Do the Bengals take a Gamble?

The Bengals Website had some good things to say about Gamble....but the thing I didnt like was Herm Edwards on our site....its been rumored they're looking for a CB too.... :( Not good news. We'll just have to wait and see won't we?

Gamble, the Buckeyes’ brilliant two-way player, looks to be emerging as the early No. 1 corner, a spot that may not be around at No. 17. But Poole and Hall, and maybe South Carolina’s Dunta Robinson, are worthy enough to be discussed. And even though each guy has a flaw that is keeping them out of the can’t-miss top five, the mid and late first round has recently produced No. 1 corners for their teams.

Just look at Winfield (No. 23 in 1999) and Plummer (No. 24 in 2000). And the next year, the Giants’ 5-10 Will Allen went No. 22. All three have helped their defenses into the playoffs.

Gamble has the size that Bengals defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier seeks, but only about a year of full-time experience at the position. Yet what a year it has been as Gamble has become a Columbus folk hero as the throwback two-way player at wide receiver and cornerback, Make that a triple threat because he also returned punts.

“Because of his natural ability, he’s (not) a risk as some other guys,” said Frazier of Gamble’s brief corner career. “He’s very, very talented. It’s just a matter of time. Get some good coaching, get in a good system, and he’ll be fine. He’s got the physical tools you’re looking for.”

Edwards, a former corner, thinks Gamble’s learning curve is going to be an advantage for the team that takes him.

“He doesn’t have a lot of bad technique,” Edwards said. “He’s just learning. Bring him in and break him down and you start over and go. He’s got the talent.”

New Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips: “They’re all risks. It’s about determining risks and rewards, and each team has a different criteria.

Gamble knows he’s got a lot to learn, but he’s got the right idea: “I’m trying to outthink the offensive coordinator and the quarterback,” and he thinks all those years catching the ball gives him an edge.

“I’ve got a feel for how the receiver comes off the line, how they run their routes, and when they come out of their breaks,” Gamble said. “I feel like I’m a quick learner. All I have to do is work on my technique, my footwork is all down pat. . .Then when I get with my team, I’m going to learn about the receivers by watching tape.”

With the amazing amount of talent at the skill position this year, Quarterback (3)...Running back (3) maybe 4.. .and the wideouts..(5) at least that will go in round 1.. plus (te) Kellen Winslow Jr... have to think that one of the top 3 defensive lineman is going to be a Bengal at 17.... Tampa and San Fran could go wide receiver and the Bears could go running back.

If one of the Big 3 is there..? Udeze,Harris,Wilfork..? Have to think that We'll jump all over them...

With the amazing amount of talent at the skill position this year, Quarterback (3)...Running back (3) maybe 4.. .and the wideouts..(5) at least that will go in round 1.. plus (te) Kellen Winslow Jr... have to think that one of the top 3 defensive lineman is going to be a Bengal at 17.... Tampa and San Fran could go wide receiver and the Bears could go running back.

If one of the Big 3 is there..? Udeze,Harris,Wilfork..? Have to think that We'll jump all over them...

As you said in your article, this is the year of the wide out.

I agree....if they do fall....I don't expect it to be an All offense draft for the top half of the round....I know the Redskins, Falcons, and Texans are looking for D-Lineman....and itll probably go something like this: Kenechi, Tommie, Vince. Vince is THE prototype for the Texans 3-4 Scheme.....

With that said, I really dont wanna talk about D-Lineman anymore....I dunno...maybe I'm inclined to like DB's because I'm physically resemble them more than a 300 lb DT...(not that I'm in CB shape mind you)...they just seem to bore me, all fat and waddly...sacks are cool and all...but Cornerbacks are way more exciting to watch, there's nothing like a good INT to fire a team up...if the dude gets sacked, s**t they've still got a few downs to play....CB's, they've got the most physically demanding job on the field too....on top of that, they're more valuable in the sense that when's the last time you saw a DT's returning kicks and punts?