Ricky Williams tests positive for marijuana...again

I guess nobody saw this one coming! :lol:

From Yahoo Sports:

Ricky Williams tests positive for marijuana

By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer

May 11, 2007

MIAMI (AP) -- Former NFL rushing champion Ricky Williams tested positive again for marijuana last month, delaying his return to the league until at least September, a person familiar with the case said Friday.

Williams sought to end a one-year drug suspension last month when he asked to rejoin the Miami Dolphins. But following the positive drug test, clinicians in the program advised NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to delay reinstatement, the person close to the case said.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because of the confidential nature of the testing program.

The Dolphins and the NFL declined comment. Before Williams' latest setback, new Miami coach Cam Cameron repeatedly declined to say whether he would welcome Williams back.

Leigh Steinberg, Williams' agent, did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment.

Williams' latest positive test first was reported by ESPN.com.

Williams, who turns 30 on May 21, was suspended in April 2006 by the NFL after violating the league's drug policy for the fourth time. He played last year in the Canadian Football League, then taught yoga in California.

Last month, Steinberg quoted Williams as saying his interest in eastern philosophy had overcome his desire for mind-altering substances.

Williams won the 1998 Heisman Trophy at Texas and the 2002 NFL rushing championship with the Dolphins, but he has played only 12 games since 2003. Last season with the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL, he rushed for 526 yards in 109 carries but missed two months with a broken arm.

For everybody that says pot is not addictive, BS. Why would he piss away money like Daniel Snyder signing a 45 year old linebacker if he isn't addicted to it. Not really a big suprise to me.

I don't think anybody said that it's not addictive, it's just not addictive as cocaine or other drugs including nicotine. You will not find a weed head doing the same thing people on cocaine or heroin do to get weed. Woman are not selling there bodies to get weed and people are not robbing people to get money to buy weed. I don't defend people that do drugs, but everybody knows that Ricky has more then a drug problem he has a mental problem too (good case for a labotomy). When Ricky would not do interviews without his helmet on at first you knew that he had mental problems. Ricky is a case of a person that's talented at something but really does not enjoy doing it and fans like us can't understand why he would throw all that away.

What the h*ll was he thinking??? I mean how could a guy want to be reinstated in the NFL continue to do this to 1. jeopardize his career/comeback (again) and 2. make yourself look like a complete idiot (again)! :wacko:

It's too bad....because marijuana is the only drug that makes him stable. To me, that's no different than someone who takes medication for depression, seizures, anxiety, bipolar, schizophrenia, etc. not to mention cigarette smoking. They all have harmful side effects. But at the same time, if an individual is able to function in society while on the drug and perform at a level that makes him an employable commodity, then one should have the right to make a living.

Making marijuana illegal is a complete contradiction when you compare it to cigarrete smoking and liquor. So if he's addicted, who gives a s**t? Rickey Williams is not beating on his wife, toting pistols, chillin in strip clubs, drinking and driving turning, etc. The only thing I heard about Rickey is a dude that's into natural medicines, yoga, traveling to India. What's wrong with that? I doubt marijuana effects his play on the field. And if it did, he's still good enough to play in the NFL.

From a football standpoint, it's not like marijuana is steroids. It doesn't make you a better athlete or enhance your performance. In fact, I would think marijuana would decrease your performance on the feild. Yet there are alot of weed heads in all sports. The fact remains........ Ricky Williams jeopordizes his NFL career because he is addicted to an illegal drug.

It's too bad....because marijuana is the only drug that makes him stable. To me, that's no different than someone who takes medication for depression, seizures, anxiety, bipolar, schizophrenia, etc. not to mention cigarette smoking. They all have harmful side effects. But at the same time, if an individual is able to function in society while on the drug and perform at a level that makes him an employable commodity, then one should have the right to make a living.

Making marijuana illegal is a complete contradiction when you compare it to cigarrete smoking and liquor. So if he's addicted, who gives a s**t? Rickey Williams is not beating on his wife, toting pistols, chillin in strip clubs, drinking and driving turning, etc. The only thing I heard about Rickey is a dude that's into natural medicines, yoga, traveling to India. What's wrong with that? I doubt marijuana effects his play on the field. And if it did, he's still good enough to play in the NFL.

From a football standpoint, it's not like marijuana is steroids. It doesn't make you a better athlete or enhance your performance. In fact, I would think marijuana would decrease your performance on the feild. Yet there are alot of weed heads in all sports. The fact remains........ Ricky Williams jeopordizes his NFL career because he is addicted to an illegal drug.

Fantastic breakdown. The problem with marijuana smoking is that you are a criminal when you do it. Being a criminal is dangerous but smoking marijuana is not. I say is not because it is easily compared to alcohol and any nonbiased person will attest that alcohol`s side effects are far greater than marijuana. Ricky is a criminal and therefore cannot play in the NFL. So, how many NFL players and coaches or even owners would we have if alcohol was a banned substance?