Thornton will stay a Bengal

GapControl

Unfortunately, 1 of the 2 weakest parts of our defensive line will continue to play for the Bengals this year. John Thornton is the line`s weakest part followed closely by Bryan Robinson. Knowing the Bengals relationship strategy with cutting players, eventhough Thornton is breaking the salary cap bank this year he will not be cut. If he were to be cut it would have happened by now. They would have done so early in the FA period.

There is word he will restructure his contract but he is the main reason we are weak at defensive tackle and have no salary cap space to go after a solid defensive player in free agency.

We will not benefit if we cut him now or later. If we can get a FA worth wild, we will cut him in a heartbeat. Keep a close watch on Takeo, he will end up being a Bengal and Thornton will be cut to make room for his 4 million dollar salary. We will save 4.35 million for cutting thornton.

Yeah... that massive contract is really weighing us down. If we cut him, we'd have a whole 3 million. That could get us a top 10 DT. (For those who are lacking common sense - this is sarcasm).

If you want my opinion, the weakest part of our D-Line last year was Sam Adams. At least Thornton was on the field more than 15-20 snaps a game. Thornton is neither a strong part of our line, nor the weakest. He might be getting paid more than he earns... but if the Bengals could get a better player at the money he's making, he would have been cut by now.

Robinson was fine last year too. He was primarily a running downs DE, and he registered 42 tackles. That is good enough for a role-player. The rushing defense was not a major weakness last year, meaning that I'm not 100% sure that DT is a huge concern right now. If we had a problem on the D-Line, it was with the pass rush (but the secondary wasn't exactly holding up their end either).

I'd much rather Bryan Robinson than John Thornton, given where are needs are on the DL. I doubt either will occur though, given our questionable depth all over the line.

If we cut Thornton, we force DT up our draft board considerably. If we cut B-rob, we still have fair depth at DE and DT both.

So Thornton gets on the field a lot. And? I can get on the field a lot, too but it doesn`t mean I am worth 4.5 million in cap space. Why not bring in Takeo (for instance) and let Shaun Smith, Peko, and name your favorite DT/DE take over for Thornton?

His 4.3 million dollar cap hit does hurt our salary cap. He has a higher base salary than everybody on our team besides Justin and Carson. He makes double the amount of Sam Adams and Robinson. Peko is a more productive player and should gain more snaps, taking away from Thornton's playing time. Sam made some huge plays on 3 and 1 last year but he didn't play very much. He was injured for most of the year and he only makes 1.5 million. His production doesn't equal half of his pay. I need to start a cut Thornton forum because the more I look into it, the more I realize how stupid the bengals organization is for keeping him around.

I think Thornton is still a Bengal for the following reasons, in order of importance.

1) He's average. He isn't as bad as people seem to think, but nor is he as good as his salary should indicate.

2) We only have two real DTs on the roster behind him, both of whom are unproven.

3) He's a positive influence on the young talent.

His 4.3 million dollar cap hit does hurt our salary cap. He has a higher base salary than everybody on our team besides Justin and Carson. He makes double the amount of Sam Adams and Robinson. Peko is a more productive player and should gain more snaps, taking away from Thornton's playing time. Sam made some huge plays on 3 and 1 last year but he didn't play very much. He was injured for most of the year and he only makes 1.5 million. His production doesn't equal half of his pay. I need to start a cut Thornton forum because the more I look into it, the more I realize how stupid the bengals organization is for keeping him around.

Yeah, someone tell me what the hell he gives us? I mean, I was all for Thornton when he came over from the Titans and was heralded as an athletic and quick run-stopper, a so-called Marvin "hardworking gem". Over the years, Thornton has proved that he is NOT that player. I think the reason he is still here and the only reason, is that he was Marvin`s handpicked free agent signing and stays healthy. It is time to say goodbye to him. The run defense improved last year but it is not to the level of playoff winning football yet.

We will not benefit if we cut him now or later. If we can get a FA worth wild, we will cut him in a heartbeat. Keep a close watch on Takeo, he will end up being a Bengal and Thornton will be cut to make room for his 4 million dollar salary. We will save 4.35 million for cutting thornton.

You are killing us with this Takeo talk, Takeo is not even close to being the same player. You are the only one enthusiastic about Takeo, the Bills have enough cap room to keep him why let him go when they already lost one of their starting LB. The Bills are on there way up they are not dumb enough to get rid of two starting linebackers for the hell of it, when they have the cap room to keep one.

You are killing us with this Takeo talk, Takeo is not even close to being the same player. You are the only one enthusiastic about Takeo,

Actually, I'm another. EVERYONE knows he's not the same player. EVERYONE understands finances. But, if Takeo can solidify this linebacker corp., then discuss. What's the harm in the team looking at all their options?

You are killing us with this Takeo talk, Takeo is not even close to being the same player. You are the only one enthusiastic about Takeo,

Actually, I'm another. EVERYONE knows he's not the same player. EVERYONE understands finances. But, if Takeo can solidify this linebacker corp., then discuss. What's the harm in the team looking at all their options?

Does everyone? All it takes is one stupid team, usually the Raiders or Redskins.

Takeo is a long shot but he is better than any LB we have and he can bring motivation. He knows how to pump a team up and that is what we are lacking. There has been news going around about Buffalo trying to trade him and if he doesn't get traded their talking about releasing him before june 1st ( the last day they can spread the cap hit). He has expressed his dissapointment w/ the Bills organization and the front office isn't happy w/ him. It's a long shot but it could definately happen. You know he was pissed when he watched us go to the playoffs while he sat at home, he left because we were a horrible team and he wanted to win. We are a good team and we have a secure foundation that has the chance to make the super bowl. He has a chance to come in and finish where he started out.

Frankly, the idea that Thornton should be cut now is pretty ridiculous. The Bengals typically don't cut bubble players until they've secured their replacements and there's no way they're going to find one in this free agent market. The talent isn't that good and the prices are outrageous.

Thornton's status isn't going to be determined until they see what players they get in the draft.

Frankly, the idea that Thornton should be cut now is pretty ridiculous. The Bengals typically don't cut bubble players until they've secured their replacements and there's no way they're going to find one in this free agent market. The talent isn't that good and the prices are outrageous.

Thornton's status isn't going to be determined until they see what players they get in the draft.

Okay, does Thornton get cut if we take a Day 1 DT?

I honestly don't know. All I'm attempting to point out is that the Bengals don't traditionally release bubble players to create cap room until it's actually needed OR until they've secured a replacement for the released player. And again, there's no way they're going shopping for a replacement in this free agent market. In addition, many teams delay the release of veterans until their new rookies can be evaluated in minicamps.

I honestly don't know. All I'm attempting to point out is that the Bengals don't traditionally release bubble players to create cap room until it's actually needed OR until they've secured a replacement for the released player. And again, there's no way they're going shopping for a replacement in this free agent market. In addition, many teams delay the release of veterans until their new rookies can be evaluated in minicamps.

Yup. Between the FA price inflation, Tory and Deltha melting down, not having any real LBs, and only having two day 1 picks, it'll probably be hard to run Thornton off the team. Unfortunately.

What about Brian Simmons, we cut him before we had a capable replacement. Our D-Line is in a lot better position than our LB core. If Shaun Smith stays, Thornton should be shown the door. We might be waiting to see if we have anybody we like fall to us in the draft.

What about Brian Simmons, we cut him before we had a capable replacement.

Simmons was cut because he was already on the bubble and the cap room was needed immediately. In addition, I think the argument can be made that Simmons replacement is already on the roster.

What about Brian Simmons, we cut him before we had a capable replacement.

Simmons was cut because he was already on the bubble and the cap room was needed immediately. In addition, I think the argument can be made that Simmons replacement is already on the roster.

Not sure how you're playing LB shuffle, but I sincerely hope our starting LBs this year aren't the ones we ended last year with (ie, Jeanty/Miller/Landon). Quite frankly, of the three, Jeanty is the only one I'd even consider being happy with as a starter.

Not sure how you're playing LB shuffle, but I sincerely hope our starting LBs this year aren't the ones we ended last year with (ie, Jeanty/Miller/Landon). Quite frankly, of the three, Jeanty is the only one I'd even consider being happy with as a starter.

Don't forget the Bengals' ambassador to Germany this year...

What about Brian Simmons, we cut him before we had a capable replacement. Our D-Line is in a lot better position than our LB core. If Shaun Smith stays, Thornton should be shown the door. We might be waiting to see if we have anybody we like fall to us in the draft.

No disrespect, but I couldn't disagree more.

Our starters on the DL might not look as bad as the LBs (if Thurman returns, I guess I could disagree more), but we have much more depth at LB than on the DL. Cutting Thornton would make that problem considerably worse.