Santonio Holmes Arrested

Steelers' Santonio Holmes arrested for disorderly conduct

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes was arrested for disorderly conduct at a hotel in South Beach, police said Saturday.

Holmes was arrested Friday night. He was released from jail after he signed a promissory note to appear in court to be arraigned, Miami Beach police spokesman Bobby Hernandez said.

The events leading to Holmes' arrest weren't released by police.

Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said he didn't know about the arrest and couldn't immediately comment on it. Holmes was the Steelers' first-round pick in April out of Ohio State.

It doesn't look like anything major, but it still isn't anything good.

UPDATE!!!

Steelers top pick Holmes arrested

Miami police cite disorderly conduct

Sunday, May 28, 2006

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Santonio Holmes, the Steelers' No. 1 draft choice, was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct in the South Beach area of Miami Beach early yesterday morning, a charge his mother contends is a case of mistaken identity because she said her son is in Columbus, Ohio.

But, Miami Beach police spokesman Bobby Hernandez said it is no mistake. Holmes, a wide receiver from Ohio State and the 25th overall pick in the NFL draft, disrupted traffic and was verbally abusive to a police officer outside a South Beach hotel on Collins Avenue at 3:30 a.m.yesterday.

"We got a positive I.D.," Hernandez said.

Holmes was released from jail and did not have to post bail after signing a promissory note to appear in court when he is served a subpoena. Hernandez said police have to positively identify a person before they will release him on a promissory note. That is how they know the person they arrested was Holmes.

But Patricia Brown, Holmes' mother who lives in Belle Glade, Fla., said her son is in Columbus, where he is attending school, and has not been home since her May 5 birthday. Belle Glade is approximately two hours north of South Beach.

"That's news to me," Brown said when told of the arrest. "I talked to him yesterday. He's in Ohio."

Holmes did not return a message left on his cell phone.

Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said, "We don't have any comment on it because we don't have any information on it."

According to the police report, Holmes was observed walking in the middle of Collins Avenue in a trendy area of South Beach littered with outdoor bars and restaurants. When traffic became disrupted and came to a standstill, a police officer told Holmes to "get out of the street." According to the report, Holmes "said several offensive words" to the police officer and was arrested.

"He was verbally abusive with the police officer," Hernandez said.

Hernandez said Holmes did not appear drunk and was not cited for public intoxication. No date has been set for the hearing.

Holmes attended the Steelers' minicamp two weeks ago, but he is not allowed to take part in the coaching and voluntary workout sessions because of an NFL rule that prohibits underclassmen from joining their team until either he or his class graduates.

Definitely not anything major......Just a 20 year old kid having some fun in South Beach

:weightlift::flex: He should be in Pittsburgh, staying in shape, trying to make the team instead of snaking around looking for strange on South Beach. :drunk::boff: (And yes I know he is not allowed to workout until his class graduates)

But then he even lied to his mother..... :cry::weep: telling her he was in Ohio. And he told the cops he was in Florida to see his two children. They must have been in the middle of the street on South Beach at 3:30 am.

Wow, what a role model. :shocking::no:

This guy has a knack for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. In 2003, at 3 a.m. after a win over Purdue and six days before the Michigan game, wide receiver Santonio Holmes and quarterback Troy Smith are charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct after a fight in a parking lot on campus. A window in a car is kicked out and one woman reported her jaw was broken. Holmes is held out of the starting lineup at Michigan but returns to play most of the game. Holmes also started in the Buckeyes' Fiesta Bowl game. He pleads innocent to the disorderly conduct after the team returns to Columbus. The disorderly conduct charge is dismissed against Holmes on March 30, 2004. Smith is found guilty of the charge.

It's nothing big, it's just disorderly conduct. It's not like he was waving a gun around in a crowd of people....
Yeah, SH is a model citizen. :rolleyes:

I never said he was a model citizen. What I said was that this is no big deal, it's just a disorderly conduct arrest. You can get that for walking out of a bar and laughing too loudly. 557 people were arrested in South Beach over the weekend, Santonio happened to be one of them. Gilbert Arenas from the Washington Wizards was another one who happened to get arrested down there over the weekend. And he's probably the most well-manered & best behaved NBA player in the league....Stuff happens, not a big deal

Quite obviously, I and every other Bengals fan, are only too happy to get to look at a rival's WR corps. getting arrested rather than our own for a change. That aside, I believe the best way to keep discipline on any NFL roster at the current time is to simply keep your entire team the f**k outta Florida. What is going on down there? It's like NFL spring break all year round.

And no, I don't think the Holmes thing is a real big deal. Not sure why he decided to go all "Martin Lawrence" in the middle of the street, but I doubt it will come to anything.

It's nothing big, it's just disorderly conduct. It's not like he was waving a gun around in a crowd of people....
Yeah, SH is a model citizen. :rolleyes:

I never said he was a model citizen. What I said was that this is no big deal, it's just a disorderly conduct arrest. You can get that for walking out of a bar and laughing too loudly. 557 people were arrested in South Beach over the weekend, Santonio happened to be one of them. Gilbert Arenas from the Washington Wizards was another one who happened to get arrested down there over the weekend. And he's probably the most well-manered & best behaved NBA player in the league....Stuff happens, not a big deal

Call me old fashioned but a.) stay home or b.) get in before 2am and this kind of s**t probably doesn't happen. But yeah it's just a 'lil thing. :wacko:

Yeah, it's no big deal, but it sure as hell is funny when it happens to another team and their fans play it down. Chris Henry is an idiot, but I'd love to see him get another opportunity to play. Seeing these issues out of Pittsburgh just makes me laugh.

WHODEY !!!