Pete Prisco Released his FA Grades.

Kirkendall

He quotes the Bengals:

Best Move: Not upsetting their salary structure to get Warren Sapp. They made him a fair offer and thought they had him, but he went to the Raiders. Overpaying him would have landed Sapp, but that's where trouble starts.

Worst Move: They paid too much for Nate Webster to be their middle linebacker. He's too small to take the pounding every down.

Overall Grade: C For a team that has cap room, they haven't landed a cover corner, which they need to do. Not enough bang for their many bucks.

Here's the link if you guys want to read on about other teams. http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7198147

OK, lemme get this straight: out best move was not getting someone, and the one guy we got who we all seem to think might make the most difference is our worst move...?

In other words, our best move was doing nothing and our worst move was doing something. Ummm...that's a mighty generous curve Prisco's grading on...

I'm sticking by my F.

A - c- grade is far too generous. ....

We should have been able to land all of our needs in free Agency, so that drafting at those same positions would fortify our depth.

1.cb-----zilch,zero,nada......

2.dt-----zilch,zero,nada......

3.fs/ss---Herring is part 1., where's part 2 at..?

4.og----It's been rumored to be Bobbie Williams and Ruben Brown, in other words----zilch,zero,nada

5.c---resigned Rich Braham---Draft must land one of the top Centers

6.lb---Webster will help, but will have to draft a mlb to make sure.

I think the C is pretty generous as well. I admit tho, I have to agree about Sapp. The 4 for 4 that we offered was right at the top of the limit, and I think the Raiders seriously overpaid.

We did get 1 safety so far and an mlb, so I think an F is a little harsh. Don't like the fact that we can't seem to seal the deal while we got the guy in town though. If the ghost of mikebrown past is still haunting us, it could be in the form of Katie and Troy Brown having to clear everyting with fat daddy before they actually do the deal. One cook too many in the kitchen so to speak.

D for right now.

Could upgrade to C if we get a corner .... the other safety and some line help. At this point tho that would be a hell of a sprint to the finish.

C+ if we get rid of Cancer Dillon in the process.

I still think that we should draft at the same spots we build up through FA...

1.Add at least 2 players to the D.Line.

2.Add a Corner.

3.A Center.

4. A guard

5.linebacker

---basically in that order.. The defensive players always have better value on day 1 of the draft, and can get a backup linebacker or offensive lineman on day 2.

OK, lemme get this straight: out best move was not getting someone, and the one guy we got who we all seem to think might make the most difference is our worst move...?

In other words, our best move was doing nothing and our worst move was doing something. Ummm...that's a mighty generous curve Prisco's grading on...

I'm sticking by my F.

I'm with you Joisey. I think it's not a matter of picking up big name FA players, rather the inability to close any deals on players they've targeted.

I'm sticking by my F.

Have to admit that I hadn't read the article when I made my earlier post. Still sticking with my D, but I thought it was .................. interesting ?? ...... that Prisco gave us a C for not overpaying Sapp and then turns around and gives The California Raiders a B for signing him. :blink: I ..... but you ...... just ............... :blink::blink::blink:

I'm sticking by my F.

Have to admit that I hadn't read the article when I made my earlier post. Still sticking with my D, but I thought it was .................. interesting ?? ...... that Prisco gave us a C for not overpaying Sapp and then turns around and gives The California Raiders a B for signing him. :blink: I ..... but you ...... just ............... :blink::blink::blink:

I think you, Chris, Joisey and myself so far have graded very poor thus far. Any other takers?

For all the abuse heaped on him here, if I was Mike Brown, I'd sell the team to Disney for a ton of money, take my cash, and let Disney move the team to Anaheim, and leave all the crybaby "fans" in Cincinnati looking at an empty stadium and letting them root for the only "local" team left, the Browns!

For all the abuse heaped on him here, if I was Mike Brown, I'd sell the team to Disney for a ton of money, take my cash, and let Disney move the team to Anaheim, and leave all the crybaby "fans" in Cincinnati looking at an empty stadium and letting them root for the only "local" team left, the Browns!

Nah. We leave actions like that, and screwing over their fans to owners like Al "I'll be your pal for now" Davis! The Ultimate Fan stabber! :ph34r:

The return of the "Director of Trash Talkin'" draws oh so near! B)

1. Signing of webster an unknown if he can play every down and start a complete season and mb playoffs.

2. Signing of Herring coming off a injury.

3. Overpaying of our Kicker

4. Not getting any of the named players we have tried to get.

5. The big press conference to change our attitude ended up being a dud with the "B".

Offseason grade so far D-, I give it a D- just cuz i think webster will be better than ross and herring might be better than roman. We have way too many holes and this offseason has been a huge disappointment so far.

Welcome to the board Mr. random or shall we just call you numbnuts? :o

jrandom has been around for a while now and had some pretty good posts. Good insight on Palmer while he was at USC, and a good one about his favorite Bengal as I remember.

This seems to be a little departure from his previous remarks, and everybody's entitled to their opinion. My opinion on the comment is ......... with the amount of abuse we fans have put up with, it'd be a lot more understanding if all of us went to Disneyland and left mike home alone.

If it's the truth ........... then it ain't abuse.

Have to say D to D- myself. Questionable fill at MLB and Herring a question mark as well. If the grade is based on pairing off dead wood then we deserve an upgrade there. Still have to think that MB kept his nose out of it last year and let Lewis build the team the way he wanted too but now these latest transactions (Sapp, Vincent, Taylor, Lynch) and the fact they were nowhere to be found when numerous other needs flew off the table, smells way too much like the MB stench that turns my stomache. Why is it that all these players are worth more to other teams than to us? Since we all know MB is the dumbest GM in football, ( no need to remind anyone of the Akili Smith - New Orleans Draft), I have to assume that other GM's that have actually been to super bowls know what they are doing compared to MB. I say turn the reigns back over to Lewis, let the man do what he wants, get him the players he wants and take a chance. God help us if MB thinks he actually knows something about football. Dont think they invented a smart pill for football.

Humm. Not sure how to respond to this.

RedsFan, I'm sure he has some good posts, but it doesn't matter. This remark has no bearing on the discussion and furthermore he knows nothing about the Bengals. If he knew the crap Bengals fans have gone through the past 13 years, the dismal QBs, drafts, and embarrassing periods on all major sports outlets, he'd know we have every damned right to cry when we want to; it's our party, right?

I guess random is a Raider fan, no not Oakland, but the Jeff Olson variety.

Humm. Not sure how to respond to this.

RedsFan, I'm sure he has some good posts, but it doesn't matter. This remark has no bearing on the discussion and furthermore he knows nothing about the Bengals. If he knew the crap Bengals fans have gone through the past 13 years, the dismal QBs, drafts, and embarrassing periods on all major sports outlets, he'd know we have every damned right to cry when we want to; it's our party, right?

I guess random is a Raider fan, no not Oakland, but the Jeff Olson variety.

Is he an Oakland v1.0, LA v1.0 or Oakland v2.0 Raiders fan??

:lol: You think this is abuse? You haven't been around Bengaldom very long, have you? :lol: Actually, the criticism being leveled at the front office and coaching staff so far this year is modest compared to a couple years ago. Most of the moves the team has made have, in fact, met with general approval. The decision to start Palmer, for example, aroused some comment, but even the most die-hard Kitnaphiles will grudgingly admit the club has little choice -- and that few, if any, Bengals QB draftees have been as well-prepared as Palmer has. The only complaints about the Dillon situation are that they should have dumped his sorry a$$ sooner; no one is arguing he should stay. The release of many starters from last year -- Burris, Toast, Defensive Taunter OG, Goof -- has stirred little controversy and in many cases praise. Nor has the decision to let the young guys, like Weathersby and Webster, duke it out for starting jobs, brought any argument.

What has gotten fans riled up is that the Bengals' strategy for replacing the players cut (however good or awful they were), insuring themselves against some of the new, young players busting (almost certain to happen) and giving the youngsters the best chance to succeed seems to consist of three parts:

1. Wishin': we wish real hard that somebody half-decent at all our positions of need can't find a job so we can sign him here for league minimum.

2. Hopin': we hope all our young, eager players are future pro bowlers, and start playing like it real soon (like September).

3. Prayin': we pray that observers are wrong when they point out things like, the problem at MLB last year wasn't so much Hardy as the d-line, which couldn't stop a little old lady in a walker.

Now, I've got nothing against wishin', hopin', and prayin', but it's no way to build a football team. It's early in the (off)season so far, but I have a bad feeling the season's going end up something like this:

http://www.profootball-reference.com/teams/was1998.htm

They had a 2nd year rookie QB, too, name of Trent Green. Threw for 3,400 yards, 23 TDs to 11 INTs after riding the pine his whole rookie year. Yet the team went 6-10 because they had the worst defense in the NFL.

Those who forget the past...

Hey Joisey, It could be more like Boomer's first year as a starter in '85 .

--Boomer threw for over 3000 yards 27 tds' to only 12 ints'. We had the number 1 or 2 offense , but we couldn't stop anyone at all, and we finished 7-9. A very real possibility.

--However, For some reason, I think we're gonna draft even better this year, and I was extremely happy that 45 out of a possible 56 players showed up for the -- offseason work out regimen.

--Always a good sign that , no matter how many distractions there are , players are still moving forward.