Playstation 3 getting Rumble and More!!

johnson85

Sony and Immersion patch up

Electronics giant settles suit with creator of DualShock controller's rumble feature; both companies now "exploring" putting tech back into PlayStation products.

By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot

Posted Mar 1, 2007 4:13 pm PT

Two years ago, a judge sided with Immersion Corporation in that company's suit against Sony, ordering the electronics giant to pay $82 million for patent infringement. Immersion claimed the rumble feature in the PlayStation's DualShock controllers was based on its own technology.

Now the two companies have put the patent dispute behind them and have formed a new agreement "to explore the inclusion of Immersion technology in PlayStation format products." The Immersion announcement does not mention the PlayStation 3 specifically, but the system's Sixaxis controller has been criticized for not having a rumble mechanism, a feature shared by the competing Xbox 360 and Wii, as well as the last generation of gaming consoles.

"Our new business agreement with Sony Computer Entertainment is specifically intended to enable advanced vibration capability for the benefit of the PlayStation gaming community," Immersion CEO Victor Viegas said in a statement. "We are happy to provide our technology in this regard and hope to make technical proposals very soon with respect to use of our technology in the PlayStation products."

A Sony representative gave the following comment: "We are very pleased to have reached a cooperative agreement with Immersion regarding the use of its advanced vibration technology (haptics technology). We look forward to working closely with them as we explore new and innovative ways to utilize this technology in PlayStation products."

According to an Associated Press report, Immersion will receive $22.5 million from Sony over three years, while Sony gets the licenses to use some Immersion patents.

and

home_small.jpg

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/895.html

"An inside source close to Sony made a post on the IGN boards a few weeks ago talking about a new feature that Sony would be implementing. At the moment the feature is dubbed "Home", and Sony has even secured a patent and logo for the name. The poster commented that this new Home feature would create a virtual home located in a virtual town, populated by the people on your buddy. Your buddies can go inside your house when your PS3 is online, and you can go inside their house.

Your home will act as a storage of trophies, achievements, and other rewards that can be viewed by anyone on your buddy list. But, the most crucial aspect to the asset is that it'll let people listen to audio on your HDD and watch videos from your HDD (you make the audio/video public or private). You'll be able to play a host of mini-games like cards with your friends, and also have the virtual TV in your home display a video in your PS3. Lastly, the poster suggests that you can walk outside of your house and visit the Virtual Theater (you'll get movie clips/videos here) and visit the Virtual Arcade.

A NeoGAF forum member by the name of Gofreak discovered the logo, the patent, and a lengthy description that Sony filed for. At this moment, it's looking like "Home" is the real deal -- we just have to wait a few days until Sony gives us the full details on what sounds to be one amazing feature."

Very very exciting news.

List of what Sony has Patented

wireless receipt, storage and/or transmission of data and messages

conducting and coordinating real-time and asynchronous communications

sharing information and audio/video data via electronic communications networks

downloadable electronic publications; sound and/or video recordings featuring music and entertainment, television programs, motion pictures, news, sports, games, cultural events, and entertainment-related programs of all kinds

computer software to allow users to perform electronic business transactions via the Internet

Electronic games services provided by means of the Internet;

Internet games (non-downloadable)

organizing of games; entertainment services provided online and/or via a computer database for matching users for the transfer or sharing of music, video and audio recordings via communications networks

providing on-line chat rooms and electronic bulletin boards

providing of an on-line service enabling physically remote players of an electronic game to search on-line for other players and to communicate with selected players during the game

organizing, staging and the provision of on-line tournaments

entertainment by means of wireless television broadcasts

Hosting on-line web facilities for others for organizing and conducting meetings, gatherings, interactive discussions and interactive game play

computer services in the nature of customised web pages for featuring game player information, including information regarding a player's identity and the player's preferences

hosting the computer sites of others on a computer service for a global network

creating and maintaining computer sites for others

website design services

creation and development of virtual and interactive images and environments

providing on-line access to computer networks, computer databases, the Internet, on-line bulletin boards, virtual worlds and libraries of text, graphics and audio-visual and multimedia information and entertainment

Introduction and social networking services, namely introducing electronic game players to others

360 > PS3 ;)

Don't think so buddy. There are games on the PS3 that can only be made for the PS3. Because of the Cell Processor, people think its an ordinary cpu its not, it has 8 separate cpu's on one chip. this enables developers to run multiple things at one time. like physics on cpu, uncompressed PCM sound(the highest quality you can get), you can have tons and tons of enemys on the screen, and higher resolution textures to make the graphics better. The limits are endless, plus the delvelopers have the storage capacity in Blu-ray to also make much larger worlds. Its pretty much the same thing now. The Xbox 360 is easier to program for yeah and the PS3 is harder, People said the same thing about the Dreamcast being easier, (BTW PS2 sold 120 MILLION units. Dreamcast 10 Million, not sure on xbox figures. oh and PS2 is still outselling the 360, and xbox 1 is dead and so is dreamcast and gamecube. who do you think has the longer life span of in their consoles) but the PS3 is a new technology and it takes time for developers to get a handle on working with 8 CPUs.. The PS2 was the same way, but every year games got better and better, now look at God of War 2 then go play a launch title tell me that gameplay and graphics didnt get a whole lot better. oh and look at Gears of War 2nd year game right. There will be games for the PS3 coming out this year that look just a good. (KILLZONE 2...Check with me next week!)

Here is just how good games can be on the PS3.

Launch Title - IGN rating 9.1

Resistance: Fall of Man - CPUs in use 2

and that game has alot going on all the time.

Killzone 2 -

watch the interview with Jack Trenton, he tells you its gameplay!! Sony is saying now that the game is looking even better than that video. http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748475/vids_1.html

Sorry but i'd rather have a console that I don't have to send back 6 or 7 times cause microsoft cant fix it right first time.

and i have a pc i play halo, its a good game but its not the Greatest game ever that people think it is. I really dont want to spend $600 on a video card just for it to be outdated in a couple of months. I can spend that on a PS3 :)

I really dont want to spend $600 on a video card just for it to be outdated in a couple of months. I can spend that on a PS3 :)

No doubt, I wouldn't even consider participating in that crap. I still play older computer games that I've finished 30 times apiece, and they're all still more fun to me than any console stuff.

Here is Heavenly Sword that come out this month.

hs.gif

Video of Heavenly Sword on Heros

I really dont want to spend $600 on a video card just for it to be outdated in a couple of months. I can spend that on a PS3 :)

No doubt, I wouldn't even consider participating in that crap. I still play older computer games that I've finished 30 times apiece, and they're all still more fun to me than any console stuff.

Dude, you're totally missing out. I've been playing computer games since Bill Gates transformed into God, and there's no game that compares to Gears of War.

But I admit, I still get wood playing Duke Nukem 3D.

Sorry but i'd rather have a console that I don't have to send back 6 or 7 times cause microsoft cant fix it right first time.

I'm really happy with my 360. At first I was having heating issues, but that resolved since I learned it's not a good idea to put a console on carpet. I had the original Xbox from about the year it was first released until about six months ago -- when she went to video game heaven.

and i have a pc i play halo, its a good game but its not the Greatest game ever that people think it is.

Because you didn't play it on the XBOX!!!!!!! :D

I would like to see actual game play and not just a trailor that is heavily altered. PS3 is not worth $600 bucks, when you can get a 360 which is practically the same thing(except Blu-Ray) for cheaper .

A car isn't worth $10,000. But he have to have one. Put the same logic here. :huh:

Dude, you're totally missing out. I've been playing computer games since Bill Gates transformed into God, and there's no game that compares to Gears of War.

I actually have Gears of War, but honestly I haven't been able to enjoy it much. Shooters just aren't my cup o' tea I guess. I'll never object to playing a good and nerdy real-time strategy game or even an RPG though.

I would like to see actual game play and not just a trailor that is heavily altered. PS3 is not worth $600 bucks, when you can get a 360 which is practically the same thing(except Blu-Ray) for cheaper .

Hey buddy hate to burst your bubble but that is actual gameplay!

So is this

57051420070303_114944_0_big.jpg

57051420070303_114945_1_big.jpg

Audio confirmation on Ratchet that it is Gameplay!

He talks about it in like the first 5 minutes or so. http://zdmedia.vo.llnwd.net/o1/Podcasts/EGM/030507.mp3

Dude, you're totally missing out. I've been playing computer games since Bill Gates transformed into God, and there's no game that compares to Gears of War. (not yet, give it time the PS3 is only a few month old)

But I admit, I still get wood playing Duke Nukem 3D.

I'm really happy with my 360. At first I was having heating issues, but that resolved since I learned it's not a good idea to put a console on carpet. I had the original Xbox from about the year it was first released until about six months ago -- when she went to video game heaven.

but it still sounds like an F-16 right :lol:

and i have a pc i play halo, its a good game but its not the Greatest game ever that people think it is.

Because you didn't play it on the XBOX!!!!!!! :D

Yeah I have, ive beat 1 and 2. Actually play 2 today, a friend of mine brought over his xbox today.

A car isn't worth $10,000. But he have to have one. Put the same logic here. :huh:

You know its pretty damn good when you mistake it for CG

More GAMEPLAY and developer interviews

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVNZBQkPG9Y

here is a great vid of more in depth of Heavenly Sword...They actually have the guy who did the performance of Gollum in the Lord of the rings as one of the characters in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49fH7HdMdUQ

It just keeps getting better and better. Sony will begin to play their cards

You and your PS3 need to get a room dude

Whatever dude, Just stating the facts on which console is better! Cause xbox fanboys seem to think the 360 is more powerful and what not. The only good thing 360 has is Halo, gears and xbox Live.

Sony just unveiled their live killer by offering everything live has and more for FREE!

Video: http://gamevideos.com/video/id/9861

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZY2vwlh5-g

March 7, 2007 - Phil Harrison likes to speak in public. Sure, he may not admit it -- but every time I see the man, he's standing on top of a stage or blocking a television set with his elongated frame, microphone in hand.

Want proof?

At this very moment (10:30am Pacific Standard Time) the SCE Worldwide honcho is presenting his "Game 3.0" keynote speech as the opener to the 2007 Game Developer's Conference. There are hundreds of industry folk in attendance, and Big Phil is no doubt grabbing their attention with his company's PS3 initiatives for 2007. He's like a sunrise, that one.

home-20070307030914196-000.jpg

Of course, Phil had to prepare for today's big moment in some way or another, and prepare he did on the top floor of a rather trendy club in San Francisco's Embarcadero yesterday evening. As a special favor to the 80+ press members in attendance, Harrison practiced for this morning's presentation by unveiling everything he's elaborating on right now. The creative new project known as "LittleBigPlanet", the company's philosophy behind the current game generation, and 32-player online-only Warhawk were the major topics. But none of them, not even LittleBigPlanet, took up as much time as "Home" -- Sony's forthcoming PS3 community service.

You've no doubt heard of Home thanks to a pre-conference leak out of popular gaming blog Kotaku, and as it turns out, a lot of the early rumors were true. Users do get their own Mii-like avatar to represent themselves in Home's Virtual space, and there is an achievement-type system that awards players with trophies for accomplishing specific tasks (unofficially known as "milestones").

Described as "the first of its kind," Home is an avatar-based virtual neighborhood built on the shoulders of every PS3 owner who participates. Offered as a free download from the PlayStation Store, the new networked feature installs a unique icon to your XMB and then launches just like a game does. Once connected, users are able to join online games, go shopping, talk with other people, and mess around with various media types for as long as they see fit. And to be honest, it's actually pretty cool.

home-20070307034614479-000.jpg

Virtual PSP

"Your Virtual PSP gives you access to all the navigation, features and options of Home."

Our first taste of Home was a brief look at the 3D world that represents it. Bright and colorful, the environments look similar to a bare bones Grand Theft Auto title, only the surroundings were serene and centered on a garden and water motif. But before we could study the architecture any further, Phil keyed up the "Virtual PSP" component and we were on our way.

Used as a quick navigational tool, the Virtual PSP allows users to hop between bookmarked spaces in their Home universe. Over the course of the entire 30-minute presentation, the PSP was only ever used to transition to new areas, so how much functionality this digital portable actually offers is still a mystery.

Character Customization

"Each person can customize their clothes and facial characteristics, with millions of potential combinations."

Next on Phil's agenda was showing off how to customize avatars, and while they're essentially the same thing as a Mii (re: Nintendo's Wii), they're far more advanced. Not only do character models look legitimately "next-gen," they're also highly modifiable. Heads, torsos, legs, feet, and accessories (plus gender swaps) serve as base edit types, while an indeterminate number of options can be selected from there. Harrison also confirmed that items and clothing will be both free and premium depending on the piece, and that playing certain games unlocks even more bonuses. Phil even mentioned that face customization would get better with time.

The Central Lounge

"The Central Lounge is the large social meeting space and is your initial starting point in Home. Communication is key in Home, and there are many simple ways to get to know people. Emotes are animations that get your point across fast. You can access short phrases using Quick Write, or if you have something big to say you can type with a Virtual or USB keyboard, or talk with a Bluetooth headset."

Once an avatar has been chosen, it can then move about the world freely and its first stop will likely be "The Central Lounge." Here, patrons will be able to see other people moving about and conversing with one another, and Sony has truly thought of everything when it comes to communicating (Quick Write options, USB keyboard support, and Bluetooth voice chat seem to integrate seamlessly). Clients can also use emotes to convey moods or just be ridiculous with motions like disco dancing, shoulder shrugs, pointing, waving, and plenty more.

home-20070307043742334-000.jpg

One of the more interesting aspects of Home is actually made for businesses as opposed to users. That is, every wall can be used for dynamic content -- or more specifically -- advertising. Posters, HD-quality imbedded video, and eventually even websites can be slapped on the walls like a coat of paint. "Free through advertising' is obviously the model being used here (it's pretty non-invasive too).

Games Space

"The Games Space is where you can meet and relax with your friends with free casual games such as bowling, pool and retro arcade games."

If hanging out and talking to strangers or reading ads isn't your thing, the main lobby comes stocked with a couple of neat little mini-games. "HomePool" and "HomeBowling" were the examples shown off in the demo, but Phil also revealed a mini-arcade where you could play new downloadable titles that would be updated frequently. What's particularly cool about this setup is that you never leave the world when playing since you're free to look around your surroundings and zoom in and out of the arcade screen at any time.

Apartment Space

"Your Apartment Space is your private apartment where you can invite your friends and family. Your free, initial apartment can be decorated and upgraded to the height of luxury with furniture, accessories, pictures and videos from your own collection."

If there's one area where people will spend most of their time, it's definitely going to be "Home Space." Here, users can design their own apartment and modify their living quarters into a quaint little hideaway or a lavish two-story pimp pad. Plus, just like the outside areas are customizable for a paying businesses, your own home can likewise be customized by you.

home-20070307044025271-000.jpg

Pictures, movies, and even websites can be imported from your hard drive or removable memory stick and put onto virtual television sets or picture frames in a matter of seconds. Wallpapers can be customized as well (some selections are even game-themed), and any furniture you buy is entirely physics-based (so there aren't any arbitrary slot restrictions in how many items you can have). Phil showed this off by dropping his virtual Bravia down the stairs a couple of times and made a joke about it being just as sturdy in the game as it is in real life. As an added bit of fun, Harrison even proved that his digital Bravia television set was outputting proximity-based audio, and when he walked too far away from it the sound reacted accordingly.

Sony is hopeful that friends and (more importantly) clans will use these apartments to get together and talk about strategies or setup gaming sessions. Users will be able hang out and listen to MP3s or audio CDs via virtual stereos if they choose, or can launch a group multiplayer game without having to leave their space. Eventually, players will even be able to add personal pool tables and arcade units of their own should they not want to venture out into the Lobbies. It's definitely a cool feature (we just wonder how effective it will be in pulling people in and keeping them there).

Hall of Fame

"The Hall of Fame is the space where your game accomplishments are stored as 3D Trophies and video for public and private display."

As Phil left his apartment, he moved on to my favorite space of the entire presentation -- The Hall of Fame. Sony's answer to the Xbox 360's achievement system, the HOF gives users the ability to view trophies they've earned from playing games in a real 3D way (some trophies even have audio or video aspects to them). What's more, is that patrons can even modify trophy cabinets and pick which trophies they want to show to friends.

home-20070307045311438-000.jpg

Star Wars Episode III fans should also be happy to learn that you can view trophies for games that you haven't even earned yet in another room. Why would they be happy? Because those unearned trophies look like they're sitting in the floating soapboxes from the senate scenes of the last Lucas flick (it's a vast high-tech warehouse). Also of note: among the games scattered throughout the Hall of Fame, titles that have already been released, like Resistance and MotorStorm, had accessible trophies as well. Whether or not that means that you'll get these accomplishments retroactively or through a patch that comes later is unknown.

Sports Lobby

"Both game and non-game brands can strengthen their user communities in Home by custom building their own spaces."

Harrison's next stop was one that we didn't get to see much of, as it was more of a philosophy than it was a currently-existing room. Known as the "Sports Lobby" in this demo, it was an area was where fans of a particular type could congregate for specific games, franchises, characters, or even publishers. The example we saw, while not officially EA, looked a lot like an Electronic Arts room -- with a dedicated sports theme and plenty of mini-games (including a three-point basketball challenge). Obviously, the types of things that companies could do here are limitless, and Harrison plans to have non-gaming content have their own rooms one day as well.

home-20070307050922588-000.jpg

Home Theatre

"The Home Theatre is a shared viewing area for the latest trailers, films and user-created content."

Our last stop was a convincing recreation of a local cinema known appropriately as "The Home Theatre." It's pretty straightforward, though pretty flexible too. Here you can watch DVD or Blu-ray movies you already own, view movies off your hard drive or memory stick, or simply stream content from the PlayStation Store and view it in a room with others while you do so. In the demo, Phil showed a bit of the Casino Royale trailer, a smidgen of Resident Evil Extinction, and then just walked the halls to show off some more navigational stuff.

Leaving the theatre concluded the Home demo, but not the information about it. We learned that it will appear in beta form sometime next month (April), with a finished version available for everyone ready to go this fall. Personally, I can't wait to see more of it. I can't recall having seen application with this much potential for any videogame system prior -- and after all the questions and criticisms that Sony has been hit with since November, it's good to see that it still has tricks up its sleeves, and finally explained what that "Home" button on your Sixaxis controller really does.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/770/770998p1.html

And this game looks really cool. You have to watch the video to understand it!

Video: http://gamevideos.com/video/id/9860 ....... Youtube:

March 7, 2007 - Media Molecule has some creative folk. Made up of ex-Lionhead employees, the team is best known for the weirdo Steam downloadable, Rag Doll Kung Fu (which was made up of martial arts battles that played out in semi-2D with marionettes). But before Rag Doll Kung Fu even existed, the guys at MM were key members on other high-profile projects like Burnout 3, Impossible Creatures, Magic Carpet, Syndicate and several more. Not a light resume.

It's the team's first major project for a console, however, that could really put them on the map. Developed exclusively for the PlayStation 3, LittleBigPlanet is the epitome of imagination. Even in the presence of Home, Sony's impressive new community software, LittleBigPlanet stole the show at Phil Harrison's "Game 3.0" practice conference, and was the thing that everyone was talking about.

littlebigplanet-20070307014739269-000.jpg

That sort of buzz may come as a surprise given LittleBig's somewhat adorable appearance, but it's not the cutesy art style that sets it apart (though the game is beautiful. It looks like a Pixar project and the animation is great). No, what makes LittleBigPlanet unique is the idea that players control what kind of experience they have; they're given a blank canvas and can then design whatever sort of platformer they want.

It all begins in an open area where the player, a little burlap guy named "Sackman," has total power over his world. To use that influence, players just need to open a "thought bubble" filled with various (and unnamed) icons that can then be used to create new assets. The concept here is that everything the player controls is made up of different materials such as organics, wood, metal, rubber and other substances, and that each matter type has its own adherence to the law of physics.

Following the laws of physics means that if Sackman tries to push an orange across a flat surface, its weight and texture affects how easy or difficult the task may be. However, users can modify objects in their world at the push of a button and super-size the orange so that it can no longer be pushed by a single Sackman. Instead, two or three other players may have to join the original hero just so they can move it. Keep in mind, any object in LittleBigWorld's universe can be sized, resized, or stamped with customizable stickers or additional objects at any time.

littlebigplanet-20070307014738660-000.jpg

Another cool aspect to this design is that you don't have to just push the orange to continue side-scrolling along in the level. Players can try to solve obstruction puzzles in any way they see fit -- by using jet packs to fly over things; use their momentum during a running start to create more force, etc, etc. What's more is that Sackman is pretty versatile and in addition to running, jumping, pushing, and pulling, he can also make emotional gestures with the Sixaxis and even strike out at fellow Sackmen if he has an attitude problem.

As you can tell, the possibilities for a game like this are extremely high and watching the Media Molecule crew adding new things to their level as they went along (including new costumes to multiplayer buddies without the need of any off-site editors) was fascinating to watch, The team even revealed that users can find and discover new parts to build more intricate levels as they go along and that users will be able to share stages with other players globally via a worldwide distribution system that's sortable by ratings and popularity, offers user comments for each map, and plenty more.

In other words, it looks pretty damned hot. Look for a fully-featured sample version of LittleBigPlanet to appear on the PlayStation Store this fall, with the final game to appear on Blu-ray (and the PS Store) in early '08.

This is what next gen is!

PS3>360 definitely!

Who wouldn't want a console that just happens to play Bluray? Someone without a HDTV or 2...

Man Sony really blew their FREE network off the map with Home. That is unbelievable. It's almost sicking to think that I'm gonna have an actual life on there, some people may really get sucked into that. LOL.

The part I don't like about the free network is how you have to pay for all the extra's like furniture for your crib. That's kinda wack! But a sweet idea non=the-less! I can design my pad and invite friends over to hang out and then launch a game. That can really get interesting, the things you'll be able to do on there.

Xbox is a decent system, I'll give them that, but '07 is Sony's year. MS will bite the Home idea and call it their own, I just want to see how long it'll be before they make their network free. Home has all the features of Live plus tons more. MS is in trouble with that for really yo!

Xbox is good for shooters, that's it. Sony is a complete entertainment computer/console.

^That's just my opinion. I really don't like 1st person shooters on the PS3, I think that the Xbox is made for shooters. I mean look at its #1 game, Halo. Now if it's 3rd person, that's a whole other story. Metal Gear Solid is probably the best game ever, just imagine what it's going to be like on this next-gen console.

IMO sports games suck on any xbox machine, 1 or 360. For some reason I just don't think they know how to program a sports game for those systems!

IMO sports games suck on any xbox machine, 1 or 360. For some reason I just don't think they know how to program a sports game for those systems!

With the 360, the only sports games I've played are Madden and Tiger Woods. Both are sweet -- but I admit that I haven't played either on a PS3, so I can't compare the two personally.

The one thing that really disappointed me is that EA didn't release their '07 version for NASCAR on the 360. Similarly, MS (Xbox) didn't port the game either for the mythical backwards compatibility. But I've read that both systems have limited backward compatibility functionality with both systems being so dramatically different then their predecessors.

And no, I don't think Halo or the mega-sweet Gears of War is indicative of the systems' main usage (i.e. shooters). All systems, except Nintendo, have their fair share of shooters. But these days, except for the few exclusive games, all games are provided on all systems.

Then again, it really doesn't matter to me. The XBox 360 was available at a time when I needed a console. And I don't need an entertainment center... just a console to play games and a DVD player.

^That's just my opinion. I really don't like 1st person shooters on the PS3, I think that the Xbox is made for shooters. I mean look at its #1 game, Halo. Now if it's 3rd person, that's a whole other story. Metal Gear Solid is probably the best game ever, just imagine what it's going to be like on this next-gen console.

Exactly, Madden is perfect for the Playstation controller. I can play madden on xbox but the game just feels more natural on a playstation controller. (and ive played on an xbox quite a bit)

Exactly, Madden is perfect for the Playstation controller. I can play madden on xbox but the game just feels more natural on a playstation controller. (and ive played on an xbox quite a bit)

Feel the same way, but for the Xbox. Played a lot on the playstation at a friends, but just not as comfortable as the Xbox for me.

Feel the same way, but for the Xbox. Played a lot on the playstation at a friends, but just not as comfortable as the Xbox for me.

Exactly. It's like the difference between driving a manual and an automatic.

Exactly. It's like the difference between driving a manual and an automatic.

This must be the first or second year that you guys have ever played madden. I've been playing madden since it was on the super/genesis. Madden, along with most other games, evolved perfectly into the PS controler. Why do I say that... It's easy. D-Pad. I like the D-pad still being the primary controll on the PS controller. Just like it was on sega's and nintendos. Analog sucks for most games, including madden, but shooters that's another story. Analogs are perfect for shooters, that's why I feel the xbox is better for 1st person shooters with its' primary control being the analog.