Eric Henderson...

WretchedOne

Ok,

I've been pimping Eric for a long time now, and honestly, when I make a mock I try to find a better DE prospect just to change it up a little, but I simply can't find anyone who is in the same leauge as Eric in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

Eric -

It's really hard for me not to love Eric on Day 1 even with his injuries. Even with those injures (he missed 7 games in 2004 & 2005 combined) Eric simply has produced on the field. Some might think I'm crazy, but in terms of production alone, Eric is the #3 DE in this draft behind Mario and Tamba.

Eric was the 3rd most producing DE in this class while also missing the most amout of time/games of any DE in this class for 2006. Imagine if he had been able to stay healthy... The other thing is, Eric's injuries have really not been anything serious, he's had small injuires that kept him out 3-4 games. Eric has also had his injuries early in the season and was able to come back full force in both 2004 and 2005.

Another thing about Eric that people must know, is that in 2004 Eric spent most of time from his DE spot, dropping back into coverage. That is why is sack total for that season is so low. What some might see as "dropping off" should really be seen as "gaining great experience" in regards to his 2004 season.

In 2003 and 2005 when asked to rush the passer, Eric had almost a 1.00 sack/game average against TNC in the ACC.

Eric is also not one of these "tweeners" that seem to be making up the DE class this year and thats another reason I'm so high on him, we need a DE, who STAYS at DE. Eric is the pefect height/weight for a RDE in the NFL.

Eric also has a lot of pass-rushing moves, almost none of the other DE prospects have as many moves as Eric does and that will only make him a better NFL player. Eric will not have to come into the NFL and take time to learn how to use his hands, he already knows, so that gives him an extra advantage in my book.

IMO, it's better to take a great player who has produced in college but has been injured than a player who has produced and has character issues. If I remember correctly, Anthony Munoz had a rather injury riddled college career, and what did he become?

But then the problems come into play....

Eric participated in the E/W Shrine game and I've seen mixed reports on his performance. Some said he showed really well, some say he did not stand out. Anyone who maybe watched that game and remembers could provide a little info.

Then Eric was reportedly working out with a combine coach to prepare for the event in Indy.

But then, when combine time came, I simply could not find any numbers from him which would lead one to assume that he did not participate in drills. The only thing I can find combine wise is his ht/wt and that he did 30 bench reps, other than that, just nothing.

I though I would be able to once and for all silence my critics with his Pro Day, but when I looked it up it he was measued for ht/wt, did 28 reps and "stood on everything else he did at the combine"

HOW CAN YOU STAND ON SOMETHING YOU DIDN'T EVEN DO?????

See why I'm confused?

What also confuses me is that if Eric has gotten some kind of injury, his stock would have absolutely PLUMMETED and that SOME KIND of information would be available saying that he injured himself and dropped his stock and blah blah blah.

But no, through all this Eric has been a consistant 3rd round prospect since early Feb.

THE ONLY thing that I can really think of that happened with him, is that he had to have some kind of small surgery. Something like a knee scope or that and was not able to participate. Not because he was injured, but because he had just come out of surgery.

I just wish I could get a straight answer cause I really think that Eric has Pro-Bowl and Marvin Lewis written ALL OVER him.

He looks to me like he could be a solid mid round pick, but also as one of those players that gets picked up in the late first or early second out of nowhere. I hope the Bengals don't do that with him though, as there could be better options that early. As a 3rd or 4th rounder? Certainly.

TJ -

Eric height is not really that much of an issue. He's 6-2.

Robert G. is playing RDE @ 6-2, there are some other notable NFL DEs also around his height.

TBD -

Eric, if healthy would have been a choice to probably go in the 1st round. I'm not kidding. He's a sack MASTER who has an amazing array of pass rush moves. If we got Eric in the 4th or 5th that would be the biggest steal EVER.

IMO, If Eric can stay healthy, he can develop into a Pro-Bowl caliber player.

More like 6' 1.5"...but that's splitting hairs

6'2" is on the short end for DE's, regardless of whether you agree or not. The preference is for tall fellows with long arms (for reaching the qb and/or knocking down passes)

Also, what I am trying to say is that the height, plus the fact that he failed to do anything to gain attention at the Combine or on his pro day, plus the injury history, will drop him.

My understanding is that his 40 is also on the slow side for his size

Now....all that said, I still like the guy, and hope we do draft him, but no earlier than r4.

I don't think there is some "prototype" for a NFL DE.

Robert Mathis is 6-2/235 and playing LDE, going against 340 pound Olineman and has produced 10 + sacks in 04 and 05.

The thing with the shorter guys is they need to have upper body strength and a number of pass rush moves, if they have that they can be good. Eric did 30 combine reps and it's widely known that he may have the most pass rush moves of any DE in this draft.

40 times are insignificat to me, Eric is NEVER going to run 40 yards in a straight line to make a play, so why should a 40 time really hold so much weight?

As long as he has a nice burst off the snap, thats all he really needs.

Eric will also STAY a DE in the NFL, I'm pretty tired of reading about how we need ANOTHER DE/LB Tweener.

Robert Mathis is 6-2/235 and playing LDE, going against 340 pound Olineman and has produced 10 + sacks in 04 and 05.

I doubt he does that without Freeney on the other end.

The thing with the shorter guys is they need to have upper body strength and a number of pass rush moves, if they have that they can be good. Eric did 30 combine reps and it's widely known that he may have the most pass rush moves of any DE in this draft.

This may be ignorant of me, but something just seems dumb about quantifying the number of "moves" a player has in his arsenal when rushing the passer.

Eric will also STAY a DE in the NFL, I'm pretty tired of reading about how we need ANOTHER DE/LB Tweener.

This I certainly agree with. I do not want Lawson or Wimbley at all.

• 3 weeks later...