What the Bailey trade means for the Bengals

kevnz

Well, now that the Champ Bailey trade is all but done, what does everyone thing the ramifications will be for the Bengals? Now that the Redskins need a DB does that raise the price on getting a quality corner in FA cause now the Bengals have to compete with Danny "I don't care how much it costs" Snyder for a Corner....I would take a guess that one CB that they will pursue would be Winfield from the Bills cause Williams knows him so well...But the skins have shown that they'll overpay people to get them to sign...Will that raise the cost of someone like Plummer? (The FA on top of my wish list) Also, the skins need help on the Dline in the worst way.....So do the Bengals.....especially at DT....just like the Bengals....With the cap being rather tight, and having to compete against the skins willingness to overpay how can the Bengals compete??

Well, now that the Champ Bailey trade is all but done, what does everyone thing the ramifications will be for the Bengals? Now that the Redskins need a DB does that raise the price on getting a quality corner in FA cause now the Bengals have to compete with Danny "I don't care how much it costs" Snyder for a Corner....I would take a guess that one CB that they will pursue would be Winfield from the Bills cause Williams knows him so well...But the skins have shown that they'll overpay people to get them to sign...Will that raise the cost of someone like Plummer? (The FA on top of my wish list) Also, the skins need help on the Dline in the worst way.....So do the Bengals.....especially at DT....just like the Bengals....With the cap being rather tight, and having to compete against the skins willingness to overpay how can the Bengals compete??

I think in todays era of pass happy football, the cost of quality corners is going to exponentially increase within the next five years. With the Bengals a little over $8 million under the cap and the Redskins a little under (maybe over) $10 million under the cap, this may cause a problem picking up a corner. I think they may be better suited in picking up a CB in the draft with their good position and offense all but set...

I think in todays era of pass happy football, the cost of quality corners is going to exponentially increase within the next five years. With the Bengals a little over $8 million under the cap and the Redskins a little under (maybe over) $10 million under the cap, this may cause a problem picking up a corner. I think they may be better suited in picking up a CB in the draft with their good position and offense all but set...

Oh, no doubt the cost of a corner goes up in the next five years...If not sooner thanks to teams like the Lions over paying some people (But in Dre Blys defense, he earned his money, he just wasn't worth it before he got it)

The problem I have with drafting a CB early is that I think the need at DT is more pressing and harder to address in Free agency as well as safety(a postion we haven't really discussed much) being a big need....A quality corner in FA to compliment James and Weathersby at nickel and the team can show Hawkins the door...

Josh-I heard that the cap was going to increase next year. I think it was on ESPN news. Are the figures that you put out the updated ones? They might have been talking about the season after next but if anyone knows the facts please advise.

Actually Who Day, I don't know if those are updated. I know I got the numbers after the cap was released at $80.5 million, but I can't confirm that the numbers I provided eariler are correct. Good catch, I guess I have some work to do :D

With the Bengals a little over $8 million under the cap and the Redskins a little under (maybe over) $10 million under the cap, this may cause a problem picking up a corner.

Just to confirm, there was an extra 2 million added to the cap so the Bengals are about 10 million under....of course that puts the skins at 12 mill...until the Brunell deal...

But the Bengals will need to allocate about 3 million to the rookie pool and the skins only about 1.5 million or less cause they only have a 1st and 5th :blink::blink: (I am telling you, they are gonna crumble in another 2 years not having hardly any draft for two years running)

With the Bengals a little over $8 million under the cap and the Redskins a little under (maybe over) $10 million under the cap, this may cause a problem picking up a corner.

Just to confirm, there was an extra 2 million added to the cap so the Bengals are about 10 million under....of course that puts the skins at 12 mill...until the Brunell deal...

Are you sure? I got those numbers after the announcement but unsure if that updated at the time I got them.

Are you sure? I got those numbers after the announcement but unsure if that updated at the time I got them.

I'm pretty sure about those numbers...also I think I read it at Bengals.com as well.

I'm pretty sure about those numbers...also I think I read it at Bengals.com as well.

Sweet. Thanks for the update Kev.

I can't remember what year it's supposed to be, but the next time the TV rights share was supposed to go up again was supposed to be the '05 or '06 season. I read that last year in Profootball Weekly and Espn. within 2 years the salary cap will be around 85 million.

Bob Costas talked about it as well last week on NFL network.

We need a salary cap-ologist for this site. So at least we can get an idea of where we stand on a per player perspective. I vote for Rich since he's probably the best here with numbers.

Where can someone find the numbers per player though??? I'd be happy to do it, but it doesn't do much good if you don't know what the players are being paid.