bengals.com q&a

skyline

I don't think next season is make-or-break for Lewis. Like the author of the question, I think the real target is 2005/2006. On defense right now, Marvin is in spit-and-baling-wire mode. He continues to flush the old guard out -- but is by and large replacing them with other older vets and underachivers. Examples: Alvin Porter for Jeff Burris, Deltha O'Neal for Artrell Hawkins, Daryl Gardener (reportedly) for Oliver Gibson, bringing in Webster to take over for Hardy, etc. Last year, it was Clemons, James, Hardy and Thornton. Of all these guys, only O'Neal and Thornton are long-term prospects, and only if they step up.

But what this has done is to allow him breathing room. He has a chance to see if he can make something out of guys like Thornton, O'Neal and Webster, and he can bring youngsters like Abdullah and Weathersby along at a reasonable pace. This year, I'm sure he'll use the extra picks to stockpile more defensive depth he can develop.

Next year is when it all starts paying off, hopefully. We have two years worth of Marvin Lewis picks on defense, plus any promising youngsters we take in April '05, and we mix them in with the best of two years' wrth of older vets and (hopefully no longer) underachievers, and...bang! We have a solid D and a defensive foundation for the next 8-10 years.

I don't think next season is make-or-break for Lewis.

i agree entirely. im just talking about how lewis is viewed in the eyes of your typical bengals fan. if you go to all of the message boards, a ton of people seem to be expecting gardener and o'neal to have pro bowl seasons. a ton of fans are saying they expect us to go to the super bowl THIS year due to all of the miraculous offseason signings.

im with you, though. im aiming for 2005-2006.

im with you, though. im aiming for 2005-2006.

I'm to the point I'll take any year I can get!! But I'm so impatient that I'm hoping for this year. I know it's not probable, but it's NOT out of the realm of possible!! B)

Damn, I know his hand's tired.....He's been puching that mofo for about half an hour now.... :blink:

He's gonna keep b***h slappin' him for a few days too. He's PISSED OFF!! :ph34r:

That's why God gave you 2 arms ..... When that one gets tired switch to the other one.

After that .........Kick the sonuvabitch .......... then spit on 'im :ph34r:

" The hand of the Righteous shall never tire and fail thee "

........................... let the people say Amen.

That's why God gave you 2 arms ..... When that one gets tired switch to the other one.

After that .........Kick the sonuvabitch .......... then spit on 'im :ph34r:

" The hand of the Righteous shall never tire and fail thee "

........................... let the people say Amen.

He told me he's gonna eventually rip his heart from his chest and piss on it while he watches it beat it's last beat...THEN he'll be done!!! :ph34r: