Those Crazy-Spending Pats Strike Again

Weird. I read the blurb about the Patriots signing Tory James and immediately flashed back to yesterday when I pushed a womans stalled car less than 20ft to a gas pump.

Isn't it funny how my mind works?

:huh:

"Funny" yes -- but not always 'ha ha' funny. I am having a hard time following the Pat's moves this off-season. Either I don't have a good grip on value and talent, or they're making some odd signings. When I saw this, my overwhelming thought was "couldn't they have gotten him for about half of that?"

Well good luck Tory. I am sure Chad and company is looking forward to having a big game against the pats now. I propose a deep ball early for all the times he got burnt deep as a bengal.

who dey

"Carson pump fakes right....and Chad is wide open down the left side...touchdown Chad Johnson....."

This Bengal future moment in history brought to you by Tory James.

So does that mean that Deltha stays now?

Well good luck Tory. I am sure Chad and company is looking forward to having a big game against the pats now. I propose a deep ball early for all the times he got burnt deep as a bengal.

who dey

"Carson pump fakes right....and Chad is wide open down the left side...touchdown Chad Johnson....."

This Bengal future moment in history brought to you by Tory James.

So does that mean that Deltha stays now?

Deltha was never going anywhere.

Tory James will have a average year in New England just like all the other older castaway players do, the Pats will make the play-offs like they always do, and all the fans of the teams that let those older players walk will be saying, "man I thought that guy was washed up..."

The President should hire Bill Belichick to solve the energy crisis, because no one else out there can take so many washed up pieces of crap and turn them into the fuel that gets the Pats into the play-offs each year. When all is said and done, Belichick might be the best coach in NFL history. The guy hasn't had any Reggie Bush's, LT's, Peyton Manning's, ect. yet has won three Super Bowls. When I say he hasn't had guys like that, I mean high draft choices that were big name players. If you look at his roster, most players were developed, and the guys that were high draft choices were mostly grunts, with the exception of Maroney this year. He has also had some major bust draft picks early (Chris Canty `97, Robert Edwards `98, Andy Katzenmoyer `99, Adrian Klemm `00, Logan Mankins `05) , but has still been able to develop a contender annually. In the years 1997 through 2000, the Patriots had first round busts, yet unlike the Bengals, that did not send them into a downward spiral into oblivion. Belichick took over the team in 2000 where he inherited a team in a situation similar to what Marvin did. His record since taking over the team: 2000 5-11; 2001 11-5 and a Super Bowl; 2002 9-7; 2003 14-2 and a Super Bowl; 2004 14-2 and a Super Bowl; 2005 10-6; and 2007 12-4. Over a 7 year span, the Patriots have made the play-offs 5 times and won 3 Super Bowls under Belichick.

If this guy ever writes a book when he retires, every football coach in the country will be buying it.

who dey

Won't happen, Tory will have safety help in NE. He usually had none here as a Bengal. I'm not knocking M. Williams, but most the time Tory got burned Madieu didn't get to the play until it was too late.

who dey

Won't happen, Tory will have safety help in NE. He usually had none here as a Bengal. I'm not knocking M. Williams, but most the time Tory got burned Madieu didn't get to the play until it was too late.

What! Madieu Williams is the second coming of GOD! Just ask Chuck Bresnahan. :lmao:

Attempting to blame Madieu Williams for Tory's flaws is like trying to blame Carson Palmer for getting his leg ripped off. It's not Palmer's job to block the DE. He's just the guy who receives the brunt of the damage.

If Tory hadn't lost a step, he wouldn't have been forced to cheat all the time. His "veteran" cheating was what resulted in him getting beat deep. At that point it was Madieu on an island against whatever WR was running alone... and it's easy to look bad as a safety in that situation. You can argue that Madieu took a step back last year, but Tory's flaws are still Tory's fault.

My point is, if Tory had done his job, Madieu would have looked fine out there. And even when Tory was guarding his man well, he would fall down for no discernable reason. Unless the Patriots have a safety play man-coverage on Tory's man... it won't matter. Tory gets beat way too often... and that isn't Madieu's, or any other safety's fault.

Right off the top of my head I can't think of NE's safety situation, but there was talk here of moving Tory to safety and can't help but wonder if NE has the same plans. I know Samuel is an issue for them, but he isn't going anywhere "this" season...

WHODEY !!!

That wouldn't be a terrible move, because Tory has traditionally been a good tackler... but I still have visions last year of him bouncing off WR's rather than wrapping them up. The Pats will probably knock that out of him though if he wants to get on the field.

Tory is an aging vet who has gotten by the past couple years on his brain and instincts rather than physical ability. That will work for a while, but can keep you in the league for only so long... and his years as a starting CB are over (in my opinion). He might need to make that position change to prolong his NFL career. Honestly, I hope it works out for him... but I'm glad he's finding out with a team other than Cincinnati.

I wish Tory the best of luck in NE, he's a good family man so I'm happy to see him get another opportunity to play in the NFL. Although Tory's play was disappointing at times last year, he still made more good plays than bad and was a major part of the turn around. When was the last time we had a Pro Bowl cb before Tory came to town? Here's to you Tory :cheers: , I wish you much success in NE, expect when you play the Bengals.

1 year, $2.7m, per nfl.com...

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

More comp picks? Well, if anyone can squeeze another year out of him its L'il Bill! Good luck, Tory! :lol:

Best off-season move yet!

who dey

The Bengals don't play a cover-2 defense much. Our free safeties play center field. How many times did the other safety sit in the box or blitz?

When I saw this, my overwhelming thought was "couldn't they have gotten him for about half of that?"

They sort of did. The NFL Network claimed that the deal is actually for 1.4 million with another 1.3 million possible if certain production standards are met. Those triggers might be hard to reach if James was signed soley as insurance in the event that Asante Samuels holds out.

Usually in NE, the sum is greater than the parts. I don't see this being any different. The patriots will scheme and pressure, and they will inevitably make Tory look better than he looked here.

Seems Keiwan thinks the same..did anyone catch his comments on Bengals.com

Now he doesn’t have to rely on playing so much man-to-man and in a zone he’s an athletic 6-2 corner that can go out and make interceptions on third down. He won’t have to worry about going out every down trying to win the game for a team and he can just go out and use his athletic abilities on third downs.”

Is Keiwan serious??? So that's what Tory was trying do when he would go for a pick and totally take himself out of a play or when he would just fall down for no good reason or when he simply gave up on tackling Santonio Holmes in the last game of the season with the playoffs on the line in overtime no less. Imo, he's trying to infere that Tory wasn't a major liability last season, I guess he feels that way because regardless of how poorly Tory played Keiwan still couldn't beat him out for a starting job, which says alot about Keiwan.

But let's review the words and actions of Mr. Ratliff, first he can't seem to understand the concept of running straight on punt returns, then he complains to the media about a lack of playing time late last year when the team was imploding before our very eyes, and now he claims Tory James was trying to win the game on every down last year, like Tory was our saviour or something. Hell if Tory could just keep his man out the end zone every once in a while I would settle for that. Wow! I think we will be hearing, with the 18th pick in the 2007 draft the Cincinnati Bengals select, insert cb name here. Deltha, Jon Jo, rookie, Greg Brooks, PS fooder.

Keiwan your time in Cincy is dwindling to an end, good riddance.

Usually in NE, the sum is greater than the parts. I don't see this being any different. The patriots will scheme and pressure, and they will inevitably make Tory look better than he looked here.

Even if Asante holds out, Tory was signed as a nickel back at best. Now he'll line up on the slot, which is usually the third or fourth best receiver. Slot receivers don't often run deep patterns, go patterns, or outs, so Tory will usually be crossing underneath the safeties, and will get safety help if the reciever breaks free. Speed is not the primary need of a nickel or dime back, which should suit Tory well. Tackling is necessary in the nickel, which is why Keiwan sucks, and will never be a starter. :bengal: