Marvin addresses personnel issues

Story

Summary:

Tab is still hurt but running again now

Perry is a long ways off from returning it seems

Levi wants his "jewelry" back, which was apparently taken from him the night of the Porter incident

He is not optimistic about Odell still, and says Caleb and Brooks will compete for the MLB spot. Of course, this could change pending Odell's completion of rehab and return from suspension. He certainly seems to be in rehab for a long time. No reason to count on Odell at this point, much like Pollack and Perry.

Andrews and Whitworth will compete for the vacant LG spot

Marvin never said he wasn't optimistic about Odell. That's how the writer interpreted it, but in reality, all Marvin said is that Odell isn't really a part of the team. That's the same thing he has been saying ever since Odell was suspended, and that's the same thing he will keep saying until Odell returns. What else can you say? The writer wants to read things into that and put in his own commentary, but it's not warranted. Maybe that's one reason why Marvin always gets so annoyed with this guy from the Enquirer.

And I don't know where it said Perry is a long way off. All it said was Perry is working hard to get back (If you were talking about Chris, not Tab-it was hard to tell from your post). As for Tab, I don't know if he is still hurt, but he hasn't been cleared to play yet.

Whitworth hasn't played guard yet right? Andrews has - so I think that's a fair statement from Marvin. Plus I hope they continue to groom Whitworth at tackle any ways. Levi and/or Willie will get hurt, and I'm not sure how much longer Willie will have knees. I think Whit would make a good Willie replacement.

Tab is just "now" starting to run a little he said - I take that as someone who still has some time before he's healthy again. That was a nasty hip injury. You need your hips to run. :) You can't expect him to just come back as good as he was before right away. Just like Chris Perry and Odell and Pollack - don't count on any of them nex season at this point.

As for Odell - keep in mind he's most likely nowhere near NFL football shape and sat out an entire year, last he was spotted, he looked terrible, and looked bad last preseason.

I'm being realistic - can't see Odell being much of a factor next season.

And yes I was reading into some of Marv's comments, sorry.

Plus I hope they continue to groom Whitworth at tackle any ways. Levi and/or Willie will get hurt, and I'm not sure how much longer Willie will have knees. I think Whit would make a good Willie replacement.

For me, the only real red flag that popped up was the news of Levi's second knee surgery in five-six months. He was supposed to have a simple procedure to clean out the knee during last season, and be back in a few weeks, and ended up pretty much gone for the rest of the year. (Unlike Bobbie Williams, who had the same thing done and was back in a few weeks.) Now we got precedure #2, supposedly yet another "cleanout." Hmmm. Well, hopefully everything will be fine... :unsure:

Story

Summary:

Levi wants his "jewelry" back, which was apparently taken from him the night of the Porter incident

rofl @ the obvious

double rofl @ putting "jewelry" in quotations

In reality, all Marvin said is that Odell isn't really a part of the team. That's the same thing he has been saying ever since Odell was suspended, and that's the same thing he will keep saying until Odell returns. What else can you say? The writer wants to read things into that and put in his own commentary, but it's not warranted. Maybe that's one reason why Marvin always gets so annoyed with this guy from the Enquirer.

You gotta give Coach credit though.

I mean, when he continues to re-iterate something, he means it.

He said up and down last off-season that Carson would start at the beginning of the season, and he did.

He was primarily the reason why I drafted Carson with my first overall pick last season.

I mean, he's not commenting on O'Dell.

We can be optimistic, its the nature of most fans, but I mean, we have to prepare as if he won't return.

Much like Pollack and Henry.

Marvin never said he wasn't optimistic about Odell. That's how the writer interpreted it, but in reality, all Marvin said is that Odell isn't really a part of the team. That's the same thing he has been saying ever since Odell was suspended, and that's the same thing he will keep saying until Odell returns. What else can you say? The writer wants to read things into that and put in his own commentary, but it's not warranted. Maybe that's one reason why Marvin always gets so annoyed with this guy from the Enquirer.

I think you're referring to Chick. Ludwig will ask the same question nine different ways to where Marvin snaps and then he laughs it off. It's a rather funny back-and-forth.

Whitworth hasn't played guard yet right? Andrews has - so I think that's a fair statement from Marvin. Plus I hope they continue to groom Whitworth at tackle any ways. Levi and/or Willie will get hurt, and I'm not sure how much longer Willie will have knees. I think Whit would make a good Willie replacement.

Fair enough about the Willie comment... but Whit did start 2 games last year at LG. He played more at LT, but because of Levi's injury... But he did play Guard against Cleveland in the 2nd game of the year (Our most productive rushing game of the year). He did that having never started a game in the NFL before, as a rookie. If Andrews couldn't get on the field ahead of him then, I doubt it will happen when Whit has a year under his belt. This is just standard Marvin talk about camp competition.

As for Odell - keep in mind he's most likely nowhere near NFL football shape and sat out an entire year, last he was spotted, he looked terrible, and looked bad last preseason.

Agreed on this one. Hoping for Odell to do anything but watch this year is probably wishful thinking.

That said... I've become fairly confident in Caleb Miller's ability. Even if he's not 250 lbs, he's crazy fast, smart, and a very solid tackler. With Brooks, Jeanty, and hopefully a 2nd round WSLB, there will be more than enough brute physical ability to make up for anything Caleb lacks in that category.

Fair enough about the Willie comment... but Whit did start 2 games last year at LG. He played more at LT, but because of Levi's injury... But he did play Guard against Cleveland in the 2nd game of the year (Our most productive rushing game of the year). He did that having never started a game in the NFL before, as a rookie. If Andrews couldn't get on the field ahead of him then, I doubt it will happen when Whit has a year under his belt. This is just standard Marvin talk about camp competition.

Agreed on this one. Hoping for Odell to do anything but watch this year is probably wishful thinking.

That said... I've become fairly confident in Caleb Miller's ability. Even if he's not 250 lbs, he's crazy fast, smart, and a very solid tackler. With Brooks, Jeanty, and hopefully a 2nd round WSLB, there will be more than enough brute physical ability to make up for anything Caleb lacks in that category.

Good enough, and hope Whit excels at LG then. The only thing is that I think Caleb is just a solid backup/ST's guy - he had chance to really prove himself last year - and faded into oblivion in the 2nd half. This team desperately needs a leader at MLB with a chip on his shoulder and some big play making abilities (something Odell was for one season, despite all his mistakes).

A MLB who looks like Frodo Baggins is not my idea of a stud MLB. :)