Falcons meeting with Kelly, Sign Wilkins

OTOH, there's some stupid money being thrown around. Freakin' Falcons just gave a 5 year, $18m deal, with a $5m signing bonus, to now-ex-Raven FB Mughelli...

Yeah. $3m+/year for a fullback. :wacko:

That's just the point, it's a grossly inflated market and the Bengals aren't unwise sitting out the initial surge of stupidity while they wait and see how many of their own players they can retain. Then, after the draft they'll be another wave of talent available, but much of the money pool will be dried up.

Dude -- chill out man. I like how you say this is a mb and you're free to post your own opinions. Then you tell me to go away. KMA

I'm not telling you to go away, I'm asking you why you keep doing something that 1. you don't have to do and 2. you say upsets you?

If you said, I'm really tired of banging my head into this wall, it hurts, would you get mad if I told you you maybe should think about stopping doing it? That's all.

You know, I'd like to believe it was meant to be that mild a comment -- but it clearly wasn't and it's insulting for you to try to change-it-up like that. Am I to interpret "come shovel my walk and walk my dog" as a friendly invitation? There are frequent conflicts of opinion on this board that I, for the most part, don't drop down into because it's not that interesting. But when I'm venting with my comments of my opinion and not directed at anyone in particular and I get back "go away" and/or "come shovel my walk" I'm gonna take that as a jackass comment directed at me personally. If you always tell somebody that exhibits frustration in their comments on this board to go do something else - that's offensive. I look at Shula comments every day that are little else but frustration. I don't agree with most of his comments, but I can't recall telling him to go away. I'm just calling you on it. Apologize or ignore me, but don't insult us both by claiming you didn't say it.

That's just the point, it's a grossly inflated market and the Bengals aren't unwise sitting out the initial surge of stupidity while they wait and see how many of their own players they can retain. Then, after the draft they'll be another wave of talent available, but much of the money pool will be dried up.

True, but those later waves are also made up of lesser talent, and the few decent players will still scare up big deals from teams willing to use financial tools the Bengals won't. And by adopting this strategy they essentially "let their talent choose them" versus choosing the best candidates for their needs. That makes financial sense, but doesn't optomize performance on the field.

You know, I'd like to believe it was meant to be that mild a comment -- but it clearly wasn't and it's insulting for you to try to change-it-up like that. Am I to interpret "come shovel my walk and walk my dog" as a friendly invitation?

I guess you didn't get to the next line about bringing a case and we'd skip all that and get straight to the drinking? Sheesh, OK, sorry. I did not at all mean to suggest you leave.

You know, I'd like to believe it was meant to be that mild a comment -- but it clearly wasn't and it's insulting for you to try to change-it-up like that. Am I to interpret "come shovel my walk and walk my dog" as a friendly invitation?

I guess you didn't get to the next line about bringing a case and we'd skip all that and get straight to the drinking? Sheesh, OK, sorry. I did not at all mean to suggest you leave.

I honestly didn't know how to interpret that. If you thought I was directing my original comment at you, I wasn't, although I suppose it could have looked that way. In any event, after harshing on TDB for absolutely no reason whatsoever I find I now have a powerful thirst. :cheers:

I honestly didn't know how to interpret that. If you thought I was directing my original comment at you, I wasn't, although I suppose it could have looked that way. In any event, after harshing on TDB for absolutely no reason whatsoever I find I now have a powerful thirst. :cheers:

That makes two of us. :cheers:

Wilkins a Falcon, per Hobson:

The Bengals did lose one of their unrestricted free agents Friday when linebacker Marcus Wilkins signed a three-year, $3 million deal with Atlanta. The Falcons envision Wilkins as the leader of their special teams and plan to use him in a more expanded role on defense.

Jeez...Bengals must have really lowballed him...

True, but those later waves are also made up of lesser talent, and the few decent players will still scare up big deals from teams willing to use financial tools the Bengals won't. And by adopting this strategy they essentially "let their talent choose them" versus choosing the best candidates for their needs.

I'm not sure it's true that the post-draft wave of free agency will be made up of lesser talent. After all, there's precious little defensive talent available now, right? And at best the Bengals are only looking to add one or two players from other teams so who cares when they become available?

And the big money deals will dry up....or if you prefer, the stupid money deals you're seeing inked right now will stop. And when that finally happens you'll see the market value of 2nd level talent fixed, and that's when the Bengals typically go shopping. Granted, that means they'll never sign a Nate Clements style deal, but to be perfectly honest I don't really want them to.

Go figure, huh?

The Bengals did lose one of their unrestricted free agents Friday when linebacker Marcus Wilkins signed a three-year, $3 million deal with Atlanta. The Falcons envision Wilkins as the leader of their special teams and plan to use him in a more expanded role on defense.

But...the deal stipulates that he has to pay the team back for the first class ticket for his wife.

Notwithstanding the agent comments about him moving to have a bigger role on the defensive side of the ball, this looks like ST and back-up money to me. It suggests to me nothing so much as that he wasn't that much of a priority to the Bengals. Good luck to him -- it seems like a reasonable contract for a player in his role.

I'm not sure it's true that the post-draft wave of free agency will be made up of lesser talent.

I'm not sure why, it usually is. And if one or two good players shake free, there may not be stupid money around, but history says there will be enough to beat the bengals.

Granted, that means they'll never sign a Nate Clements style deal, but to be perfectly honest I don't really want them to.

Go figure, huh?

Actually, I did and the Clements deal actually isn't that crazy, if the caveat that it's really a 6 year, $7.25m average, deal with some BS years tacked on is true. That would put Nate's salary at an average of about $3.5m per (6) seasons, and the $22m guaranteed would add about $3.6m to the cap hit if amortized over those same six years. Less if they stretch it out and take a big hit later, or if they front load some of the bonus since they have a ton of cap room this year.

Good god, for a special teams player? :D

Let me say I'm glad Marvin/Brown/The Blackburns are taking care of this and not some of the people on this board. If it was up to them we'd be the second coming of the Washington Redskins and dumping big worthless contracts.

Whoo, thank goodness it's turned out the way is has, eh? :P

Noteworthy event bearing on Reggie Kelly: Pats pluck 8,000 year old TE Kyle Brady away from the Jags for $5m over 2 years, including a $2m signing bonus. :blink:

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor...g_8362522.shtml

Thats a pretty big pile for a 35-year-old, especially one whose production has absolutely plummeted in the last 3 years. Oh, those crazy-spending Pats!

The Falcons have made a contract offer to free agent TE Reggie Kelly.

Kelly still has visits scheduled with Arizona and Oakland, and may look to shop around first. It's uncertain if the Bengals are still in the mix.

We can't lose him, I don't want a TE in the draft.

Vikings | Shiancoe contract numbers

Sat, 3 Mar 2007 12:19:49 -0800

Updating a previous item, Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports TE Visanthe Shiancoe's contract with the Minnesota Vikings is a five-year contract worth about $18 million, including $7 million in guarantees.

Looks like Kelly will Cash in Big time