AFC North picks

andybren

The Steelers replaced Randle El, Chris Hope and added an additional WR. Interesting that they also took a developmental QB in the second round. They traded picks to move up to get Santonio Holmes, but they still have a bunch to spare. No replacement for Bettis yet.

The Ravens took Ngata, who doesn't really impress me. They took a center but no QB :sure: . Replaced Deion Sanders with a 3rd round CB who doesn't seem to be ranked very high by the "experts".

The Browns go defensive with the first two picks, DE and ILB. Romeo's drafting how I think most people expected Marvin to draft early on. 3rd rounder is a possession receiver who probably would've given Ohalete trouble -- not fast, but good after the catch. I'm not worried.

The Ravens not picking a QB on day one sort of surprised me. Especially with Anthony Wright coming here to Cincinnati and leaving them with just Boller, and Brian St. Pierre from Boston College. He was originally drafted by the Steelers in the 5th round (163rd overall) of the 2003 NFL Draft.

I don't know what happened to the Derek Anderson, the QB out of Oregon State, and who they drafted in the 6th round (213th) in last years draft. He must not have made it through camp! That's okay though. It does not mean Billick is no less a "genius" as he was before.

none of the afc norths picks are going to have that much of a impact right away . but as much as i hate it holmes is the best pick by any of our divisional teams.

I disagree. I don't think he'll be as effective as Randle El was, as a returner or a receiver. I was never all that impressed with him at Ohio State either. He looks like a Santana Moss kinda guy with less football speed. I'd say the Browns have done the best so far among our AFCN rivals, but if I'm wrong about Santonio, that'll be the Steelers instead.

Steelers took another QB. I'm guessing one of these guys is converted to WR/ST ala Randle El.

2nd round Tarvais Jackson:

BIO: Second-team All-Conference selection who totaled 60.9%/2,941/29/5 as a senior.

POSITIVES: Athletic passer who took his game to another level last year. Displays improved field sense, has a strong arm and drives the ball into targets. Puts air under corner patterns and lets receivers run to the ball. Does not force passes into coverage and displays toughness running with the ball. Escapes the rush and loses nothing throwing on the move.

NEGATIVES: Erratic with his accuracy and usually high off the mark or behind receivers. Shaky under pressure, rarely sets his feet and takes off out of the pocket too quickly.

ANALYSIS: A developmental prospect who could be stashed on a practice squad, Jackson still needs a season or two to complete his game.

5th round Omar Jacobs:

BIO: Two-year starter named MAC Offensive Player of the Year as a sophomore after numbers of 69.9%/4,002/41/4. All-Conference selection last season after struggling through much of the campaign with a shoulder injury. Posted 60.7%/2,591/26/7.

POSITIVES: Ultra-productive collegiate passer with potential for the next level. Poised in the pocket, finds the open wideout and places throws where only his receivers can make the reception. Goes to secondary targets and possesses a quick, explosive release. Accurate in the short and intermediate field. Has a powerful arm and effortlessly drives the ball downfield. Possesses a good sense of timing, hitting receivers as they leave their breaks. Picks up yardage with his legs when things break down.

NEGATIVES: Struggled as a junior in reading defenses and tossing the ball into coverage. His throws lack touch. Shuffles his feet in the pocket. Has a low trajectory, throwing the ball through his ear at times. Rarely took a snap behind center.

ANALYSIS: A system quarterback, Jacobs made a poor choice entering the draft after his junior campaign. Far from polished, he has the physical skills to play in the NFL but must learn a pro-style offense.

PROJECTION: Mid Fifth Round

The Ravens not picking a QB on day one sort of surprised me. Especially with Anthony Wright coming here to Cincinnati and leaving them with just Boller, and Brian St. Pierre from Boston College. He was originally drafted by the Steelers in the 5th round (163rd overall) of the 2003 NFL Draft.

I don't know what happened to the Derek Anderson, the QB out of Oregon State, and who they drafted in the 6th round (213th) in last years draft. He must not have made it through camp! That's okay though. It does not mean Billick is no less a "genius" as he was before.

Derek Anderson was our third string quarterback last year, I think he was on their practice squad for a while and we picked him up.. I'm not sure though really.

2nd round Tarvais Jackson:

I thought Minnesota traded for Pittsburgh's pick in the 2nd, and they took T. Jackson? Could be mistaken.

No, you're right TDB, Minnesota took him in the second. I was wondering the same thing too.

Ratbirds did all right.....Maybe 3 starters in Ngata, Chester and Landry plus their 3rd WR in Demetrius Williams and the primary nickel back in Pittman. But other than Demetrius, not much of an upgrade overall from last year.

Steelers filled holes well with Holmes at WR for Randle-El, Anthony Smith for Chris Hope, Willie Reid in the return game and some decent backups. Cedric Humes runs too high with no where near enough power to be seriously considered as a New Bus, though.

Sorry to say, but it looks like Romeo and Savage did really well: Wimbley, D'Qwell and Leon Williams at LB spots? That 3-4 just got real good real fast. And Travis Wilson probably starts early at WR. Babatunde might prove to be a great late pick for them as a pass rushing nose or DE. He's got some seriously long arms to make up for getting pushed off the line.

But the Bengals draft was best IMO because they didn't have to draft for immediate starters or high impact package positions and could get the best depth early in their future starters Joseph and Whitworth. The rest of the picks may turn out to be backups with short careers but CB and RT ought to be secured for awhile and those 2 were the positions of aging vets. Plus it's kinda exciting to see what will happen with Reggie McNeal.

Going back and looking at each team and their picks, I'd say all AFC North teams did average across the board in the draft.

I don't think you can find more than 3 names (at most) that you are overwhelmed by on any AFCN teams draft sheet. I'm happy with our draft in comparison to what the other AFCN teams drafted, nothing more.

WHODEY !!!