Don't know anything about him...

ArmyBengal

Vikings | Walker To Be Released - from www.KFFL.com

Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:15:52 -0800

Bill Williamson, of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings are expected to release CB Denard Walker. The Vikings have tried to trade Walker, but were unable to complete a deal.

http://www.nflplayers.com/players_network/...rk.asp?ID=25019

Not to familiar with him. Comments, suggestions ???

WHODEY !!!

walker is a strong cover-corner but very weak against the run. i've got dozens of diehard viking fans in minneapolis and they all tell me that he'd be a good fit as a bengal. with two big safeties like herring and beckett, we could probably stomach a guy who is a soft, neon-deion type of tacker. plus, he'll be affordable. i say grab him if you can.

Well I'll be the one to disagree here. Denard Walker played his best football when he was with the Titans. Everysince he got the "payday" to go to the Broncos' he's played like a straight up bumn.

--Same thing he did with the Vikings last year. Why Else would they go out to get a Corner whose' 4 inches shorter than him,and who also has fewer career interceptions,and still paid him over 30 million..??

-- We can do better in the draft. But if he signs for the league Min.- I'll take him.

Minnesota's Defense SUCKS!!! Any player that gets cut from that defense, I surely don't want.

Your friends up in Minnesota are telling you that he would fit right in with the Bungles because he's either:

A. An aging player looking to pick-up a paycheck

B. A player that noone else is looking at

we could use him, we need some depth in the corner spot. Even if we get poole or a CB in the first round, we can use James, Poole, Walker, and Weathersby. Better to have more players you can rely on than less.

R.W. ("Royal We") Hobson reports on the site today that there is "reciprocal interest" between the Bengals and Walker. (Which I suppose means that the Bengals asked, "Hey, Denard, you willin' to play for peanuts?" and Denard answered, "Depends. You talking Planters dry-roasted or still-in-shell?" :P )

I agree with chrish that Walker hasn't done much since he got his. The way his passes defensed numbers dropped off when he went West is a real tip-off. That said, if the price is right, I'd sign him. (And by price is right, I mean an incentive-laden deal in which he gets paid for getting his paws on the ball.)

I wouldn't touch Gamble with a 10-foot-pole. He's got bust written all over him. But by all means, let the hype around him continue. All the more chance he gets snagged earlier (by the Jets after today's accident involving CB Jamie Henderson?) and a DE or DT drops to us.

A few thoughts:

1. If you want special teamers, there are plenty of day 2 guys to chase (and frankly I'm not at all thrilled about the idea of a potential "star CB" playing STs).

2. I'm not saying he'll a bust because he's inexperienced, I'm saying he'll bust because he reminds me of Toast (Hawkins, that is). "Gamble" is an accurate name, because he either makes a great play or gets schooled. Could he be coached up? Maybe, who knows? But I'm not interested in finding out.

3. Re Marvin and going to see the workout (assuming Johnson's report is accurate), I don't agree it was Gamble he was looking at. Anyone here seen Rudi's signature on a contract yet? It would not surprise me one bit to see him sign the tender and take his chances on becoming a FA next year. He gets 1,000 - 1,400 yards and he's either franchised by Cincy or the hottest UFA on the block. Either way he makes a fuggin' mint.

Marvin was looking at CLARETT. Kid's young, but you have Rudi, so he can sit this year, or bat cleanup. And if you get him at 17 you can sign him for five years at a reasonable amount; no top-10-RB-pick money involved and if he pans out you have a stud RB cheap.

No, no, no, one thing that has worried me this whole offseason is that RB makes too much damn sense at 17. And Clarett's good performance today isn't helping. I DO NOT want an a RB at 17, our D has too many holes. But the bengals never do listen to anything I say.

A few thoughts:

1. If you want special teamers, there are plenty of day 2 guys to chase (and frankly I'm not at all thrilled about the idea of a potential "star CB" playing STs).

2. I'm not saying he'll a bust because he's inexperienced, I'm saying he'll bust because he reminds me of Toast (Hawkins, that is). "Gamble" is an accurate name, because he either makes a great play or gets schooled. Could he be coached up? Maybe, who knows? But I'm not interested in finding out.

3. Re Marvin and going to see the workout (assuming Johnson's report is accurate), I don't agree it was Gamble he was looking at. Anyone here seen Rudi's signature on a contract yet? It would not surprise me one bit to see him sign the tender and take his chances on becoming a FA next year. He gets 1,000 - 1,400 yards and he's either franchised by Cincy or the hottest UFA on the block. Either way he makes a fuggin' mint.

Marvin was looking at CLARETT. Kid's young, but you have Rudi, so he can sit this year, or bat cleanup. And if you get him at 17 you can sign him for five years at a reasonable amount; no top-10-RB-pick money involved and if he pans out you have a stud RB cheap.

No, no, no, one thing that has worried me this whole offseason is that RB makes too much damn sense at 17. And Clarett's good performance today isn't helping. I DO NOT want an a RB at 17, our D has too many holes. But the bengals never do listen to anything I say.

I think Coach Lewis got a two for one.....but just seeing Coach Lewis at the workout speaks volumes.....personally, we all agree to disagree on who to draft first....but Gamble at 17 is great value, and Ill be VERY happy to get him....I just have a feeling about the guy...

s**t....not that it means a whole lot, but even John Thorton has him pegged to fall to us at 17...I think those workouts are overrated sometimes......and in this case, it works in our favor....Gamble was slated to go as high as 7th to the Browns....(of course those were early) but it shows you what kind of talent the dude has..... Doing KR's Offense and Defense, without getting injured? Cmon now...

He'd be the one I'd want most....but Id also be geeked to get Smith, Wilfork, Harris, etc.....

Im not sure about Starks, we can address DT in the second or third round....

My ideal

1. Gamble

2. Grove

3 a. Tommy Kelley or Sopoaga

3. b. Cobbs

Man, you Ohio State fans are something else...Gamble is not worth a first round pick...He is not ready to start, and he's not even ready to compete for a starting job...He needs to be re-taught how to play Corner (this from the Bengals own d-coordinator) and is at least a year, probably 2 from being able to compete in the NFL...He is slipping down draft boards because teams are realizing this and have stopped being dazzeled by his "potential" If he's there in round 2, he'd be worth the project, but he's just that a project pick and Marvin has said he wants guys to come in and play right away this year...And that' something that Gamble just can't do...

I'm just biting my tongue on the whole Clarett thing...Hell there is a better than average chance that he won't even be able to get drafted....

Ok here's the facts..

1. Most scouts admitted that Chris Gambles' high ranking came because they overhyped him,and that his game film and workouts do NOT merit a high or mid selection in Round 1.

2.The possibility to trade down for any number of reasons is still an option in which we could grab Will Poole, or Derrick Strait.

3.Randy Starks is dropping on most boards, another player that got a lot of hype because he is an underclassman. However I wouldn't be too upset if we grabbed him at # 17, because grabbing Marcus Tubbs..( the supposed new # 3 interior lineman) at 17 would be a reach.

4. Maurice Clarett didn't run any better than any of the top 5 backs.Steven Jackson,Kevin Jones,Chris Perry,Greg Jones, and Michael Turner. Unless N.E. or Denver grabs him towards the end of round 2, he's still a third rounder.

Before I say ANYTHING, I know Clarrett has baggage so to speak, but he also has attitude, and that's a rare commodity in most backs. Corey had it. I think Clarrett has it too, and has the potential to be a premiere back in the league!

(I know I'm gonna take some heat here!! :blink: )

chrish: 1-3 agreed. But on point 4...

4. Maurice Clarett didn't run any better than any of the top 5 backs.Steven Jackson,Kevin Jones,Chris Perry,Greg Jones, and Michael Turner. Unless N.E. or Denver grabs him towards the end of round 2, he's still a third rounder.

...I gotta disagree. Clarett didn't do any worse, either. And all things being equal he's a year younger and for a club with a decent RB and a mid-round pick (like us) he has got to look attractive. If I'm the Bengals, and if I've decided RB is worthy of a first-round pick, he's my guy.

For the record, I don't want him. But he's as legit a pick here as any of the others.