Palmer Extended thru 2014

ShulaSteakhouse

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhhhhhhhhhh. It's nice to know I'll have until I'm 40 to worry about Palmer leaving. Bring on the DT's! Who is the best DT coming out of college or free agent?

He is now officially, "The Franchise", and I couldn't be more stoked. The Bengals future is only looking better. Let's sure up the defense, protect the OL and make a run at multiple Super Bowls.

From Hobson...

Palmer in Cincy through '14

December 29, 2005

12:30 p.m.

The Bengals announced Thursday that Pro Bowl quarterback Carson Palmer has agreed to a six-year extension that puts him in Cincinnati through the 2014 season. Palmer, finishing the third year of a six-year deal, appeared at a pre-practice news conference with head coach Marvin Lewis at Paul Brown Stadium.

“It’s a good day for the Bengals. It’s a good day for Cincinnati,” Lewis said.

Friday at 4 p.m. is the deadline for using salary cap room for the 2005 season. With Palmer expected to be getting an estimated $30 million in up-front money according to similar deals, the Bengals figured to have used up all of their reserve.

Good deal. I was hoping they'd use up that space.

It's going to be a huge boon to this franchise to not have to worry about re-signing, or looking for a QB, for apparently many years.

For once in the last 15 years - they can concentrate solely on filling other needs and use top picks on other position players, just like the Pats and Colts have done the last 4-5 years and have stayed on top as a result (and the Eagles etc..,).

There are probably 30 other teams who wish they were in the position we are going to be for some time.

Keep this offense together and starting building that defense en masse. :) Good times ahead for Bengals' fans.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh. It's nice to know I'll have until I'm 40 to worry about Palmer leaving. Bring on the DT's! Who is the best DT coming out of college or free agent?

Spending this money to extend Palmer, you expect to be able to extend our Oline AND get the best free agent DT out there?

This is probably NOT a good thing as far as free agents are concerned unless they did something really spiffy with his contract rewrite to make it cap friendly.

This is probably NOT a good thing as far as free agents are concerned unless they did something really spiffy with his contract rewrite to make it cap friendly.

Well, of course it did; that's the entire point of doing these kinds of deals. Some numbers, courtesy of Super Cat over at bengalsjungle.com:

http://bengalsjungle.com/salariesqb.html

Carson has hit all his incentives mentioned below the chart, so '09 is already voided and his cap hit would have been $5 million+ in 06, above $6 million in 07, and topped $8 million in 08. This season, his hit was about $3.7 million; I'm sure it's more like $7-8 million now, chewing up all our extra space this season. The numbers will come out, and I'm sure you'll find that his cap hits in 07 and 08 are much lower now.

Well, of course it did; that's the entire point of doing these kinds of deals. Some numbers, courtesy of Super Cat over at bengalsjungle.com:

http://bengalsjungle.com/salariesqb.html

Carson has hit all his incentives mentioned below the chart, so '09 is already voided and his cap hit would have been $5 million+ in 06, above $6 million in 07, and topped $8 million in 08. This season, his hit was about $3.7 million; I'm sure it's more like $7-8 million now, chewing up all our extra space this season. The numbers will come out, and I'm sure you'll find that his cap hits in 07 and 08 are much lower now.

Cool that works out well. REALLY WELL!

Now if we can keep Jon playing for $1.5 to $2 million a year as his backup until Pretzel gets salty....

Wow. That's some serious coin. Should put the "cheap Bengals" stuff to rest finally.

Naw, he's internal, we have always paid our internal guys. Even in the dark era, our own free agents were always paid.

On another topic, you guys think Odell's contract is going to be rewritten? I mean the dude is being paid less than 25% of what Nate Webster is. I can't believe how cheaply we are getting off on the linebacking core. With the exception of Pollack at $1.7 mill in cap space, and Simmons at $3.2 mill, our guys aren't getting SQUAT.

Also, I think Kevin Kaesviharn has more than earned his $616,000 this season.

Wow. That's some serious coin. Should put the "cheap Bengals" stuff to rest finally.

Naw, he's internal, we have always paid our internal guys. Even in the dark era, our own free agents were always paid.

Oh, I know. But the perception, thanks to their belovd lowball negotiating tactics, has been one of, shall we say, extreme frugality? But yeah, Mike has always ponied up for Bengals who proved themselves on the field, even asswipes like Pickens and Dillon.

I'm going to be very interested to see how the salcap numbers break down. It sounds like the deal has been both frontloaded and backloaded heavily...and I wonder how much is wrapped up in really tough-to-reach incentives...

On another topic, you guys think Odell's contract is going to be rewritten? I mean the dude is being paid less than 25% of what Nate Webster is. I can't believe how cheaply we are getting off on the linebacking core. With the exception of Pollack at $1.7 mill in cap space, and Simmons at $3.2 mill, our guys aren't getting SQUAT.

Also, I think Kevin Kaesviharn has more than earned his $616,000 this season.

Odell, maybe after '06 or during '07, assuming his play stays at a high level. That seems to be the general pattern. Both Chad and now Carson got redone in year 3.

I'm sure there were playing time escalators in K2's deal.

Spending this money to extend Palmer, you expect to be able to extend our Oline AND get the best free agent DT out there?

It's not bad given his value, realistically. Add to that the fact that the Bengals are in great cap shape and I'm not worried. If the Colts can work Manning and Edge with their contracts, we're OK. Also bear in mind the cap will go up with the next CBA.

Of course, the way to kill the cap is to go trying to fix holes via signing star free agents. I don't see them signing any FAs that will break the bank, DT or otherwise. If they were going to, they'd have gotten Simon this year.

Teams that try to win by spending big money for free agents do not find much success, and I don't think Marvin and company are about to start that.