Players Who Need to Step Up in 2007

Everyone with a pulse knows the production we can expect from Palmer, Rudi, Chad, and the rest of the starters, but what about the second tier group of players? Who needs to have a breakout season to allow us to get over the 8-8 or 9-7 hump?

My key players would be as follows:

3rd WR- If Tab Perry is healthy, this is his opportunity to shine. He could grab the bull by the horns like Housmanzadeh and become a legitimate NFL receiver. If he's not healthy then Brazell or Chatman have a shot.

D Line- Fanene was hurt last season, but looks like he could be a force. How nice would it be to have another young DE/DT that can be added to the rotation? Frostee also has the opportunity to step up and take someone's job. He was a 3rd round pick and has something to prove.

LB- Rashad Jeanty needs to show last year was not a fluke. Caleb Miller...does he grow as a player or was he a wasted pick? AJ Nicholson...he was a tackling machine at FSU...can he step in and do it at this level?

Opportunity abounds for these players. Imagine the look of the defense if Rucker, Fanene and Nicholson can all manage to become solid players. Imagine the offense if Tab is healthy and the regular third receiver...he could be special.

Only 4 months until kick-off.

Madieu - He needs to be the playmaker on this defense. He has shown flashes but last year he wasn't there. He can be the spark that takes us to another level.

Ahmad - Has all the playmaking ability in the world, needs to stay dedicated and perform on the field.

Jeanty - As mentioned above.

Frostee - He doesn't necessarily need to produce big this year, just needs to show that he can take Justin's spot next year when IMO Smith will be allowed to sign elsewhere.

Regardless, someone needs to step up and be 'the man' on defense. We haven't had that without Odell. If one guy can step up the confidence will spill over to everyone else.

I forgot about Adams, he does need to step it up as well. Health is his big issue.

Whitworth and JJ have already stepped it up in my eyes. Granted they need to progress but if they don't it won't hinder our ability to win games too badly, they were solid contributers last year.

I think Ahmad is the real key to next years defense.

I think all of them have to step up but if I could choose just one or two guys, it would have to be Carson and Chad. Even as bad as that D was last year, if Chad hadn't disappeared for the final three games, we would have won at least one and made the playoffs.

Carson is a still young talent, he needs to keep improving.

Eric Ghiaciuc -- I'm not as down on him as a lot of fans seem to be, but there's no doubt he still has plenty of room for improvement. He seemed to progress well last year, as his [negative] impact was far less noticeable late in the season. He'll need to continue progressing to help the offense avoid stalling when Palmer is feeling too much pass rush pressure.

Sam Adams -- We've all heard about how he is coming into this season "healthy." We'll see if that makes any noteable difference on the field. Like Ghiaciuc, I thought he played well enough last season to justify having a spot in the starting lineup, but he'll need to be more consistent this year. I really think Sam is the one with Domata Peko breathing down his neck, not John Thornton.

Tab Perry/Antonio Chatman/Bennie Brazell -- All three of these guys are likely to take on bigger roles with Henry's suspension. Tab especially will have to prove that he can handle the role he'll be given, as an all purpose offensive player.

Brad St. Louis -- Unless he is supplanted in training camp, which I don't expect, he'll have to return to his usual form. He has been a solid long snapper throughout his career prior to 2006, when he struggled repeatedly.

Ethan Kilmer -- He'll be looked upon to replace two players lost to free agency -- Marcus Wilkins and Kevin Kaesviharn. Both were valuable on special teams, and KK's contributions on defense were all well documented. The addition of Marvin White should help him to shoulder that load.

Levi Jones -- Stay healthy, and play like you did in 2005. He may well be the second or third best player on this roster, and as a blindside tackle, his importance to the offense cannot be underestimated.

Robert Geathers -- He'll more than likely start over Bryan Robinson, playing a role in which he struggled in 2005. While playing at a more preferable weight, hopefully he'll be able to have a big year and bolster our otherwise poor pass rush.

Ahmad Brooks -- Wherever he ends up playing, his contributions or the lack there-of will have a huge impact on the defense overall. We need him to be big for obvious reasons.

Madieu Williams - If he returns to the form he flashed as a rookie then he's a player the defense can be built around. If he repeats his performance of last season then he's just another young disappointment that the team should have second thoughts about when free agency rolls around.

Ahmad Brooks - He wasn't expected to be much of a factor last season and to the surprise of nobody he wasn't. But the way has been cleared for him to step into a starting role that demands constant playmaking and true impact. It's a tall order, but he did flash impressively at times.

Chad Johnson - Stop the roller coaster ride between endless clowning and constant whining. Be consistent off the field and just maybe you'll be consistent on it. And for petes sake learn what it means to become a team leader before you retire. You can start by blocking somebody.

Sam Adams - I expected almost nothing from Fat Sam last season yet somehow he managed to be a total disappointment. How is that even possible? It's time to step up or step away.

Antonio "Loose Slots" Chatman - Nobody can replace Henry and it doesn't help matters when all of the candidates to do so are recovering from serious injuries. But Chatman is the only one of the bunch that has the experience needed to carve out a real role for himself that he should be able to keep if and when Henry returns.

The O-Line - The value of the Bengals offensive lineman was demonstated twice last year. First, with the rich contracts that three of the starters pocketed. Second, by the missed games piled up by of each of those players. The passing game suffered, the running game struggled, and the entire team seemed to lose it's identity. All things considered a return to previous form should result to a playoff berth, but a real step up from this group could result in something special.

I'll just paint with broad strokes.

Veterans need to improve, not decline (i.e. Deltha, Madieu, J. Smith, Fat Sam).

2nd year players need to continue to improve (i.e. Brooks, Jeanty, Peko, JJ, Whitworth).

Players coming off injuries need to show something (Tab, Frostee, A.J. Nicholson).

Rookies and FA's need to contribute (i.e. Hall, Irons, White, Myers, Hartwell).

I think pretty much covers everyone, no?

Eric Ghiaciuc -- I'm not as down on him as a lot of fans seem to be, but there's no doubt he still has plenty of room for improvement. He seemed to progress well last year, as his [negative] impact was far less noticeable late in the season. He'll need to continue progressing to help the offense avoid stalling when Palmer is feeling too much pass rush pressure.

Sam Adams -- We've all heard about how he is coming into this season "healthy." We'll see if that makes any noteable difference on the field. Like Ghiaciuc, I thought he played well enough last season to justify having a spot in the starting lineup, but he'll need to be more consistent this year. I really think Sam is the one with Domata Peko breathing down his neck, not John Thornton.

Tab Perry/Antonio Chatman/Bennie Brazell -- All three of these guys are likely to take on bigger roles with Henry's suspension. Tab especially will have to prove that he can handle the role he'll be given, as an all purpose offensive player.

Brad St. Louis -- Unless he is supplanted in training camp, which I don't expect, he'll have to return to his usual form. He has been a solid long snapper throughout his career prior to 2006, when he struggled repeatedly.

Ethan Kilmer -- He'll be looked upon to replace two players lost to free agency -- Marcus Wilkins and Kevin Kaesviharn. Both were valuable on special teams, and KK's contributions on defense were all well documented. The addition of Marvin White should help him to shoulder that load.

Levi Jones -- Stay healthy, and play like you did in 2005. He may well be the second or third best player on this roster, and as a blindside tackle, his importance to the offense cannot be underestimated.

Robert Geathers -- He'll more than likely start over Bryan Robinson, playing a role in which he struggled in 2005. While playing at a more preferable weight, hopefully he'll be able to have a big year and bolster our otherwise poor pass rush.

Ahmad Brooks -- Wherever he ends up playing, his contributions or the lack there-of will have a huge impact on the defense overall. We need him to be big for obvious reasons.

Ditto I highlight Sam Adams. He has to keep the LBs free to make plays. Having him healthy can make the whole D 100% better.

I think all the players have a little room to step up, Carson included.

I agree, we went 8-8 last season and everybody from Marvin on down could improve in what they do.

The coaches need to step up in scheming and adjusting their schemes, the big money players need to produce when the game is on the line, the vets need to show the young guys the right way to go about their jobs and how to respond when adversity hits, and the young guys need to prove that they belong and that they can consistantly make plays in this league.

When you go 8-8, especially when your 8-5 going into the last month of the season, there is plenty of room for improvement for everyone on the roster.

Why is every one attacking Madieu he had a good year last season maybe not a superstar like season but he was far from a scrub like everyone seems to be implying.

Madieu was pretty damn weak in run support, how many times did he bucked, trucked, or just ran the f**k over?? Atleast he's willing to stick his hat in there though which is more than I say for some people who are no longer here.

Maybe he was rusty after missing alot of time in 2005, but 2006 wasn't his best year. He needs to find his 2004 form this offseason so can be ready to go come Sept.

how about every1 that plays defense.

All the keys to the season begin and end with the Defense. Plain and simple.

I don't care who it is, it can be any of a number of guys, DL, LBs and Secondary, but if the defense plays even average we will win. Now, the offense cannot have an injury riddled year like last year and be inconsistent week to week, but they are going to score points.

The key to us having a record better than .500 and going deep into the playoffs is our defense. Period.

Why is every one attacking Madieu he had a good year last season maybe not a superstar like season but he was far from a scrub like everyone seems to be implying.

Madieu was pretty damn weak in run support, how many times did he bucked, trucked, or just ran the f**k over?? Atleast he's willing to stick his hat in there though which is more than I say for some people who are no longer here.

Maybe he was rusty after missing alot of time in 2005, but 2006 wasn't his best year. He needs to find his 2004 form this offseason so can be ready to go come Sept.

Twice Maroney and L.T and those guys arent scrubs