Bengals best ever Free Agent signings

Scottishbengal

With all the talk of Warren Sapp et al doing the rounds, who in the opinion of YOU - the humble Bengals' fan, do you consider as the best FA signing the team have ever made. ?

Off the top of my head I would have to say Richmond Webb. Big name, tho in the twilight of his career, signed for fair money and instantly solidified the LT spot long enough to draft and bring along (and teach!) Levi. You cannot underestimate that...remember, we have a young left tackle who got to learn the trade at the feet of a Pro Bowler. And LT may well be the toughest position to play short of QB on the team.

That's a signing that will pay dividends for the next 8-10 years.

Off the top of my head I would have to say Richmond Webb. Big name, tho in the twilight of his career, signed for fair money and instantly solidified the LT spot long enough to draft and bring along (and teach!) Levi. You cannot underestimate that...remember, we have a young left tackle who got to learn the trade at the feet of a Pro Bowler. And LT may well be the toughest position to play short of QB on the team.

Joisey, that's a great view. I have to say your suggestion is at least in the top 3.

And isn't that an extra that players like Warren Sapp could bring to the side for his $4M per year ? Surely the "intangible" of what an experienced pro can give to the rookies has to be worth something (some $$$$$) , apart from what they bring to the team on match days.

To the original question - it is obviusly either The Big O or Ambrose - I would go w/ The Big O, because Gibson was signed for very favorable numbers when compared to the production he gave us...

Im torn between oliver gibson, michael westbrooke, Neil O'donnel, and gus ferotte

Don't forget Michael Bankston and Eric Ogabu (sp?) .... I almost did. And Paul Justin too...

BTW... I think Brooks was traded for Pete Johnson in 1984(?). I think Pete was suspended for drugs in 1983 so that put him on the outs with PB and he was gone the next year. I'm not exactly sure but I think that Brooks is in the top 10 in all purpose yardage all time. Too bad he doesn't get more consideration as one of the top backs of his era. A few more playoff appearances and some national exposure would've helped. Plus you gotta love a guy that would spike the ball in Clay Matthews face after scoring a touchdown against the Browns. :lol:

With all the talk of Warren Sapp et al doing the rounds, who in the opinion of YOU - the humble Bengals' fan, do you consider as the best FA signing the team have ever made. ?

Marvin Lewis.

I completely agree with that. No other signing comes close.

Also, for the people that said Ashley Ambrose...I'm pretty sure he came via a trade with Indy.