been recovering well and can have a normal life, football or not.

Disappointing for sure, though predictable. He might be back in '08, but I doubt he'll ever play like a first round pick again.

Playoff game.

One game? Point blank, Pollack has been a bust thus far and it's sad to say. Not on the field = NO production. I really don't think he'll make a comeback, EVER. He BROKE his NECK.

Pattern this is your definition of a Bust: A bust is someone gets picked high but their production doesn't equate to their draft selection. Pollack was showing signs of being a very good NFL player, he's not a bust by any stretch.

According to that definition, I think we're on the same page. I know you want to sympathize for the guy and I do too, but a bust is a bust and this is another 1st round pick down the drain no matter which way you look at it! :(

Playoff game.

One game? Point blank, Pollack has been a bust thus far and it's sad to say. Not on the field = NO production. I really don't think he'll make a comeback, EVER. He BROKE his NECK.

Steve Smith of the Panthers, Kelley Washington and Travis Henry all suffered similiar injuries.

Pollack`s only played in 17 games, counting the Playoff Game.

This is a guy that missed all of his rookie training camp, and was switching positions.

So yeah, he did show promise at the end of his rookie year. Matter of a fact, he seemed

to be the only Defensive player that gave a crap in the Playoff game.

Pollack was a 3 time All-American in College (only the 2nd player in Georgia`s history to do so)

and he won the 2002 Southeastern Conference Player of the Year Award, the 2004 Southeastern Conference Defensive Player of the Year Award, the 2004 Chuck Bednarik Award: given annually to the top collegiate defensive player, 2003 and 2004 Ted Hendricks Award: given annually to the top collegiate defensive end,

2004 Lombardi Award: given annually to the top defensive or offensive collegiate lineman who, in addition to outstanding performance and ability, best exemplifies the discipline of Vince Lombardi, and

2004 Lott Trophy: given annually to a defensive player exemplifying integrity, maturity, performance,

academics, community, and tenacity.

The the Bengals should quit wasting their time on such a player.

Do I really need to post a roling eyes smiley to show my sarcasm ?

Pollack is the kind of player this team, let alone this Defense, lacks.

He is a leader, he has great character, maturity, integrity, tenacity, work ethic and heart.

Hell, he was hurt making a tackle for the Bengals !

You`d think Bengals fans would be cheering for and supporting this guy with every striped

cell in their body. Not dogging on him and/or wishing he would retire. It costs us nothing

to root for Pollack. His success equals Bengals success. Anyone that wishes for anything

other than Pollack`s return, and to be the player the Bengals hoped he would be when they

drafted him, is just putting their petty personal preferences ahead of their desire for the

Bengals to be a great team. Period.

You`d think Bengals fans would be cheering for and supporting this guy with every striped

cell in their body. Not dogging on him and/or wishing he would retire. It costs us nothing

to root for Pollack. His success equals Bengals success. Anyone that wishes for anything

other than Pollack`s return, and to be the player the Bengals hoped he would be when they

drafted him, is just putting their petty personal preferences ahead of their desire for the

You're right that the fat lady hasn't quite sung Pollack's song yet -- and certainly he's a very nice, good guy who has acheived a lot in the past. But the fact remains that as long as he's on the bench, he isn't helping the team.

Frankly, the frustration you read now is a culmination of the litany of things that have gone wrong over the past year (which came on the heels of 15 years of futility), of which Pollack's injury is relatively minor. Patience is simply in short supply now that we've finally got a team that is built to win NOW -- a team that should be at full strength. I'd rather move on and root for the guys we have playing NOW than cheer for Pollack and pinning hopes on next season (again). I wish David the best in his continued rehab this year, but there will be time to root for him next offseason. For now, he's a bust and it's not worth spending the energy to worry about him.

Sorry -- I'm also just cranky this morning.

So a guy breaks his neck making a tackle and all of sudden he's a bust...

So I guess Shane Curry was huge bust for the Colts and that Darrent Williams sure did disappoint Broncos fans getting shot and killed in the offseason, wtf was he thinking ?

How many guys break their neck making tackles in the NFL, last year Pollack was the only player I heard of that had something like that happen to him.

You're right that the fat lady hasn't quite sung Pollack's song yet -- and certainly he's a very nice, good guy who has acheived a lot in the past. But the fact remains that as long as he's on the bench, he isn't helping the team.

Frankly, the frustration you read now is a culmination of the litany of things that have gone wrong over the past year (which came on the heels of 15 years of futility), of which Pollack's injury is relatively minor. Patience is simply in short supply now that we've finally got a team that is built to win NOW -- a team that should be at full strength. I'd rather move on and root for the guys we have playing NOW than cheer for Pollack and pinning hopes on next season (again). I wish David the best in his continued rehab this year, but there will be time to root for him next offseason. For now, he's a bust and it's not worth spending the energy to worry about him.

Sorry -- I'm also just cranky this morning.

That`s not true, just because a player isn`t playing doesn`t mean they aren`t helping the team.

Pollack could be helping the team in other ways. Like with the playbook, or whatever wisdom

he might have on things that happen on and off the field, or just by his presence in the locker room.

Also, just because he CAN`T help the team on the field RIGHT NOW, that`s no excuse to turn our backs on him.

I`d also argue that this team is built to win now AND in the future . . .

So a guy breaks his neck making a tackle and all of sudden he's a bust...

No one said the NFl was fair.

Meanwhile, speaking of busts, a blinding glimpse of the obvious from today's PFT rumormill...

AKILI SMITH STILL SUCKS

When quarterback Akili Smith, the third overall pick in the 1999 draft, ended up being a dud for the Cincinnati Bengals, some league observers speculated that Smith's struggles were not the result of his capabilities (or lack thereof) but of the overall ineptitude of the team that drafted him. Indeed, it was suggested at one point that, if the Eagles had select Smith at No. 2 and the Bengals had picked Donovan McNabb at No. 3, Smith would have become a star and McNabb would have been a bust.

Well, if the Bengals are to blame for Smith's performance, then they gave him a full-body suck tattoo. Eight years after he was drafted, Smith still is playing poorly. And now he's doing it in Canada.

On Thursday night, Smith entered the game between his Calgary Stampeders and the Toronto Argonauts in relief of another one-time NFL prospect, Henry Burris. Smith threw 10 passes, completed six, . . . and was intercepted three times.

Smith was yanked at halftime, and Burris was re-inserted. The Stampeders got stampeded, 48-15.

Smith threw 10 passes, completed six, . . . and was intercepted three times. Yup, that's our boy all right! :lmao: