DT --> Position of NEED

ArmyBengal

http://nfl.com/draft/story/9323099

I see this as a huge need that we have to address, just like we have been saying for how long now ??

I can't believe Carucci didn't have Bunkley in the top 5 at the position. To tell you the truth, I will be happy with just about any of these guys, but think someone will be there in the 2nd, unless "The Bunk" should miraculously fall to us at #24. Don't tell me "won't happen", just let me live the dream and continue to hope for another month.

WHODEY !!!

This is a joke!

Gabe Watson #2? Gabe Watson is lazy. He may have the 2nd most talent at the position in the draft, but he's not the 2nd best choice because he plays when he wants to.

Wroten? TO FREAKING SMALL AND WEAK. Not strong enough for DT in the NFL. He will end up an end somewhere.

:unsure:

Says who? You? No offense, but I'll put my faith in the scouts.

Regarding the lazy and too small & weak statements, let's not forget that people said the same exact same things about Julius Peppers and Dwight Freeney. One was "too small." The other 'only played when he wanted to." Now what? They're two of the best defensive ends in the league.

Let's also not forget that according to some people, Tom Brady was "too lanky and slow," Carson Pamer "wasn't a leader" and only had "adequate arm strength," and Ryan Leaf was a "can't miss" prospect.

Besides, if you take a minute to think about it, what does Sam Adams bring to the table that Gabe Watson doesn't? Experience? A bigger belly? Personally, I'd rather see Watson in The Stripes than Adams. Maybe I'm crazy....

This is a joke!

Gabe Watson #2? Gabe Watson is lazy. He may have the 2nd most talent at the position in the draft, but he's not the 2nd best choice because he plays when he wants to.

Wroten? TO FREAKING SMALL AND WEAK. Not strong enough for DT in the NFL. He will end up an end somewhere.

Regarding the lazy and too small & weak statements, let's not forget that people said the same exact same things about Julius Peppers and Dwight Freeney. One was "too small." The other 'only played when he wanted to." Now what? They're two of the best defensive ends in the league.

Let's also not forget that according to some people, Tom Brady was "too lanky and slow," Carson Pamer "wasn't a leader" and only had "adequate arm strength," and Ryan Leaf was a "can't miss" prospect.

Besides, if you take a minute to think about it, what does Sam Adams bring to the table that Gabe Watson doesn't? Experience? A bigger belly? Personally, I'd rather see Watson in The Stripes than Adams. Maybe I'm crazy....

Amen Brotha...they also said not to expect much out of LaDainian Tomlinson, that he wouldn't be a franchise back. Ugh I think they were proven way wrong.

This is a joke!

Well, the scouts you're putting your faith in are the very ones who said those things about the players you mention, so I'm not sure what to make of that. I'd agree, in the end, that the scouts aren't the ones to measure motivation. I'm more concerned that his *coach* benched him for lack of motivation.

But he does seem to have the skills and size.

The last thing this team should do is expend a first round draft pick on an unmotivated albeit talented DT from Michigan. We already have one of those:Matthias Askew.

The last thing this team should do is expend a first round draft pick on an unmotivated albeit talented DT from Michigan. We already have one of those:Matthias Askew.

Matthias wasn't a first round pick, and he wasn't projected as such by anyone. Watson is. Every year, DT prospects are labeled with this problem, and most of the time it is overstated. Is that the case with Watson? We'll see I suppose. I wouldn't object to picking him.

This is a joke!

I agree 100%. I'll put my faith in the scouts too, not in the fool who wrote this article.

Well, the scouts you're putting your faith in are the very ones who said those things about the players you mention, so I'm not sure what to make of that. I'd agree, in the end, that the scouts aren't the ones to measure motivation. I'm more concerned that his *coach* benched him for lack of motivation.

But he does seem to have the skills and size.

I meant the Bengals scouts...not the so-called "experts."

PS: The coach who benched him was Lloyd "I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground" Carr.

pluse he was an msu guy not an mu guy

I for one am glad to see someone laying off the Bunkley kool-aid. He wasn't a top five DT prospect a month and a half ago, and I am not one to trust the combine THAT much.

Bunkley was well thought-of even before the combine. If you go back and look at the "Big Board" thread I've been doing on the draft board, you can see he was right with the pack in the first one, done Jan. 29:

DT Rodrique Wright 8

DT Gabe Watson 6

DT Claude Wroten 3

DT Brodrick Bunkley 2

DT Orien Harris 2

DT Jesse Mahelona 1

A week later he had doubled his votes and jumped into the No. 3 slot.

He has certainly taken a leap since the combine and his recent pro day, but he did a bang-up job at both, so you can hardly drop him for that, can you? And how much have you heard about the others listed there? I'm not even sure Wright is still alive, he's fallen so far off the radar screen.

On a related but completely different subject I caught this buried at the bottom of Hobson's latest:

Angelo Wright, the agent for defensive tackles Sam Adams and Grady Jackson, said he hasn’t talked to the Bengals lately. Adams still has interest in the Bengals, but Wright said. “The longer the pretty girl is at the bus stop, the prettier she gets.’

:blink: Wow. That's the first time I think I've ever heard anyone compare Sam Adams to a pretty girl...

Wright really needs to get out more. :lol:

On a related but completely different subject I caught this buried at the bottom of Hobson's latest:
Angelo Wright, the agent for defensive tackles Sam Adams and Grady Jackson, said he hasn’t talked to the Bengals lately. Adams still has interest in the Bengals, but Wright said. “The longer the pretty girl is at the bus stop, the prettier she gets.’

:blink: Wow. That's the first time I think I've ever heard anyone compare Sam Adams to a pretty girl...

Wright really needs to get out more. :lol:

Are Adams/Jackson the pretty girl, or are the Bengals the pretty girl?

Are Adams/Jackson the pretty girl, or are the Bengals the pretty girl?

Adams is the girl. Bengals are just driving the bus around and around the block to see what's left at 3:30 a.m. Can't ya just see Sam in a blonde wig, a pair of pink short shorts and a "Hooters" t-shirt just covering his man-boobs? :lol:

Really...that's a thought...sign him and run him out on the field in a tiger-striped bikini. I can see it now...

Brad Johanson: It's fourth and inches at the Bengals 35. Looks like the Browns are going to line up to go for it.

Dave Lapham: Oh, God, here come Big Sam Adams out on the field again. I can't even look; the sight of that thong earlier will haunt me until I die.

Brad: Sam is lining up over center...he's breathing heavy and those man-boobs are bouncing around...

Dave: That's not right.

Brad: And there's a flag...false start on the Browns. LeCharles Bentley threw up again. That'll push 'em back and force a punt!

I'm picturing Mike Brown wearing a "No Fat Chicks" T-shirt.

Everything is pointing to the Bengal ship having sailed again...leaving Adams on the dock.

Yup. Tho if he's still there sleeping under newspapers at the bus stop in May they may thow a few dimes at him.

DT is going to be tough to guage. I think Bunkley will be gone by the time the Bengals pick so it doesn't even seem like its worth going on about him. I loved what I saw out of him in the combine, he's an impressive specimen with the potential to get stronger :blink: with an NFL training program. He was productive in a big time program and he seems to have a great work ethic. Those are 2 characteristics you want out of any player you pick, and if you don't get that kind of feel from Watson, then pass on him.

I agree with the Bengalszone mock draft and snag Whitner if he's there and Bunkley isn't...I can't remember the name of the OSU DT...but he didn't look bad at the combine and could be an excellent pick up later in the day.

Sam Adams, last choice but maybe not the worst choice.

I'm all for drafting Watson....

IF HE IS THERE IN THE SECOND ROUND! Don't waste a first round draft pick on a guy with a motorhome body and a volkswagon motor.

Either get Pope Round 1 and Watson Round 2, or Bunkley Round 1 and K.O. Simpson or another Safety Round 2. (Then draft Fasano Round 3).

:cheers:

This draft is way too deep in DT's for a guy like Marvin to take one in the first round. We are drafting for the future and will get a punch you in the mouth safety or DE, maybe even LB.

I think there is zero chance we take a DT in the first...probably not until the 3rd, but the 2nd wouldn't be all that surprising. The same is true for TE's. Marvin has been waiting for a draft like this one...deep in 2-3 of the positions we need the most.

This draft is way too deep in DT's for a guy like Marvin to take one in the first round. We are drafting for the future and will get a punch you in the mouth safety or DE, maybe even LB.

I think there is zero chance we take a DT in the first...probably not until the 3rd, but the 2nd wouldn't be all that surprising. The same is true for TE's. Marvin has been waiting for a draft like this one...deep in 2-3 of the positions we need the most.

Big O, I agree 100%. I think a very good LB is going to fall to us at 24 and Marvin is going to pick him up as the best athlete available. Safety in round 2 and TE/DT in round 3.