Revis runs a 4.38?

Not sure how accurate that time is... but it is exactly what Joseph ran last year. I'm not sure how much I care though. The 40 time isn't the best test for game speed.

Besides... the thing I really like about Revis isn't his speed. He's a very physical CB. He'll jam a WR at the line, is a great tackler, and plays with an attitude. That's more important to me for the Bengals defense right now. We've got Joseph who can be a great CB against the fastest #1 WR's. Revis is a guy I'd be very happy with as our #2 CB. Perhaps a perfect complement to Joseph's style, and will add an overall physical and tough attitude to our secondary (to go along with Dexter).

Not sure how accurate that time is... but it is exactly what Joseph ran last year. I'm not sure how much I care though. The 40 time isn't the best test for game speed.

Besides... the thing I really like about Revis isn't his speed. He's a very physical CB. He'll jam a WR at the line, is a great tackler, and plays with an attitude. That's more important to me for the Bengals defense right now. We've got Joseph who can be a great CB against the fastest #1 WR's. Revis is a guy I'd be very happy with as our #2 CB. Perhaps a perfect complement to Joseph's style, and will add an overall physical and tough attitude to our secondary (to go along with Dexter).

I won't spend much time debating which player should be considered the #1 CB, but Revis is far more polished than Joseph. In fact, with concerns about his speed put to rest it's pretty hard to find a flaw in his game.

I won't spend much time debating which player should be considered the #1 CB, but Revis is far more polished than Joseph. In fact, with concerns about his speed put to rest it's pretty hard to find a flaw in his game.

I'm not all that sure that concerns about his speed are put to rest (and if they are, he probably won't fall to 18).

Anyway, I doubt that anyone will argue against the idea that Joseph is the faster of the two. That said, I agree with you. If he indeed is as fast as Joseph, he is probably the better CB (although Joseph has proven it in the NFL). But given his 4.5 time at the combine, I'm not sure I really have faith in that 4.38 time he put up. I just think he'd have a hard time keeping up with speedy #1 WR's. Other than that... I love his game, and would be pretty happy if we got him at 18.

More important than the 4.39 in the 40 is his 6.56 in the 3 cone.

I believe that it is important for cornerbacks to be able change direction quickly.

He also 10'-5" in the broad jump and a vertical jump of 38". The later is more important to me for dealing with taller WR and jump balls.

His 20 yd time was also a very good 4.08.

All this info is from Great Blue North Draft Report. Great Blue North Draft Report

Ya but Did he play this fast on the field? even if a player runs a fast 40, you can still see if he plays that fast or doesnt...Joseph ran a 4.32 and you know hes a speed demon on the field... I can't say I feel same about Revis.

The answer to your first question is YES.

Don't get too wrapped up on 40 time -- it has some importance, but, as you point out, "on the field" is more important. On the field, I believe that "quickness" is as important as 40 yd speed. McCauley ran a 4.39 in the 40 and he has ZERO interceptions for his CAREER. [Yes, I know he did have passes defended --but shouldn't he have at least ONE interception since he played opposite Richard Marshall two years ago.]

IMO After reviewing game tapes of Revis, McCauley, Houston and Hall,-- Revis is more productive and contributes more to his teams defense than any of them. Revis tackles better, supports the run better and defends the pass better. Revis doesn't play the "bump and run" quite as well. In addition, Revis can return punts.

There is another candidate in Round 2 that is a poor man's Revis, i.e. Tanard Jackson. Jackson can play CB or S, which may be an advantage.

I'd be quite happy if our pick at 18 is Revis

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...rellerevis.html

while all else looks good, the part about punt returning skills seals the deal for me

My biggest concern about drafting a corner in the first round is the affect it will have on O'Neal. If he sees it as a threat to his job, my guess is that he will react negatively and recoil into his shell. I think if we draft a corner in the second round he might view it as adding depth, and not be threatened by it. I know this is a really touchy-feely approach, but if they expect O'Neal to return to his 05 form and be the starter for the entire season, then they are going to have to take this approach. If they want to test his moxy, then take a corner in the first.

I'd be quite happy if our pick at 18 is Revis

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...rellerevis.html

while all else looks good, the part about punt returning skills seals the deal for me

My biggest concern about drafting a corner in the first round is the affect it will have on O'Neal. If he sees it as a threat to his job, my guess is that he will react negatively and recoil into his shell. I think if we draft a corner in the second round he might view it as adding depth, and not be threatened by it. I know this is a really touchy-feely approach, but if they expect O'Neal to return to his 05 form and be the starter for the entire season, then they are going to have to take this approach. If they want to test his moxy, then take a corner in the first.

eh.

It's called competition. His attitude and play last year didn't help him, that's for sure.

I mean, how often do rookie CB's get on the field anyway regularly?

JJ was an abberation.

Thing is if Oneal remains starter next year we could still use a 1st round corner simply for depth since ours has been so weak...he'd play nickel behind Oneal and return punts till either Oneal Gives up or until new corner beats him out.

I mean, how often do rookie CB's get on the field anyway regularly?

JJ was an abberation.

Alot when people draft them to start but they also tend to get burned alot being a rookie,That was a perk of Jjoe he wasen't rushed in to the postion and flourished.

IMO After reviewing game tapes of Revis, McCauley, Houston and Hall,-- Revis is more productive and contributes more to his teams defense than any of them. Revis tackles better, supports the run better and defends the pass better. Revis doesn't play the "bump and run" quite as well. In addition, Revis can return punts.

Dead on.

Sounds good to me. Change of direction dictates a CBs ability for any kind of man coverage but the recovery speed has to be there too. A time like Revis posted is enough to show he can get there and could even be capable of slot coverage against possession receivers where his physical play would be useful.

Had he come up with a Daymeion Hughes time, it could've pigeonholed Revis but this is enough to go with his game play, his punt return ability and his physical play against the run to be considered the #2 CB in this draft behind Hall IMO, which hopefully means a #18 pick for the Bengals. :bengal: