6th Round: Matt Toeaina

ArmyBengal

DE or DT?

He is listed at 307lbs

from nfldraftcountdown.com...

Strengths:

Very strong...Intense and competitive...Tough and physical...Good tackler...Gets a great push...Versatile with experience at multiple positions...Pretty quick...Stout at the point and plays the run well...Very hard worker...Team leader and captain.

Weaknesses:

Is not overly athletic...Doesn't always play with good leverage...Has some trouble shedding blocks...Instincts and awareness are sub par...Not real mobile...Limited pass rusher...Was not very productive...A questionable motor...Not much upside.

Notes:

Native of American Samoa...Also played defensive end for the Ducks...Might be a nice fit outside in a 3-4 scheme...The type who doesn't have all the physical tools you look for but gets by on his top-notch intangibles...Backup who can contribute.

from nfldraftcountdown

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt Toeaina

Height: 6-2 | Weight: 307 | 40-Time: 5.14

Strengths:

Very strong...Intense and competitive...Tough and physical...Good tackler...Gets a great push...Versatile with experience at multiple positions...Pretty quick...Stout at the point and plays the run well...Very hard worker...Team leader and captain.

Weaknesses:

Is not overly athletic...Doesn't always play with good leverage...Has some trouble shedding blocks...Instincts and awareness are sub par...Not real mobile...Limited pass rusher...Was not very productive...A questionable motor...Not much upside.

Notes:

Native of American Samoa...Also played defensive end for the Ducks...Might be a nice fit outside in a 3-4 scheme...The type who doesn't have all the physical tools you look for but gets by on his top-notch intangibles...Backup who can contribute

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't understand how a team captain/leader and also a "hard worker" can also be a guy with a questionable motor. Why would anyone name a guy who takes plays off as a captain? I don't understand how a profile for a guy can contain that plus and also that minus ....seems to be at odds

Another Samoan, eh?

Another prfile, this from Scout.com:

A two-gap stuffer who controls the point, Toeaina could flourish as a defensive end in a 34 system if he turns up the intensity and improves the details of his game.

Biography:

Full-time starter the past two seasons and an All-Conference selection as a senior after 36 tackles and three tackles for loss. Junior numbers were 36/3/6.

Pos:

Versatile lineman who has been used at both tackle and end. Very quick off the snap, plays with good pad level and anchors at the point. Redirects to the action and works to get involved in the play.

Neg:

Must do a better job using his hands to protect himself. Slow shedding blocks and gets wired at the point.

He sounds serviceable at DT, and I am not sure there is a better one available at this point in the draft. It also looks like most of his weaknesses are of the type that can be coached to improve.

I love the fact that he is a team captain with a good work ethic. There is a definite thread of high character traits in the picks this year.

Man, this guy is a hand full at DE.

He stays low and gets good push on the OL.

I like what I see.

He is a BIG man -- looks like he has more than one move. His low, bull rush moved the OT deep into the backfield. Seemed to use his hands well enough on the one game I watched.