Rudi is frustrated

Kirkendall

From Bengals.com

“We haven’t crossed that bridge. Not even thinking about it,” Schaffer said (Rudi's agent). “Rudi is frustrated. The Bengals told him at the beginning of the offseason that their top priority was re-signing him and we haven’t received anything from them.”

Keep those grains of salt handy... remember this is from the word of vipers, I mean his agent, not from Rudi himself. My guess is that the Bengals go with the one year tender and risk letting Rudi prove himself over a full year before they offer big bucks. Makes sense unless he's willing to sign incentive laden contract with low salary.

Keep those grains of salt handy... remember this is from the word of vipers, I mean his agent, not from Rudi himself. My guess is that the Bengals go with the one year tender and risk letting Rudi prove himself over a full year before they offer big bucks. Makes sense unless he's willing to sign incentive laden contract with low salary.

....or seeing if they can get any offers for compensation.. I think the Bengals either way are in a position to dictate anything they want.

Typical Mike Brown CRAPO here--another player disgruntled.

Maybe Rudi and his agent have been hanging out at Corey Dillon's too long playing Playstation Deuce???

Another Bengal "Bungle-ized".

This is just another prime example of how the Bungles Front Office don't handle player negotiations well.

Man.

Typical Mike Brown CRAPO here--another player disgruntled.

Maybe Rudi and his agent have been hanging out at Corey Dillon's too long playing Playstation Deuce???

Another Bengal "Bungle-ized".

This is just another prime example of how the Bungles Front Office don't handle player negotiations well.

Man.

I disagree. The Bengals have many options with Rudi, all of which benefit the team. He's a restricted FA, not Unrestricted so the Bengals really have all rights to him as long as another team doesn't chime in.

This is different both in tone and trends with what the Bengals have done in years prior.

Color me unsurprised. I've said all along that Rudy's status won't be settled until Dillon's is. It's just another part of the asinine strategy the Bengals went into free agency with.

I have to disagree with you, kirk (hey, that's never happened before! :)) -- far from being in a position to dictate what they want, the Bengals are losing leverage by the day. If I'm Rudi, I go ahead and sign the tender. That makes me a UFA next year and, if I have a decent season, I can write my own ticket (or it costs the Bengals at least transition money to keep me).

Meanwhile, the team remains stuck in the silly situation of having their backup QB and backup RB making more than their starters, and counting close to $7 million vs. the cap! That damages any trading prospects, because every team expects that at least one (CD) and possibly both will be cut this summer.

Hopefully, the Bengals will come off their second-round-pick demands for Dillon, someone will bite on draft day, and then we can sew up a deal with Rudi well before camp.

I have to disagree with you, kirk (hey, that's never happened before! ) -- far from being in a position to dictate what they want, the Bengals are losing leverage by the day. If I'm Rudi, I go ahead and sign the tender. That makes me a UFA next year and, if I have a decent season, I can write my own ticket (or it costs the Bengals at least transition money to keep me).

Are we getting ready for another Joisey vs. Kirk Epic Battle? Fit the gloves, ding ding. :D

Actually, I can agree there, but I believe Rudi can sign the tendor and then have the Bengals sign him to a long term deal during the season; at least that's gotta be the teams' thought process. And I believe you're right about resolving Dillon.

On the other hand, does Rudi really deserve anything more than the tendor? It's a little riske to sign a guy with one year of quality play. From the teams standpoint, this is good money management and good strategy. But I also understand Rudi's standpoint.

Actually, I can agree there, but I believe Rudi can sign the tendor and then have the Bengals sign him to a long term deal during the season; at least that's gotta be the teams' thought process.

Oh, I'm sure it is. But that's the double-edged sword here. If Rudi signs the tender and performs -- and I think we all hope that he does -- he has no incentive to sign an extension unless the Bengals drop a mega-money deal on the table. And then we're stuck with either tagging him or letting him walk.

If he does poorly, great. We "win." (Read that sarcastically.) Except that means Carson probably broke David Carr's sack record.

Actually, I can agree there, but I believe Rudi can sign the tendor and then have the Bengals sign him to a long term deal during the season; at least that's gotta be the teams' thought process.

Oh, I'm sure it is. But that's the double-edged sword here. If Rudi signs the tender and performs -- and I think we all hope that he does -- he has no incentive to sign an extension unless the Bengals drop a mega-money deal on the table. And then we're stuck with either tagging him or letting him walk.

If he does poorly, great. We "win." (Read that sarcastically.) Except that means Carson probably broke David Carr's sack record.

I'd have to vote to let him go if he thinks he deserves a ton of money. I really like Rudi, but he's only played one good season and the NFL Draft is saturated with running backs each season. I'm sure everything will come into picture; we're probably making too much of this.. imagine that. :lol:

The Bengals have no reason to throw mega bucks Rudi's way at this time. Unless we can get him for a bargain price, why lock in. If he performs as we all hope this year, then we can decide to part with the bucks or Rudi. Sounds like our RUDI chants are going to the guy's head. I look for the Bengals to pickup a quality RB in the draft as leverage and insurance. :D

I'd have to vote to let him go if he thinks he deserves a ton of money.  I really like Rudi, but he's only played one good season and the NFL Draft is saturated with running backs each season.

Well, a couple of points: one, we don't know that he wants a ton of money or not...maybe it would make sense to ask instead of letting the out-of-the-loop web site writer note that he's "frustrated"? :rolleyes: Or is that just me?

Two: Everybody laughed at me last year when I said I agreed with Jon Kitna that he could have a Pro Bowl year. Oops. Not paying Rudi since he had only one good season makes wonderful sense as long as he doesn't have Pro Bowl year, too. I dunno that he will, but I don't think anyone here is hoping he sucks, now, are they?

I look for the Bengals to pickup a quality RB in the draft as leverage and insurance. :D

How does picking up a guy who has never played a down in the NFL serve as leverage or insurance for Rudi?

Bottom line: if the Bengals didn't think Rudi was the guy they shouldn't have put the top tender on him; instead they ought to have put a lesser tender on, encouraging Dallas or Oakland to chase him and thus gotten something in trade while he had value. They didn't. They tapped him as The Man. So (IMHO, of course) Mikey ought to quit phuckin' around. (Which he could do...if he'd move CD...)

why can't more players negotiate their own contracts? :rolleyes:

effcd and agents B)

Because their bulls**t college educations usually preclude this? :blink:

you trying to get me going? :blink:

Most ball players I've come across have been at least fair students. :huh:

There is a lineman in one class currently that might make it as a pro. He's young and starting; 6'5" and lean but solid. Has an A game on exam day. :blink:

Hell no Mat. All I'm saying is the example set by Georgia Techs curriculum for student athletes is a cakewalk for those players. I'm certain that isn't the case 100% of the time. :blink:

I did say "usually". :)

I have to disagree with you, kirk (hey, that's never happened before! ) -- far from being in a position to dictate what they want, the Bengals are losing leverage by the day. If I'm Rudi, I go ahead and sign the tender. That makes me a UFA next year and, if I have a decent season, I can write my own ticket (or it costs the Bengals at least transition money to keep me).

Are we getting ready for another Joisey vs. Kirk Epic Battle? Fit the gloves, ding ding. :D

Actually, I can agree there, but I believe Rudi can sign the tendor and then have the Bengals sign him to a long term deal during the season; at least that's gotta be the teams' thought process. And I believe you're right about resolving Dillon.

On the other hand, does Rudi really deserve anything more than the tendor? It's a little riske to sign a guy with one year of quality play. From the teams standpoint, this is good money management and good strategy. But I also understand Rudi's standpoint.

THIS IS WHAT IVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT THE ***damn KICKER!!!!!!

if i look back and you disagreed with me once about the kicker signing kirk, im gonna have your head!!! :D

effcd and agents B)

There is a lineman in one class currently that might make it as a pro. He's young and starting; 6'5" and lean but solid. Has an A game on exam day. :blink:

i dont know what school/college you went to but most athletes I knew were either half retarded or had others do the work for them. Maybe 5% of athletes are smart.

i dont know what school/college you went to but most athletes I knew were either half retarded or had others do the work for them.  Maybe 5% of athletes are smart.

I must only deal with the five percent then. :(

That's probably true because athletes are normally directed to the path of least resistance and that usually avoids the math department. (the bs you mention?)

Seriously though I only remember one complete athletic failure in class and I think that was the result of a motivation/attitude problem. A semester of ineligibility can cure that.

Additionally, the female athletes that I have encountered have all been at least average. :)

Note: I am usually very critical of the athletic department and I am at EKU, not a power school, but it does have football tradition (IAA titles in '78,'80) with one or two players making a pro team each year.

I do think that the smaller the school the more likely the athlete will have some smarts. :blink:

effcd and agents B)

i dont know what school/college you went to but most athletes I knew were either half retarded or had others do the work for them. Maybe 5% of athletes are smart.

Actually Linemen are usually intellectual. If you look at the NFL historically, both the Dline and Oline have had the smartest players strangely enough. Many attorneys here...

I look for the Bengals to pickup a quality RB in the draft as leverage and insurance. :D

How does picking up a guy who has never played a down in the NFL serve as leverage or insurance for Rudi?

Hopefully, by the time next season rolls around the "draft pick" will have some experience and shows signs of promise. All I'm saying if we dont have any options at RB we will be at the Mercy of Rudi next year when his contract expires. We dont need leverage this year, we already got his butt. I call that both leverage and insurance for next year's negotiations.