Kaesvaharn Re-Signed

Scottishbengal

As reported on Bengals.com KK has signed a three year deal.

I know this player receives an awful lot of stick - is he really that bad a player ? You guys and gals get to see him play week in, week out so is the critisism justified ?? Is this a good signing for thr Bengals?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE; MON., APRIL 12, 2004

FROM CINCINNATI BENGALS PUBLIC RELATIONS

BENGALS SIGN KAESVIHARN

The Bengals today signed FS Kevin Kaesviharn, one of the team’s restricted free agents, to a three-year contract.

Kaesviharn (6-1, 194; Augustana, S.D.) is a fourth-year NFL player in 2004. In three previous Bengals seasons, he has played 42 games (16 starts), with 6 interceptions, 22 passes defensed and 145 tackles. Last season, he played in every game with seven starts, contributing at cornerback as well as safety. He led the 2003 Bengals in total special teams snaps (312), had 1 interception and logged 59 tackles, including a sack.

“Kevin is a versatile player who gives us options because of his ability to play safety or cornerback,” said Bengals defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier. “Last year was his first year with safety as his primary position, and I expect him to take giant steps this year, building on the year’s experience he had.”

Primarily a cornerback in his first two seasons, Kaesviharn tied for the team lead in interceptions in each year, picking off three passes in 2001 and two in 2002.

KK is a good resign for the Bengals. As noted above, he is a versatile player, that gives you depth at the cornerback positions, safety position, and special teams. He is also a character guy which is good for the locker room. Glad to see him back. He's one of those players who's presence will not hurt the roster.

KK is steady.

Well I won't support this move. With the signing of Herring,and Beckett, I still felt that this was an area of need for the draft.

Kevin Kaesviharn has consistently proved to be one of the least athletic secondary men that we have. He's made a few plays here , and there, but to me not enough to warrant a return to the roster.

Any first day pick of a safety utlimately would have meant that KK or MM (Marquand Manuel) would have been replaced. Even if a safety is selected on day 2, it's still very much an option.

He used to teach math.  Maybe Mike Brown lets him double as an accountant to save money.

Eddie G you might be surprised at the number of athletic department folks that try to become math teachers. :blink:

Many of these same folk want to coach high school. Coaching can be very hard to break into, especially in small towns where much of eku's student body originates and local politics are thick.

There is a SERIOUS shortage of math teachers in these same areas.

So a path through math can shorten the trip to their goals. :D

You don't have to be that bright to make it through. What one may lack in smarts can often be compensated for with effort and determination. Plus the shortage means even those with marginal grades will likely find employment. :huh:

He used to teach math.  Maybe Mike Brown lets him double as an accountant to save money.

Eddie G you might be surprised at the number of athletic department folks that try to become math teachers. :blink:

Many of these same folk want to coach high school. Coaching can be very hard to break into, especially in small towns where much of eku's student body originates and local politics are thick.

You don't have to be that bright to make it through. What one may lack in smarts can often be compensated for with effort and determination. Plus the shortage means even those with marginal grades will likely find employment. :huh:

Mat is a numbers nut if you haven't noticed. :D:D

Looks like we will get 3 more years of this...

No we won't, not with the new FieldTurf! Look at those clods of (so-called) turf! It's hard to plant when the ground slides out from under your shoes!

As for K2, I've always liked him, but the bottom line IMHO is that he's a career backup/ST-caliber player who could be easily replaced by any one of a dozen undrafted free agent safeties on the day after the draft. I'm willing to defer to Frazier's judgement that he's ready to make a step up, but if he does I will be surprised.

CHRIS...JOHN.F...CHRIS....JOHN.F....CHRIS....JOHN.F..........YOU GUYS CRACK ME UP.....what the hell are you; wanta be nfl GURU'S....you can't seem to see the up side of anything in this town....KK is a great story. a player, person, who epitomizes the effort, drive and desire to perform. he puts out and covers for others. did you ever stop to think he maybe caught out of position because he was reacting and covering for someone WHO BLEW THEIR coverage assignment? (why was he resigned and others let go) no one is perfect. SO, he may not be the gifted player as you see it; but the guy can play. PS..... just talked to him and he said "Man , damn shame i don't recognize their names as fans." :rolleyes:

im a math teacher :P

im glad they re-signed him. he seems to be a hard worker and a willing backup. versatile players mean a lot for a depth chart.

i heard somewhere that he signed for like 2 mill a season with about a 1.5 mill signing bonus...what was that? oh...its not april fools still? :P

He prolly is gonna make about 500k a year id guess.

Yeah 500k sounds about right. I thought maybe some club came in higher than the 1 year, 619k qualifying offer with the restricted agent period ending Friday.

Being a math teacher and all, he probably got some incentive for interceptions.

Pobably no real effect on the cap, which I have no idea is where now. But a release has got to be coming with O'Neal in and the Gardener money if that's right.

:wacko: