49ers and bengals talking trade

JonFnKitna

For kitna, just heard from a 49ers fan. He heard it on sports radio in san fran.

I wouldnt do it unless they give a 1st day pick, but lets hope they do.

I think a 3rd would be suitable too. Kitna will not start here anymore, god forbid Palmer gets hurt. While Kitna's stock is as high as ever, I believe you find takers and take what's given. But firstly, I would ask Jon about all of them; we owe him that much.

If no one takes him, then I hope we can sign Jon to a long term deal relieving a little cap room. Of course, only if Jon is cool with that. B)

I don't consider Kitna a great insurance policy. He always seems to take a few games to get his groove. As such, he isn't that great of a backup QB.

I'm not implying "insurance" as in him coming in to relieve Carson if he stumbles. I don't think Marvin would pull him for that. I'm saying in the event that Carson gets rattled (which a young QB in his first starting season is going to experience sometime) he's got someone he trusts and admires to help him transend the bumps and move on. The other less palatible one for me is if Carson...God forbid...is shaken up or injured for ANY lenght of time, we got Jon to step in at the ready and move the offense until Palmer shakes out the cobwebs, or recovers from his injuries. Again, God forbid! B)

you fools need to knock on some heavy duty wood talking like that.

*bonks anyone that has said anything about palmer in the head with a 2X4*

You are absolutely right Chad. I DID knock on wood as I typed that out! I live in a log cabin in the mountains of northern Arizona for crissakes!! It took no reach at all brother! :lol:

The selfish Bengal fan in me wants to hang onto Kitna with both hands.

But the realistic part of me knows that his salary is way too high for a backup and barring an injury of complete meltdown on Palmer's part there's no way he gets back under center. Plus, assuming Carson does succeed, Jon will almost certainly leave next year and we'll get nothing in return. His value is at its peak right now.

And the fair part of me thinks that if someone wants to give Kitna a starting job, after the performance he turned in last year and then losing his job through no fault of his own, we should let him go.

In the end, I suppose it comes down to what the 9ers would be willing to part with. I doubt they give up their first round pick. Their second? I might have to pull the trigger on that...

Well if San Fran offers a first day pick, it won't be a 2nd rounder, and their 3rd rounder # 77 overall is just 3 picks ahead of us !

If the trade rumor is real, I'd have to think we'd have to take that offer, because that would give us 3 3rd round picks, and 2 4th rounders. Any Dillon trade should bring us another 2nd or 3rd rounder, more than enough ammo to deal a pick away from someone.

* another point to be made here is, Which player will we miss most..? Dillon or Kitna..? ^_^

Well if San Fran offers a first day pick, it won't be a 2nd rounder, and their 3rd rounder # 77 overall is just 3 picks ahead of us !

If the trade rumor is real, I'd have to think we'd have to take that offer, because that would give us 3 3rd round picks, and 2 4th rounders.

I don't think I'd take a third. Yes, it gives us more trade bait but there's no guarantee we can find a dance partner. I'd like the 9ers to sweeten that offer a bit, maybe with a lower-round pick (say a 5th or 6th) or perhaps a conditional pick in 05.

On the flip side, I might be willing to sweeten the pot a bit for their second, say by offering Kitna and one of our 4ths.

I'm almost to the point that I think we might be better off getting conditional picks for 05 for Dillon and Kitna. Unless we use those picks to trade up. We would be drafting a lot of good guys in the first four rounds. I'm not sure having that many so-so rookies is a good thing. I would rather trade up for a couple of impact players or push the picks off till next year with possibly higher value.

As it stands right now, we have 9 draft picks. I would like to get another 2nd rounder, but pushing the picks for Dillon and Kitna into next year is a good idea Joisey.

* Now the question becomes, What value do teams attribute to them (Dillon and Kitna) for next year..? Whatever teams they are traded to would have to give up a higher rounded pick I think because we' wouldn't be getting immediate return for them in this years draft.

If we wanted a first day pick for both of them..? Does that mean someone gives up a 1st rounder for Dillon in '05 and a 2nd rounder for Kitna..?? - I doubt it. I think any deals involving the 2 of them would come with day one picks this year, But 11 picks may be too high , so we're gonna need to do some moving around.

But the realistic part of me knows that his salary is way too high for a backup and barring an injury of complete meltdown on Palmer's part there's no way he gets back under center. Plus, assuming Carson does succeed, Jon will almost certainly leave next year and we'll get nothing in return. His value is at its peak right now.

Well said. I couldnt agree more. He makes way to much to remain our backup. Let Carson take his lumps next year and never have to look over this shoulder. If he fails, he fails. Sign Matthews as the backup and get another pick to build the defense.

As it stands right now, we have 9 draft picks. I would like to get another 2nd rounder, but pushing the picks for Dillon and Kitna into next year is a good idea Joisey.

Actually that was Fever's idea, but I agree, it's a good one. Like you, I'd like to get another second this year, and if it cost us one of our thirds or fourths plus a player I wouldn't be too concerned. But if we were to get another, say, second and third straight up...yeah, that's piling things on a bit for one year.

I think my absolute minimum would be conditional 3rd rounders in 05 that could escalate into 1st depending on performance.