Dillon may be gone next season?

B24

There have been some recent rumblings that the Cincinnati Bengals might consider releasing tailback Corey Dillon next spring, a move that would allow the club to realize between $1.3 million-$3.4 million, depending on when he was jettisoned. But don't count on Dillon, who turns 29 in two weeks and has started to miss time to injuries, being cut by the Bengals. Traded? Now that's another thing. There could be a team or two, even given Dillon's age, that might be interested in surrendering a middle-round choice for him. The Bengals, under such a scenario, would still get a cap break, realize an extra draft pick, and might be able to get by with Rudi Johnson as the starting tailback.

That was posted in Len Pasquarelli's article yesterday on ESPN.com. A story is also on The Cincinnati Enquirer's webpage about this.

I'm not sure I'd want Dillon to be traded or let go. He's been a great back for the Bengals. This season he hasn't contributed much due to injury, but once he gets healthy, look out.

He's always been a bright spot on the team since '97. Breaking two NFL records and bringing positive spotlight to a team that is usually gets no spotlight except to be made fun of.

The Bengals had better really think about it before they get rid of a player of this magnitude.

Dillon's age makes thinking about life without Corey unavoidable. But I don't see any pressing need to let him go. The Bengals aren't in cap trouble and their most immediate needs are positions like center and RG, which aren't high-ticket slots. So financials aren't really a concern. And I don't think that Rudi or Watson have shown themselves to be satisfactory replacements, even in the short-term, yet. I certainly would expect them to be looking at RB in the draft in '04 or '05, tho.

I checked your take on the buffalo game before responding. It's hard to say that 1 player would make the difference between winning and losing BUT its a little easier to say what was or wasn't missing in a game.

The only thing I saw missing in this game was a consistent, effective running game. If the Bengals had been able to run the ball the entire game, I think they would have won by about 14 points.

Now that I got that out of my system, I can't see the Bengals letting Dillon go unless he wants to. Which at this point he doesn't seem to. I can't wait to see what he does against the ravens. That, I think will be a good indicator of what he will do for the rest of the season. It's been hard to gauge Bengals efforts up to this point because of key people playing hurt or not at all. The ravens are a decent team, and all of the Bengals will be healthy for the game. A good game by Dillon will quiet all of the talk about cutting or trading him.

as i said before, we are watching the current bengals, and they are trying to win......the bengals of the future are palmer, 2 new receivers, some new lineman and A NEW RB, not dillon.....think about it ...the stats say that at dillon's stage of his career it is all down hill for him....it's either after 4 or 6 yrs a RB's stats decline......looking at lewis's moves ...i do believe dillon is not part of the future bengals....ie 2004

re Dallas and Dillon

I went to the Cowboys webpage, and found a reference to Dillon under "Micks Note". According to him, it was Dillons agent who contacted Dallas because of the trade deadline closing in. He also added that Dallas was " one of the teams " contacted by Dillons agent. I guess Dallas isn't interested, but now I'm wondering who the other teams might have been. With Dillons agent making calls, I'm also wondering if there isn't already more to this than we know. Another thing that coach Lewis has shown since taking the team is his tendency to make surprise moves.

The party line over on bengals.com is that Corey's not for sale. Frankly, I'd be shocked if they traded him now; they simply haven't shown much ability to run the ball without him. And I'd be surprised if they traded him in the offseason (unless there continue to be injury issues) because I don't think Lewis would relish the idea of starting the '04 season with a rookie QB *and* an X factor at RB.

As for his agent making calls, hey, that's what agents are supposed to do. And given the bengals tendencies toward releasing injured players this year, it's probably a smart play.

I'm a little different than the rest of you. I wouldn't mind if they let Corey go. You can tell that he's not buying into Marvin's system and by the time comes when the Bengals are ready to make some legitimate shots at a Super Bowl ring, Dillon will be too old. If he's smart he will leave and get a ring somewhere before his time is up. When you're a running back and you start getting older your body can go out on you at any time. Just look at Curtis Martin this year. The Bengals would also benefit from a nice draft pick, and a little bit of money to sign more free agents. If we could get 4 starters for Dillon like we did for Spike's money, I'd say do it.

I can't really see the Bengals trading Dillon. Unless Dillon becomes a real jerk I can't see them doing it. Next years draft is very deep with Running Backs, so they can draft one late on the first day, Keep Corey so you don't have to depend on a rookie RB, or the committee approach. Corey has a few good years left in him there is no need whatsoever to get rid of him. He is the perfect back for a Marvin Lewis team. The injuries he has had are not traumatic, not career threatning. He has been a work horse and extremely healthy, these injuries happen and are no reason to ditch him. But I will say if he becomes a problem, trade him. The Bengals don't need that sort of thing. But I don't ever want to see #28 on another team, he has been simply amazing since he got here.

Cheers

I can't really see the Bengals trading Dillon. Unless Dillon becomes a real jerk I can't see them doing it. Next years draft is very deep with Running Backs, so they can draft one late on the first day, Keep Corey so

I don't ever want to see #28 on another team, he has been simply amazing since he got here.

seing Dillon on another team is like watching emmitt play for the cards it just aint right !!!!!!!!!!

I don't think Emmtt is feeling real good about playing for the Cards right now either. I wouldn't like to see Dillon go either, BUT .... when they do draft his replacement the best thing to do is let him go immediately. I just don't see him filling the role of mentor to the new guy as well as Kitna is doing with Palmer. I think he would be a major ... negative distraction in the clubhouse if he had to share it with a guy he knew was going to replace him. Counter points ????????

Trading or even cutting Dillon next year would be the dumbest thing the Bengals could ever do. I could never watch the Bengals the same way without Dillon, I've noticed that this year with the time he's missed. The way I wish it will play out is that Dillon is still with the Bengals when they win a super bowl. Wouldn't it be great to see Dillon standing there holding up the super bowl trophy, all the while one tear slowly rolls down his face? It's almost John Elway like. I'm not a Denver fan, but to see Elway win a super bowl was one of the happiest football memories I have. Just to see one of the best players of the game to get that trophy after so many years of trying.

Dillon has put in so many good years with the Bengals, and if he doesn't get a chance to win a super bowl with the Bengals then I hope he gets close and retires a Bengal. There are too many players that just jump around the league, they have no loyalty.

So to end this long post, Dillon needs to stay in Cincy, he should retire a Bengal, and he deserves a super bowl ring. There is only one #28 and that #28 only plays for the Bengals.

Trading or even cutting Dillon next year would be the dumbest thing the Bengals could ever do. I could never watch the Bengals the same way without Dillon, I've noticed that this year with the time he's missed. The way I wish it will play out is that Dillon is still with the Bengals when they win a super bowl. Wouldn't it be great to see Dillon standing there holding up the super bowl trophy, all the while one tear slowly rolls down his face? It's almost John Elway like. I'm not a Denver fan, but to see Elway win a super bowl was one of the happiest football memories I have. Just to see one of the best players of the game to get that trophy after so many years of trying.

Dillon has put in so many good years with the Bengals, and if he doesn't get a chance to win a super bowl with the Bengals then I hope he gets close and retires a Bengal. There are too many players that just jump around the league, they have no loyalty.

So to end this long post, Dillon needs to stay in Cincy, he should retire a Bengal, and he deserves a super bowl ring. There is only one #28 and that #28 only plays for the Bengals.

I agree with you completely.

I'm a little different than the rest of you.  I wouldn't mind if they let Corey go.  You can tell that he's not buying into Marvin's system and by the time comes when the Bengals are ready to make some legitimate shots at a Super Bowl ring, Dillon will be too old.  If he's smart he will leave and get a ring somewhere before his time is up.  When you're a running back and you start getting older your body can go out on you at any time.  Just look at Curtis Martin this year.  The Bengals would also benefit from a nice draft pick, and a little bit of money to sign more free agents.  If we could get 4 starters for Dillon like we did for Spike's money, I'd say do it.

i wouldn't mind seeing dillon go...as before i don't think he is the future...drafting is an option yet i still think Watson is a strong potentil replacement.....i still believe, at this point, dillon is a negative impact for this team...he has not bought into lewis....what you see is smooth sailing on the surface with what i believe are major under currents beneath.....i've seen dillon take himself out of too many games at various points.....i know you bengals faithful may take exception, but stats indicate it's all down hill....he may have 1 or 2 more good years, but these will be motivated by his being on another team....as far as dillon becoming a jerk; well, he certainly has shown an attitude over the years when things don't go his way....oh well, what do i know

In the "Inside Dish" Dan Pompei of SportingNews.com said:

Why is running back Rudi Johnson getting most of the action in the Bengals' backfield? It seems running back Corey Dillon has had a problem with knowing his plays. It also seems Dillon has had a problem executing his plays. What's more, Dillon hasn't had the best attitude. Dillon is the type of player new Bengals coach Marvin Lewis won't put up with for long. A good chance exists Dillon will be cut in the offseason. . . .

In the "Inside Dish" Dan Pompei of SportingNews.com said:

Why is running back Rudi Johnson getting most of the action in the Bengals' backfield? It seems running back Corey Dillon has had a problem with knowing his plays. It also seems Dillon has had a problem executing his plays. What's more, Dillon hasn't had the best attitude. Dillon is the type of player new Bengals coach Marvin Lewis won't put up with for long. A good chance exists Dillon will be cut in the offseason. . . .

Pompous is an @$$ -- but this is mind-bogglingly dumb. Whay is Rudi getting the rock? Gee could it be 'cause Corey's hurt? Corey doesn't know/can't execute? Huh? How'd he rack up 79 yards against the Raiders in the first half before hyperextending his knee? Guys who can't execute or don't know the playbook rarely hit a 180-yard-game pace. And vs. Pitt? Well, he had 7 carriers for 26 yards before getting hurt midway through the second. The whole, rest of the game, the combined rushing power of Kitna, Bennet and Warrick managed 31 whole yards on 8 carries. Dillon would have totalled out around 80 at least.

But this is what Corey gets for not making nicey-nice with the media all these years. He's down and they can't wait to pile on. Keep it coming, scribblers. All it'll do is p*ss Corey off and I'd love to see him take that anger out on Baltimore...

i believe dillon will run his as.... off for the remainder of the season....WHY????? more bargining power as he also runs away from cincy...this way he can renegoiate a new and better long term deal as part of his departure....which if indeed becomes true..then we should be happy for him <_< and think about this......who is getting to work together on the 2nd unit......by golly wally...it's palmer and watson.....think about it

A couple interesting comments re: CD from Marvin on bengals.com today:

(A)ll head coach Marvin Lewis says is he’ll be a lot more cautious activating Dillon for Sunday against Baltimore than when he lost him for a half against Cleveland Sept. 28.

“That affects my decision big time. We want to make sure we don’t leave ourselves at risk at some other position, based on how he feels,” Lewis said. “Let’s just make sure he’s totally able and he’s back to where he can be Corey. He tried to drag himself out there (at Cleveland) and it didn’t work out for the best. He would have probably been served better if we had sat him that week, and we would be sure this week about where he is.”. . .

Lewis might just be blowing smoke, but that seems to argue against the "CD is dogging it/quitting/not buying in to Marvin's program" theory. There was also a note in PFW's whispers column to the effect it was more likely than not that CD would be in stripes next year, and that the only concerns about him were injury-related, which makes sense.