With the 24th pick, the Bengals select...

OK, so we're at 24. Who do we take here? For kicks I went out to the muncher ( http://www.geocities.com/thebrownsfan/NFL2...1teampicks.html ) to see what the consensus is on who'll be around at 24.

(last update 4/7)

TE Ben Troupe

DE Antwan Odom

LB Jonathan Vilma

CB Will Poole

WR Michael Clayton

OT Vernon Carey

All these guys have average draft positions of about 24-26.

Vilma & Poole have been discussed here, and I doubt we take a WR, so: Odom, Troupe, or Carey? From what I've read, both Odom and Troupe would be projects: Odom has potential but is inconsistent, and he needs work defending the run. Troupe is a Florida TE, catches lots of balls and is very good at it, but hasn't been asked to do much blocking. BPA here is Carey, I think. He can play any o-line position and could be our center of the future. Boylhart over at the huddle report has a glowing write-up here:

http://thehuddlereport.com/2004DRAFT/profi...VernonCarey.htm

It seems there are still a lot of options out there at #24... After going through tons of mock drafts (I LOVE THEM), to address our defensive needs, I don't think Starks will be there, I like the looks of Odom and Dockett (Character Issues), but the one I am partial to and some have him going at #24 is Marcus Tubbs out of Texas. The guy is huge and the run stopper we need. Any fatass at this point will make me happy, but this guy has a huge upside. On offense, Carey would be a great fit, as would Grove and either of these would make me smile. Love the trade and the 4th rounder, 3 behind ours. Everyone wanted action, well, you got it !!

WHODEY !!!

If DJ Williams is available at 24.. he should be the consensus pick, any of the Miami linebackers would add instant depth on defense and special teams with their speed. If Carey can play center, I would have to think the Bengals staff would salivate at the chance to upgrade at that position for the future. I would like to have someone who would contribute immediately, but there may not be a defensive tackle available. We'll have to see hot it plays out.

If DJ Williams is available at 24.. he should be the consensus pick, any of the Miami linebackers would add instant depth on defense and special teams with their speed. If Carey can play center, I would have to think the Bengals staff would salivate at the chance to upgrade at that position for the future. I would like to have someone who would contribute immediately, but there may not be a defensive tackle available. We'll have to see hot it plays out.

I disagree. I really think our LB corp is fine with our starters, Ross and Abdullah. We really need to work on our Defensive Line; we've had no additions but lost Gibson, and whose to say what's next with no signings eminent.

Linebackers are no good if they don't have a decent defensive line to hold up the o-line.

[i disagree. I really think our LB corp is fine with our starters, Ross and Abdullah. We really need to work on our Defensive Line; we've had no additions but lost Gibson, and whose to say what's next with no signings eminent.

Linebackers are no good if they don't have a decent defensive line to hold up the o-line. ]

Very True. But unless a Randy Starks or a Vince Wilfork is miraculously still there, you do not want to reach on a guy who's value is at the middle of the secoond round, like a Dwan Edwards or an Igor Olshansky. LB or G is the next best thing for value at the 24th spot. By all means am I for improving the defensive line, I just dont see any prospective value with that pick hanging around.

I really think our LB corp is fine with our starters, Ross and Abdullah. We really need to work on our Defensive Line; we've had no additions but lost Gibson, and whose to say what's next with no signings eminent.

Linebackers are no good if they don't have a decent defensive line to hold up the o-line.

Yup. That said, tho, I'm not sure there's going to be a huge difference between a defensive lineman we'd get at 24 vs. a guy we'd get in the middle of the second.

What I would really like to see the Bengals do now is to take their original 3rd and 4th round picks (or some combo of CD + picks, the exact scenario can be left to everyone's imagination) and trade up into the second. That way we could conceivably get a solid DE (Hill?) and DT in the second. Which in turn frees us up for BPA at 24 (or another trade!).

What I would really like to see the Bengals do now is to take their original 3rd and 4th round picks (or some combo of CD + picks, the exact scenario can be left to everyone's imagination) and trade up into the second. That way we could conceivably get a solid DE (Hill?) and DT in the second. Which in turn frees us up for BPA at 24 (or another trade!).

Yea, I really think the 4th round pick is being used as the setup for the eventual Corey trade.

Very True. But unless a Randy Starks or a Vince Wilfork is miraculously still there, you do not want to reach on a guy who's value is at the middle of the secoond round, like a Dwan Edwards or an Igor Olshansky. LB or G is the next best thing for value at the 24th spot. By all means am I for improving the defensive line, I just dont see any prospective value with that pick hanging around.

Yea, I can see your point.

Yeah, I feel we can take the best guy available (except for QB or WR), and worry about getting a DT in the second round if none we like are available in the first. Shawn Andrews or Vernon Carey would be excellent picks and really sure up the line. Remember, next year is going to be a lot of handing off to Rudi, so a solid o-line is a must, and our depth there is suspect.

Both linebackers from Miami would add some speed and skill to the defense. Gamble could fall to us at 24, and he is a much better pick there than at 17.

One things for sure, # 24 will either be a DT/DE/ or at the least a linebacker.. Karlos Dansby or D.J.Williams..

That was my initial reaction, too. But "upon further review" I've come to think it isn't a sure thing at all. Someone like Carey or even Grove would make a whole lot of sense -- if only because we've got Carson starting, and his success ties directly into the o-line's play. There's also the RT spot to think about. Yes, Willie made the pro bowl but he's going into what, season 8 or 9? We got three TEs where one complete guy could do the job...and what if one of the top RBs falls? And there will be quality DT/DEs avaible in the second.

I think that if they don't somehow produce another second-round pick, defense at 24 is likely but not assured. If they do manage another second-round pick, all bets are off. BPA will come off the board at 24 even if the player is a friggin' QB! :ph34r:

To be Honest with you Joisey... The Tight End position is as much an Enigma as Quantum Physics.

* For too long Cincy' ignored the TE spot and then reached for Schobel in 2002. Tony Stewart just resigned, and Kelly was signed to a 4 year deal last year, so TE might not be a direction in day 1.

As for the Runningbacks... I don't think that Cincy' takes one in rounds 1 or 2. I think Marvin and Co. are secure with Rudi this year and beyond, and who knows how the Dillon trade/or not will affect it. But there will be good value on day 2 for runningbacks.. Mewelde Moore, and Cedric Cobbs ( who runs like Dillon ) could easily come via the 4th round.

I agree with you about W.Andersons' age, but he did restructure his contract which is why Cincy' was still 5.5 million under the Cap before the 'ONeal Signing to a 5 year deal today. Someone like Max Starks ( son of Ross Browner ) could come in round 3, and he's got the talent to start at RT.

i wouldnt mind taking that TE in round 1...man we need a TE that is consistent...but he better be able to block, if he cant block forget what i said. I did see that he can catch though....

I dont mind starks, if hes there take him. I really dont care what we get here as long as its a good pickup and not a dumb one...which im positive marvin wont do.

I could see the Bengals going with either Carey or Andrews....Run Blocking RT's are a premium, and we could use someone like that in our run-happy division...our O-Line would be elite just about...

LT jones

LG steinbach

C goff/grove

RG williams/andrews/carey

RT anderson/andrews/carey

getting Will Poole at the 24th would be nice, but I'll wager that Marvin Lewis will select Jeremy LaSuer in the second round....

yeah, that would look mighty good

hey man, whatever they want to do is fine with me...

To be Honest with you Joisey...  The Tight End position is as much an Enigma as Quantum Physics.

It does seem that way with the Bengals, doesn't it? I agree 100%; they've never figured out what to do with the TE position. It seems to me that they've usually viewed the spot less as an offensive weapon and more as an extra lineman. Given that, the most intriguing prospect at TE for the Bengals -- at least IMHO -- is Arkansas' Jason Peters. (Boylhart's always-amusing-and-informative breakdown here: http://www.thehuddlereport.com/2004DRAFT/p...JasonPeters.htm ). Could be worth a flyer with that 3rd round comp pick of one of the 4ths.

For too long Cincy' ignored the TE spot and then reached for Schobel in 2002. Tony Stewart just resigned, and Kelly was signed to a  4 year deal last year, so TE might not be a direction in day 1.

Schobel a reach? Didn't we trade up to snag him just before the Lions did? I like Schobel a lot, myself. I've always wondered if he couldn't challenge Warrick for the slot WR role. No, let's call a reach a reach: Sean Brewer. Now that was a stupid pick.

As for the Runningbacks... I don't think that Cincy' takes one in rounds 1 or 2. I think Marvin and Co. are secure with Rudi this year and beyond, and who knows how the Dillon trade/or not will affect it. But there will be good value on day 2 for runningbacks.. Mewelde Moore, and Cedric Cobbs ( who runs like Dillon )  could easily come via the 4th round.

Very true. But what do you do if 24 rolls around and Kevin Jones is still there? (OK, I admit it, I know the answer to that: you pick up another 4th round pick by trading with the Pats!)

I agree with you about W.Andersons' age, but he did restructure his contract which is why Cincy' was still 5.5 million under the Cap before the 'ONeal Signing to a 5 year deal today. Someone like Max Starks ( son of Ross Browner ) could come in round 3, and he's got the talent to start at RT.

No doubt good linemen can be found later, that's always true in the draft. But we struck gold with Steinback last year and I think they might be tempted to (try to) repeat that trick and set the o-line for the next decade. I'm a big believer in the games-are-won-in-the-trenches theory, and if you can construct a "fire and forget" o-line you're halfway to the Super Bowl.

A move like this gives the Bengals the ability to go after a player like Darnell Dockett, who is more of a pass rusher, instead of a guy who just occupies blockers. If the secondary is more polished and experienced, that could make shots at the quarterback more available, especially in blitzing situations. But who knows, with under-sized linebackers in the middle you usually dont want to see undersized tackles, but Dockett was a NIGHTMARE at the Senior Bowl, and the Bengals haven't had one of those in the middle since Tim Krumrie...sorry J.T.

To be Honest with you Joisey...  The Tight End position is as much an Enigma as Quantum Physics.

It does seem that way with the Bengals, doesn't it? I agree 100%; they've never figured out what to do with the TE position. It seems to me that they've usually viewed the spot less as an offensive weapon and more as an extra lineman. Given that, the most intriguing prospect at TE for the Bengals -- at least IMHO -- is Arkansas' Jason Peters. (Boylhart's always-amusing-and-informative breakdown here: http://www.thehuddlereport.com/2004DRAFT/p...JasonPeters.htm ). Could be worth a flyer with that 3rd round comp pick of one of the 4ths.

For too long Cincy' ignored the TE spot and then reached for Schobel in 2002. Tony Stewart just resigned, and Kelly was signed to a  4 year deal last year, so TE might not be a direction in day 1.

Schobel a reach? Didn't we trade up to snag him just before the Lions did? I like Schobel a lot, myself. I've always wondered if he couldn't challenge Warrick for the slot WR role. No, let's call a reach a reach: Sean Brewer. Now that was a stupid pick.

As for the Runningbacks... I don't think that Cincy' takes one in rounds 1 or 2. I think Marvin and Co. are secure with Rudi this year and beyond, and who knows how the Dillon trade/or not will affect it. But there will be good value on day 2 for runningbacks.. Mewelde Moore, and Cedric Cobbs ( who runs like Dillon )  could easily come via the 4th round.

Very true. But what do you do if 24 rolls around and Kevin Jones is still there? (OK, I admit it, I know the answer to that: you pick up another 4th round pick by trading with the Pats!)

No doubt good linemen can be found later, that's always true in the draft. But we struck gold with Steinback last year and I think they might be tempted to (try to) repeat that trick and set the o-line for the next decade. I'm a big believer in the games-are-won-in-the-trenches theory, and if you can construct a "fire and forget" o-line you're halfway to the Super Bowl.

Yeah , I do think Schobel was a reach, because he had a 5th round grade, and considering that Marty Morninwheg was the Coach of the Lions at the time only emphasizes my point :lol:

But I agree, Kevin Jones offers more as a trade option there at #24, but I would consider doing this If I was running the Bengal draft. ** If N.E. hasn't picked a RB at # 21, then I could offer Rudi for their # 32 and a 3rd rounder and take Jones myself !!

The extra 1st and 3rd rounder would be huge, or I'd even settle for both N.E. second round picks for Rudi...

* Damn I'm so happy to finally see the Bengals get aggressive for the Draft.. - Finally someone with NUTS and intelligence is running the show. :D

Yea, I really think the 4th round pick is being used as the setup for the eventual Corey trade.

I'm thinking we still haven't seen the best trade the Bengals are gonna make yet in this offseason!

Agreed. Here's some speculation for y'all:

-Corey is traded for a 4th rounder. That leaves us w/ 3 fourth round picks and 2 third round picks

B) ...we package a couple of those to move up to early 3rd or 2nd to grab whatever quality fuitcake is there...BPA.

-We sign Gardner.

-kitna stays after a mild restructure.

After all that we get an "A" for the offseason:

Webster

Herring

Deltha

Gardner

Beckett

Graham

Kitna restructured

Corey gone

and like 10 draft picks most in rounds 1 through 4.

me likey...oh yeah, and this is my first post...so be gentle...uhm, and...WHODEY!!!

and the whole point of that previous post was in regard to who we take at 24...w/ o'neal signed and hopefully gardner...we won't necessarily HAVE to pick by position and that means BPA:

Chris Gamble, (could fall)

Darnell Dockett

Sean Jones

Vilma

Greg Jones

I betcha all the stars aline and we get Gamble.