Is Marvin forcing Tennessee's hand?

mjm47

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the Bengals are really interested in Ginn -- why wouldn't Marvin have his receiver coach with him?

IMHO Marvin is just covering possibilities -- what if Ginn is the Best defensive player available. :lmao:

I heard (and can't remember where) that one (1) scout thought Ginn was a good enough CB that he could start for some NFL teams. :P

Just think, Ginn could fill in for Henry for the first 8 games then slide over and take Deltha spot for the last 8, while being a Devin Hester type kick returner all year. :lol:

Somebody is sending their DB coach to put Ginn through his paces. I wonder if he still has the chops to play defense. A few of the scouting reports that I've read hint that Ginn is, at times, tentative and unwilling to go over the middle. Not sure how that would translate to a zone corner who needs to step up in run coverage.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/footba...leveland_browns

I think the most likely reasons Marvin was there were, first, it isn't like it's a long trip, so why not; and two, the way things are shaping up Ginn is iffy as a first-round prospect. I seriously doubt that he would last to us in the 2nd, but if he ended up as an early round 2 pick I would not be surprised. Which also means that if the Bengals were to work out some trade in which they moved down late in the first, Ginn could become a possibility.

I wonder if the Bengals are really interested in Ginn -- why wouldn't Marvin have his receiver coach with him?

IMHO Marvin is just covering possibilities -- what if Ginn is the Best defensive player available. :lmao:

I heard (and can't remember where) that one (1) scout thought Ginn was a good enough CB that he could start for some NFL teams. :P

Just think, Ginn could fill in for Henry for the first 8 games then slide over and take Deltha spot for the last 8, while being a Devin Hester type kick returner all year. :lol:

DING DING DING

According to Bengals.com, Marvin did take his WR coach and the special teams coach with him to watch Ginn.

Bengals.com also said that Teddy Ginn has said he would prefer to play CB. If he does play CB -- I'd like to see him tackle.

It is an interesting possiblity but I don't see the Bengals taking him at their current spot. Maybe if they moved down, but at 18 they will be paying quite a bit. It is also a bit risky to take Ginn if you are in need of immediate help on defense.

On the flipside, wasn't he the USA Today high school player of the year back in 2001(?) when he played at Cleveland Glenville? I think he was a two-way player and played DB so it's not like he is starting from scratch.

Ginn would be an interesting pick. He definitely has the speed and was the #1 High School Cb prospect 3 years ago. However, I believe that the Bengals would be better off now taking Aaron Ross, Leon Hall (as long as he has gotten the Ginn's torch marks off his back), Revis, prior to taking Ginn.

If somehow Ginn did drop to the 18 pick, and the Bengals decided to draft him... it better be Ginn the CB, not the WR. I don't think he's ever going to amount as the quality WR you expect from a 1st round pick... but I suppose it is possible that he could be a very good 1st round CB.

And hey... it's not a bad thing to have a guy who is so dangerous in kick and punt returns, who can also be used in trick plays on offense when the mood strikes.

I say no to the Ginn pick in general... but if the Bengals coaching staff felt confident with his ability as a CB, I'd be okay with the pick. But Ginn as a WR coming to the Bengals? I just threw up a little in my mouth.

It is an interesting possiblity but I don't see the Bengals taking him at their current spot. Maybe if they moved down, but at 18 they will be paying quite a bit. It is also a bit risky to take Ginn if you are in need of immediate help on defense.

On the flipside, wasn't he the USA Today high school player of the year back in 2001(?) when he played at Cleveland Glenville? I think he was a two-way player and played DB so it's not like he is starting from scratch.

I'm not saying that we don't need help immediately on defense, but check out what Marvin said in a Hobson article on the site:

“I don’t see where we draft a guy and he comes in and starts. I don’t see that,” Lewis says. “I would hope you wouldn’t want it that way. Otherwise you’d be picking a lesser player.”

Lewis refutes observations that the Bengals are thin at cornerback . . .

Hobson Article

Is he opening the door to a Ted Ginn type move? Develop him as a CB and use him immediately as a returner? For me upgrading the return game the way Ginn would upgrade it is worth a 1st rounder. Do we need D help? Of course we do. We we need a big return upgrade? Most definitely!!!

Take away Devin Hester's kick returns and were the Bears really all that great last year? Didn't they have a game where they didn't score an offensive TD but won anyway.

Perhaps Ginn would be worth it if we decided on an instant special teams upgrade instead of getting more help on defense.

Somehow I just don't see us taking him there though.

Take away Devin Hester's kick returns and were the Bears really all that great last year? Didn't they have a game where they didn't score an offensive TD but won anyway.

Perhaps Ginn would be worth it if we decided on an instant special teams upgrade instead of getting more help on defense.

Somehow I just don't see us taking him there though.

I'm just going to come right out and make a really stupid point. For the Bears, having a return man like Hester is a huge asset because their offense sucks and their D is great. The D forces more punts and creates more opportunities for Hester to shine. Plus, it keeps the crappy offense off the field. It would be the exact opposite if the Bengals selected Ginn. The D NEVER gets off the field and the offense never gets on. Every time Ginn returns it I can just hear the big sigh issued from Big Sam and Co as they pick their helmets back up and drag their sorry behinds back out on the field.

Marvin: Bengals will consider taking Ginn in 1st.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6002

Wow...that was a loud explosion...I guess that's what it sounds like when the heads of 10,000 Bengals fans explode simultaneously! :lol:

Marvin just wants a playmaker. Someone that can make a difference in the return game, the passing game, and maybe, maybe even have a chance to be a Troy Brown on defense.

I don't buy it. I'd imagine the Bengals will "consider" taking any available players at #18. That won't amount to actually taking Ginn over a defensive player though.

There's certainly never any shortage of smoke in the week leading up to the draft. That said, a lot of people seems to forget that marvin's isn't the only voice in the draft room, and in the end isn't even the most important. That voice belongs to the fellow who signs the paychecks.

We all know that Mikey is an offensive guy at heart. And if a Ginn or Olsen or Lynch is there at 18, well, if you don't think Bratkowski will be arguing for them you're nuts. Marvin will certainly have a voice, and that voice will almost certainly call for defense...but we also know, because he's said so, that Marvin has been outvoted before in the Bengals' draft war room.