Daryl Gardner a Bengal?

EdwardG

From the

Denver Post

Gardener a Bengal

O'Neal will not be the only former Bronco in Cincinnati this season. The Bengals have reached agreement with defensive tackle Daryl Gardener on a four-year, incentive-laden, $9.3 million contract that will be announced this week.

The Broncos will release Gardener after June 1, at which point he officially will be allowed to sign with the Bengals. Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis was Gardener's defensive coordinator in Washington.

Luv it, luv it, luv it! Low cost, high upside, and plenty of incentives to encourage a guy who's been a turd as often (or more) as he's been good -- just what I wanted to find in my Easter basket!

I think this pushes DT off to round 2 at least, unless someone drops very unexpectedly. BPA just got another boost.

this DT has a lot of baggage back prob. and bar prob. i hope this deal works

i grade this as an f in trying to save face with warren this guy sucks one big back ach

the oneal deal i grade an a+ so what if he fell out with there coach we have one great teacher and he will remember what the pro bowl was like and the team will see a real shut down corner i say he gets 7 int this year

we will move to beat the ravens the raven ohh the raven better look out where here to pluck there feathers and ideas GO MARVIN AND BENGALS :lol:

this DT has a lot of baggage back prob. and bar prob. i hope this deal works 

i grade this as an f in trying to save face with warren this guy sucks one big back ach

Actually, the Gardener-to-Bengals talk had been going on since early in the offseason; he was rumored to be headed to Cincy long before the Sapp fiasco. As to Gardener's injury and attitude problems, that's why it's a heavy incentive deal. If he transforms into a turd, he costs us little and we just dump him and move on (I doubt there's more than $2-3 million in signing bonus in this deal). And Gardener seems to respond well to Marvin Lews; he had one of (if not the) best years of his career under Marvin in DC in 2002 (see http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/player...ats.asp?id=3568 ).

This is a great deal. F? Try A.

now with all that has happened, and if we do indeed sign gardner, then i must change my earlier season predictions from 5-11 or 6-10 to no worse than another 8-8 season, possibly 10-6.

You guy's might wanna save grading and win/loss predictions until AFTER the draft, and to borrow a line from an old classic B.T.O.............................................

................................... Ya' ain't seen NOTHIN' yet!!! B)

with so many good DT in the draft why spend money and playing time for a 31 year old problem child

Among other reasons, because we need more than one DT just to fill the roster. We're down Gibson and Steele. I've no doubt they will grab a DT on day one (I think second round is most likely). So...Gardener and, oh, say, Olshansky vs. Gibson/Steele? Huge, huge upgrade.

yeah man really, stop bitching....Im tired of this, it was similar to what happened during the season with Kitna, people were crying after a bad game that he should be benched for Palmer, but I totally agreed that Palmer should start this season....we've done what we've needed to do, and Gardener was on the tongues of many at this site for a while....He respondedly favorably to Coach Lewis, wants to play for him, so dead the complaints

I give it an A

Hey, waddya know, 8-10 hours after the report breaks R.W. finally comes up with the offical (non) word (from bengals.com):

As for Sunday's media buzz about O'Neal's teammate joining the Bengals, the agent for defensive tackle Darryl Gardener is saying what he told bengals.com last month. Neil Schwartz says Gardener ending up in Cincinnati is likely because of his client's relationship with Lewis, but it can't happen until June 2 when Denver releases him. Schwartz has permission to talk to other teams, but won't comment on his talks with the Bengals except to say that both sides would like to see it. The Bengals are no commenting, most likely until June 2.

If it wasn't true, both sides would have denied it. Especially Schwartz if he's trying to shop Gardener to other teams. Just MHO, of course.

PS: while checking the insiders.com bengals board earlier today, I saw someone say that Lapham had confirmed the deal on 700 this a.m. Anyone hear him?

Edited by JoiseyCat

I don't know why some people is saying we don't need Gardener, we can just get someone in the draft instead. If we want to improve our line we need more than 1 more guy. Anyone watch the Superbowl? The panthers d-line just got worn out trying to pressure Brady because they had no quality depth.

If we can get Gardener and Dockett/Tubbs/Washington in the draft then we can have three quality guys in our d-line rotation. Therefore, we can create more of a rush as our dts won't be worn out. Also the rotation would help not to aggrivate Gardener's back injury.

I don't know why some people is saying we don't need Gardener, we can just get someone in the draft instead. If we want to improve our line we need more than 1 more guy. Anyone watch the Superbowl? The panthers d-line just got worn out trying to pressure Brady because they had no quality depth.

If we can get Gardener and Dockett/Tubbs/Washington in the draft then we can have three quality guys in our d-line rotation. Therefore, we can create more of a rush as our dts won't be worn out. Also the rotation would help not to aggrivate Gardener's back injury.

yeah, Ive also heard rumors about Dockett possibly being converted to DE....

yeah, Ive also heard rumors about Dockett possibly being converted to DE....

Yeah, Dockett wouldnt be a bad DE for us, but i dont think hed be great as a DT on our team. Right now im big on Antwan Odom in the first round.

BTW, i like the Gardener signing, hope it works out for us. Seems like all of our FAs except a couple will be boom or busts. Oneil, Gardener, Webster, could work out great, or their weaknesses could take over.

Odom is a beast. So is Marquise Hill. But if Dockett or Starks are still there at 24, they'd be hard to pass up.

I'm wondering about the Ravens DE Marques Douglas. He's an RA with no compensation attached. He seems solid enough to ante up about $2 million even if it's just to force the Ravens' hand.

But have the Bengals ever got a restricted agent?

with so many good DT in the draft why spend money and playing time for a 31 year old problem child

Among other reasons, because we need more than one DT just to fill the roster. We're down Gibson and Steele. I've no doubt they will grab a DT on day one (I think second round is most likely). So...Gardener and, oh, say, Olshansky vs. Gibson/Steele? Huge, huge upgrade.

This goes with what Chris has been saying about drafting the same positions that you get in free agency, and I agree with you both.

Gardner wouldn't have been my first choice, but I'm sure that Lewis had a very .... candid converstaion with him before bringing him on board. Also, one of Gardners comments was to the affect that he knew the situation that he had put himself into and that the only way he could get back was to play and play hard.

Still given his history and age, it just makes good sense to draft a young guy at the same position.

Apparently, Marvin thinks Gardner is worth the risk. He does have a history of back problems and hopefully his wrist has healed (from a fight at a Ihop). Anyway, we still need to draft

DT as Gardner is a very real risk. A big upgrade over Gibson and Steele. But he has to remain healthy.

if the deal for Gardner does happen then Marvin obviously saw something in him while he was at washington and quality veteran depth is a good thing

but

where we are picking in the first round Randy Starks may be available

(especially if there are no viable RBs available when Dallas picks at 22 and we trade Dillon to move ahead of Seattle) and he could be a long term solution to our run stuffing problems on the D-line

if a scenario like that played out, we could pick up more depth on the D-line in the later rounds and not have to pick Gardner's contract or baggage

all i'm saying is why celebrate a hypothetical June 1st deal when we don't know what are needs will be till after the draft

BTW, i like the Gardener signing, hope it works out for us. Seems like all of our FAs except a couple will be boom or busts. Oneil, Gardener, Webster, could work out great, or their weaknesses could take over.

surely you must agree that our acquisitions are better than the ones we had though.....

If the reports are true, then I think we just showed our hand in the draft ! - Since the Underlined areas of improvement were also Defensive End,Tight End,and a backup tackle for the future, Defensive End looks very much like the option for # 24.

Antwan Odom could be a consistent pro-bowler in our system, but we're still gonna need to draft a DT or 2 . Perhaps , Donnell Washington/ Igor Olshansky in round 2, or Mathias Askew/Igor Olshansky in round 3. - Considering the fact that we already have one developmental prospect in Langston Moore, adding a veteran in Gardner and another developmental prospect in Igor, and Askew would be ideal considering that they don't have a lot of experience yet.

* As to the Dillon trade situation. *there could be an under the table sort of deal going on with Denver. We get Gardner/they get Dillon come June 2nd. ??

If not - Then N.E. and Dallas need to pony up a pick because the first round now looks like the 4 top backs could all go before the 32nd pick.

Please not Igor, i really don't like him. He is produced last year because he was playing next to Junior Siavii and that freed up loads of blockers from him.

Draft Junior. He's the developmental runstuffer we need. We have our athletic pass rusher in JT, we need to stop the run.

Aye Caramba!!! What a horrid signing!!! Another typical Mikey signing!!! This guy is one of the biggest plagues in the NFL!!!

I vaguely remember that he pissed at one team for not flying him 1st class/not picking him up at the airport with a stretch-limo!!! I just wonder how Cheapassed Mikey was able to sign Gardner???

Maybe because Daryl turned off every other team in the NFL besides the Bungles???

And maybe you guys should shutoff the Bungles Super Bowl Bandwagon for another season--the Deltha O'Neil signing wasn't that great. He argued with Shanahan about playing Cornerback when he was playing poorly. He even dressed last year but was listed as a WR instead of a CB. Having a QB that hasn't played a regular season down doesn't bode well either.

All these "great signings" weren't that great. They were slightly above the normal warmbodies that the Bungles Front Office signs every year.