Bengals on Monday Night Football

denverbengal

Having CP as starter will draw a huge audience in the Southern California area regardless of how well the Bengals are performing. I think that had an influence in determinig whether we got an MNF game or not. I think we definitely would have gotten a Sunday night game based solely on last year's performance, but CP put us over the top.

Probably neither. One of the most talked about events at last months NFL owners' meetings was the point that the owners want to keep smaller market teams in the running !

* Several owners like Dan Snyder,Jerry Jones, etc, have the ability to "buy" a Lombardi Award, Sign all the top free agents, out of pocket i.e. George Steinbrenner, and push smaller market teams like Cincy', Indianapolis, Arizona, and Seattle into bankruptcy.

Paul Tagliabue is the reason why he chose the upstart Cincinnati Bengals to HOST two nationally televised games. Cincy' proved its worth last season by going 8-8. But remember, an early January '03 meeting between the Commissioner and Mike Brown?? PT, basically told Mike Brown, " Improve your team, or we'll take it away from you". !

Why else would they schedule both games IN Cincinnati unless it was for the purpose of increasing the T.V. market..!

I don't know, maybe I'm naive, but I believe there is genuine interest from the country about the Bengals. We make SportsCenter now, we picked up tough games, we've been horrible for so long, we've got the most popular coach as the head coach now, we've also got Chad Johnson, newer stadium, Dillon story, there's a bunch of things we could draw upon. I'm just damned happy we're on, I really don't care how or why personally.

Chris, I think the only thing larger markets have for themselves is their names. They receive more FA pickups because they are, in large part, historic teams in the NFL. Then you have other large market teams whom traditionally do nothing annually. I think the NFL matters in small-large market discussion very little compared to the major four.

I don't know, maybe I'm naive, but I believe there is genuine interest from the country about the Bengals. We make SportsCenter now, we picked up tough games, we've been horrible for so long, we've got the most popular coach as the head coach now, we've also got Chad Johnson, newer stadium, Dillon story, there's a bunch of things we could draw upon. I'm just damned happy we're on, I really don't care how or why personally.

Chris, I think the only thing larger markets have for themselves is their names. They receive more FA pickups because they are, in large part, historic teams in the NFL. Then you have other large market teams whom traditionally do nothing annually. I think the NFL matters in small-large market discussion very little compared to the major four.

This is one of those points that we're going to disagree on Kirk .. again. :D

There is a legitimate concern that the NFL owners situation with their "outragious" luxury box prices could eventually force out the "salary cap" , making larger market NFL teams into "New York Yankees".

ex. 1. ... The City of Cincinnati has a lawsuit against the Bengals over the stadium deal. Basically city funds that should be there are " missing " B) , so the city of Cinti. : inspired by political motive now face a lawsuit to recoup said funds.

ex. 2.. .. The city of Indianapolis simply can't afford a new stadium. Prior city management ran the funds out of town along with jobs etc, so the Colts had to resign Peyton Manning at an ungodly amount to bring an interest to the team for business owners.

ex. 3. .. The Browns (95) , Modell wasn't getting funding from the city nor the promise of a new stadium , so he moved the team !! But after years of paying out of pocket almost bankrupting him personally , he was forced to resell the team, even after relocation and a Super Bowl victory..

It happened to the NHL , too much expansion, outragious salaries, poor city financing - so it's just a matter of time before certain franchises must go the way of " Chock ful 'o Nutz ".

Anyone remember them..??

so it's just a matter of time before certain franchises must go the way of " Chock ful 'o Nutz ".

Anyone remember them..??

Yeah...I'll take Starbuck's thank you very much!

I think the whole problem here, and not with just football, but it seems ANY professional sport at the moment, is the salaries of the players are flatly INSANE!! These admittedly talented men are merely playing a freaking GAME for crissakes.

Their contribution to society in relation to the compensation they recieve is ludicrous, but the owners have no one to blame but themselves! The salaries have to be somehow contained for these sports to continue to prosper and expand into new markets. If I had the answer to this dilemma I certainly wouldn't be working for a living! :wacko:

Man can you beleive it the BENGALS on MONDAY night football... :o When was the last time for that...And man what a schedule, its got to be one of the toughest. :wacko:

Here's an outsiders opinion:

Carson Palmer had nothing to do with this, as my guess is a good 80% of fans don't know Palmer is starting next year. The Bengals are now a legitimate team, and therefore deserve their time in the spotlight. You came in second in the division, went 8-8. The Marvin Lewis story is moderately interesting to most fans, although I would disagree that he is the most popular coach as someone posted above.

Oh, and I wouldn't count on the payback against the Ravens. But, I digress, that is smack for another forum.

WTF??? The Cowboys have 3 Monday Night Games??? You woulda thunk it that the Cowterds won a Super Bowl or something!!!

I'm happy that the Bungles finally got a Monday Night Game--but I'm not really sure why they did. I guess it's because they are starting to generate enough interest across the country for their present "turnaround".

They just better not embarrass themselves like the last Primetime Game or the Bungles will suffer the consequences.

WTF??? The Cowboys have 3 Monday Night Games??? You woulda thunk it that the Cowterds won a Super Bowl or something!!!

I'm happy that the Bungles finally got a Monday Night Game--but I'm not really sure why they did. I guess it's because they are starting to generate enough interest across the country for their present "turnaround".

They just better not embarrass themselves like the last Primetime Game or the Bungles will suffer the consequences.

that falcons game was AWFUL. i remember getting so excited to finally get to watch a bengals game here in nashville. heartbreaking...

Another "WTF" is how did CLEVELAND get 2 Sunday Night Primetime Games??? So their whiny ass D-sized Duracell-throwing fans don't bitch???

I realize that Cleveland has a good fan base, but they SIZ-UCKED LAST YEAR!!!

And this year won't be much better, right Butchie???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Another "WTF" is how did CLEVELAND get 2 Sunday Night Primetime Games??? So their whiny ass D-sized Duracell-throwing fans don't bitch???

I realize that Cleveland has a good fan base, but they SIZ-UCKED LAST YEAR!!!

And this year won't be much better, right Butchie???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

yeah, i can't understand that one at all. they need to get davis out of there.

well my long awaited wish came trueand im tickled. :P by the way,if any of you guys are in bismarck north dakota or passing through during the season,join us at O"Brians sports bar.have reserved table and game on every sunday.we are the outcasts in a barroom full of vikings and packers.good atmosphere and all in fun though. :lol:

WTF???  The Cowboys have 3 Monday Night Games???  You woulda thunk it that the Cowterds won a Super Bowl or something!!!

I'm happy that the Bungles finally got a Monday Night Game--but I'm not really sure why they did.  I guess it's because they are starting to generate enough interest across the country for their present "turnaround".

that falcons game was AWFUL. i remember getting so excited to finally get to watch a bengals game here in nashville. heartbreaking...

...Frerotte's rolling left...he rears back to pass...he switches the ball to his left hand....INTERCEPTED..........thanks Gus, here's the clipboard... :angry:

There are many reasons the Bengals got a Monday Night Game and a Sunday Night Game IN Cincinnati.

MARVIN LEWIS

First, there is the FACT that Marvin Lewis as the head coach of the Bengals has given us instant credibility and interest. After all, despite Bill Parcells winning the NFLs Coach of the Year, in the FAN vote, sponsored by Staples, Marvin Lewis drew 10 times as many votes as Bill Parcells. Now, you are not going to tell me that residents of Cincinnati, one of the smaller markets in the country did that all by themselves.

You also have the fact that Marvin, as a minority coach, is going to get press because he is a minority. Why? Because it's all about perception. This is why the league is being so big on forcing teams to interview minority candidates. Perception. If a great coach like Marvin just happens to be black, they are going to promote him as much as they can so that fans and anti-descrimination community groups see minority coaches in the league. Is this right? Hell no. Should the league be FORCING minority interviews? Hell no. Should minorities be considered as often as caucasian coaches? Not if they are a minority! Why? Because a majority of interviews should be going to the majority of people... MIss that? It's called not using reverse discrimination. In fact, race should not even be MENTIONED regarding interviews. But it is, so, in an attempt to make the league look good they will ride any great minority coach as much as they can.

Finally, you have the fact that Marvin Lewis showed he is turning the Cincinnati Bengals program around. From a decade of 2-14 to 8-8 is a big step. Sure, it was only 6 more games but after a decade of loosing this is a jump. Expectations for his second season are very high.

CHAD JOHNSON

Reason #2 for us getting two prime times this season is the man himself, the man who, on his own, paid the league all last season to showcase his talent. For every fine he received last year, of which there were many, Chad Johnson got national exposure. He is one of the top young receivers in the league, and LOVES to get the fans going. Is he the BEST? We'll find out this season. He IS a fan favorite, and showed what he could do all last season. The league knows he is a rising star and wants to showcase his talent because he is a feel good story instead of a troublemaker like Leon or Sapp.

CLOSE GAMES

Reason 3, our games are close when we win and when we loose. They come down to the fourth quarter. Do you realize that with 2 exceptions EVERY game we played last season was won or lost by a touchdown or less? This makes for good primetime. Why? It keeps people watching the entire game, boosting ratings.

HAMILTON COUNTY VS. NFL/BENGALS

Finally, do you really think the NFL is going to just sit back and let these morons sue them? No. By showcasing Paul Brown Stadium twice on National Prime Time TV, the NFL contaminates any jury pool that the county could muster. Everyone has the chance to see how beautiful this gem that we paid for is. Everyone gets to hear about how it is one of the best stadiums in the country. Everyone gets to hear about the architectural awards it won. Everyone is PROUD of what we have. Suddenly do you really think they are going to say they didn't want it? That they were strongarmed for it? No. They are going to say that this is exactly what they had always wanted, a winning team and a beautiful stadium.

Conclusion:

As you can see, there are so many reasons to showcase Paul Brown Stadium and the Cincinnati Bengals. This is without even getting into feel good stories like the emergence of Peter Warrick and Kelley Washington or the powerful running of Rudi Johnson. The NFL is in a win win situation putting us on the national schedule. Expect us to be the game of the week early in the season against other teams as well. For example, do you really think that the coach of the year game (Parcells vs. Lewis) won't be the game of the week from Paul Brown Stadium?

"HAMILTON COUNTY VS. NFL/BENGALS

Finally, do you really think the NFL is going to just sit back and let these morons sue them? No. By showcasing Paul Brown Stadium twice on National Prime Time TV, the NFL contaminates any jury pool that the county could muster. Everyone has the chance to see how beautiful this gem that we paid for is. Everyone gets to hear about how it is one of the best stadiums in the country. Everyone gets to hear about the architectural awards it won. Everyone is PROUD of what we have. Suddenly do you really think they are going to say they didn't want it? That they were strongarmed for it? No. They are going to say that this is exactly what they had always wanted, a winning team and a beautiful stadium."

That's a joke, right??? I feel I got screwed when I lived in Cincinnati for them putting up those 2 monstrosities!!!

I feel I got screwed because Mike Brown put out an inferior product when he promised that the stadium would help the team win more games.

Obviously, Hamilton County Taxpayers got screwed.

"HAMILTON COUNTY VS. NFL/BENGALS

Finally, do you really think the NFL is going to just sit back and let these morons sue them? No. By showcasing Paul Brown Stadium twice on National Prime Time TV, the NFL contaminates any jury pool that the county could muster. Everyone has the chance to see how beautiful this gem that we paid for is. Everyone gets to hear about how it is one of the best stadiums in the country. Everyone gets to hear about the architectural awards it won. Everyone is PROUD of what we have. Suddenly do you really think they are going to say they didn't want it? That they were strongarmed for it? No. They are going to say that this is exactly what they had always wanted, a winning team and a beautiful stadium."

That's a joke, right??? I feel I got screwed when I lived in Cincinnati for them putting up those 2 monstrosities!!!

I feel I got screwed because Mike Brown put out an inferior product when he promised that the stadium would help the team win more games.

Obviously, Hamilton County Taxpayers got screwed.

Interesting point there Barbarian, but I don't think televising a Cincy game prime time would legally constitute contamination of the jury pool. Not all people like football, or would be watching those games.

HAMILTON COUNTY VS. NFL/BENGALS

Finally, do you really think the NFL is going to just sit back and let these morons sue them? No. By showcasing Paul Brown Stadium twice on National Prime Time TV, the NFL contaminates any jury pool that the county could muster. Everyone has the chance to see how beautiful this gem that we paid for is. Everyone gets to hear about how it is one of the best stadiums in the country. Everyone gets to hear about the architectural awards it won. Everyone is PROUD of what we have. Suddenly do you really think they are going to say they didn't want it? That they were strongarmed for it? No. They are going to say that this is exactly what they had always wanted, a winning team and a beautiful stadium.

This has nothing to do with success of the Bengals anymore. It did at first, but now it's a political game that the inferior democrats keep doing in America. They will continue the lawsuit for an advantage in the race that, "saves the tax payers" money no matter how well the Bengals perform; this is Portunes only major platform issue he thinks he'll find commonality with the voters. Hopefully, the voters see right through his crap!