Corey Simon

SkinneymulleT

What about his fat ass? He will likely be cut by Indy. Likely will want big money but who will put it up and take the risk on a guy who was so fat he couldnt play last year (besides the Dan Snyder)? He may be a bargain and may want to go to a contender with need, i.e. the bengals. Would be a risk but if he get it back, place him and sammy in the middle and we could stand up our DE and place them a yard outside the tackle box and just let them attack every play ala LT! :o HAHHAHA!!!!

Simon was effective for the Colts in '05 (once he played his way into shape) but I have no idea what hapened to him this past season. There were initial reports that he had ballooned back up in the offseason, then he was shelved, allegedly with some mystery illness/condition/whatever. I did see a note (PFT, I think) that Simon was spotted on the field celebrating after the Colts beat the Pats in the playoffs but was not present in Miami for the big game. Not having any idea what shape he's in or what his problem is, I would be very leery of him.

Simon was effective for the Colts in '05 (once he played his way into shape) but I have no idea what hapened to him this past season. There were initial reports that he had ballooned back up in the offseason, then he was shelved, allegedly with some mystery illness/condition/whatever. I did see a note (PFT, I think) that Simon was spotted on the field celebrating after the Colts beat the Pats in the playoffs but was not present in Miami for the big game. Not having any idea what shape he's in or what his problem is, I would be very leery of him.

I heard that Corey has some type of arthritis or something. Once again I don't want a has been who we are guessing on what kind of shape he's going to show up in. Corey's not motivated enough for me, give me a young hungry guy that is trying to be a beast so that he can make him some money on his second contract. Somebody that's trying to make the pro bowl and make a name for himself.

I heard that Corey has some type of arthritis or something. Once again I don't want a has been who we are guessing on what kind of shape he's going to show up in. Corey's not motivated enough for me, give me a young hungry guy that is trying to be a beast so that he can make him some money on his second contract. Somebody that's trying to make the pro bowl and make a name for himself.

Yeah, I think the official name of the condition is "Fat-ass joint deterioration." See, human knees aren't meant to support something the size of Cory Simon. If I recall, the team played hardball and put him on the non-football injury list.

I wasn't against seeing him in stripes after he left the Eagles, but after seeing him go all Mama Cass, I don't want him to be in Cincinnati when he dies trying to freebase a sandwich.

Simon has gotten less productive with every single year in the league. He's still living off his rookie year when everyone thought he would only get better. Turns out he's only gotten worse. He will continue getting worse no matter where he plays... so I'd prefer it not be in stripes.

It sounds like Corey Simon will soon join the ranks of so-called "name" free agents who are cut after one or two disappointing seasons. For those who are counting we've almost reached 30 already, and there'll be plenty more cast off after the draft produces cheaper replacements.

Why so many of you want to chase those types is beyond my ability to understand, but it seems like you're in good company. After all, the Colt's just won a championship but their fan base is filled with Hoosiers who feel compelled to criticize their teams front office.

Read the following and tell me it doesn't sound eerily familiar.

Questions posted March 5, 2007

QUESTION: I would like to know why the Colts year-in and year-out are constantly at a point where we as a team are just under the salary cap? We are always trying to restructure someone’s contract in order to get money to deal with next year. I don’t get it. I think Bill Polian and Jim Irsay do a great job with the salary cap, but I’m also frustrated that we never have enough money to keep some of our defensive stars (linebackers) or sign anyone who can help us. And to add to this misunderstanding is an increase in the salary cap this year and next year, and we still do not have enough money to keep some of our free agents happy. Hey, New England does it year after year and the Denver Broncos always sign two or three people. Can you explains?

-- from Maurice Zuver, Bryan, OH

ANSWER: I can give you several answers – Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Tarik Glenn, Ryan Diem, Dwight Freeney, Raheem Brock. Those are among the highest-paid players on the team. Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Glenn and Diem are among the highest-paid at their positions in the league. Freeney will count at least $8.6 million in ’07 as a franchise player. Part of the reason the Colts don’t do much in veteran free agency is it’s very costly and it’s a real crapshoot. Remember, you’re signing players – yes, many of them very good ones – whose previous teams decided against reinvesting in. I understand fans’ frustrations over the annual exodus of very good linebackers. But I’m not sure I would have re-signed any of them for what other teams paid them. Yes, the cap keeps going up. But so do players’ salary-cap numbers because of the way the contracts usually are constructed. Most of the time, players that are lost can be replaced. It becomes a problem when a team fails to do so – like with Gilbert Gardner failing to adequately replace David Thornton. Finally, let’s not give New England too much credit on the free-agent market. The Patriots have let some pretty good players go – Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, Willie McGinest, Corey Dillon, Deion Branch and some guy named Adam Vinatieri.

I wouldnt call Simon a dissapointment. His first year their defense was much better and didnt give up 150 yards a game. Freeney and Mathis thrived with Simon in there eating up space. He wasnt in there last season and Mathis and Freeney werent productive. So to call him a disapointment is wrong. You guys think every free agent is a dissapointment, he was actually doing great until the arthritis kicked in. But can he really help that? No.

The difference, is that the Colts go to the playoffs every year and have a SB champsionship now.

When the Bengals' get to that point Hair, I'll stop complaining.

Funny the Colts signed Corey Simon, Anthony McFarland (via trade) and Adam Vinateri of late also.

These were targeted Fa's to get them over the hump for a SB run - not willy nilly spending on their part - not sure where you are getting that people are advocating over-paying every Joe Schmoe with a known "name" to a contract here.

For every "Corey Simon" you name, I can come up with at least 2 names of successful cases of FA's who helped another team.

From Drew Brees to Terrell Owens to Adam Vinateri to Curtis Martin, Corey Dillon, Jerome Bettis, and a ton of others - pointing out one failed case in FA is simply short-sighted and does nothing for your argument that FA is a farce.

For every "Corey Simon" you name, I can come up with at least 2 names of successful cases of FA's who helped another team.

Well, you should be able to come up with a name or two seeing how you can cherry pick from the histories of 31 other NFL teams.

What I find most interesting is how so many of you are willing to pretend the Colts were smart for grossly overpaying Corey Simon, ignoring the fact that he reported and played all season horribly out of shape, didn't provide the interior pass rush that was expected, and didn't play a single down after his 1st season with the Colts. Frankly, if that isn't a busted free agent signing I don't know what is, but few of you can bring yourself to admit the obvious due to your fondness for burning big bags of cash while chasing inaccurate headlines.

The pool of talent in this years free agent class is weaker than it's ever been precisely because more teams have concluded that chasing free agents is too expensive and risky and have made retaining their own talent a priority. And as the article makes clear you can count the championship winning Colts amongst that group.

I looooooooove fat guys. Bring 'em in. See what's left in the tank (with obvious logic included, such as pay, injury, etc...). One, two down guy. Have rotation. Peko and Thornton on passing downs. Big fat ugly guys on rushing downs.

Lets not get carried away. He's not that big and fat. He's only 300 lbs, and that is only 3 lbs heavier than Thornton, and is significantly lighter than Peko and S. Smith. I'd also say he has less talent and motivation than any of them. I'd much rather have the rotation we had last year (In other words... I re-sign S. Smith before bringing in Simon).

I looooooooove fat guys. Bring 'em in. See what's left in the tank (with obvious logic included, such as pay, injury, etc...). One, two down guy. Have rotation. Peko and Thornton on passing downs. Big fat ugly guys on rushing downs.

Lets not get carried away. He's not that big and fat. He's only 300 lbs, and that is only 3 lbs heavier than Thornton

John Madden: See this hanging gut that hangs out. That's a football coaches dream. See that turkey leg hanging out of the left tackle's mouth? That's a mentor. Big fat guys have guts. They hang out and if you move that gut in one direction, you're likely seeing the owner of said gut flapping uncontrollably behind. A big fat guy isn't a number or a stat, it's the gut. That's the measure of a man in the NFL! :P

Al Michaels: (giggle) Well John, it's an interesting MIRACLES!!!! perspective. Third-and-nine, the QB drops back and MIRACLES!!! and throws an incomplete pass.

Madden: DID YOU SEE THAT GUT.

Michaels: That's a MIRACLE!

259934.jpg

I re-sign S. Smith before bringing in Simon

Well since we don't have control over that, all I'm suggesting is taking a look. What's the harm in that? I can't believe he'd be costly. He's got little to no value and by mid-summer, he might be looking for a job. So why not take a look?