D-Line is Weak

Section 310

I don't want to pee on everyone's parade, but are you concerned about the performance of the defensive line? It has looked too easy for Taylor and Brown the last couple of weeks to gash us for big gains. It is frustrating to see the lack of pressure and push generated by the line. I know many fans love Justin Smith, but I think he is a liability against the run. There have been multiple plays this year in which Smith is knocked out of the play by a TE. He is good at back side pursuit, but gets blown up by quality tackles when the play is aimed at his side.

The 5-1 record is great, but the line has to be addressed. Unfortunately, is there anything Lewis can do this season? I think the offseason will see some changes...new faces on the d-line and a stud safety to play opposite Madieu Williams. Honestly, weren't you concerned yesterday when Tennessee continued to march up and down the field

My hope for the remainder of this year is that the weak line play will be compensated for by young LB's who start to get a better feel for the game. If Pollack and Thurman continue to mature, the defense should be able to hold it's own.

You also had to like to see the Shaun Smith kid start to contribute yesterday. He seemed to provide some push.

I mentioned this in another thread. I just don't think the Bengals D line is that good to begin with. I think they are all fairly average players. The D-tackle tandem of Robinson and Thorton rarely ever get pentration. Hell, I was watching the Steelers yesterday and I saw Kimo Von Oelhoffen constantly in the backfield making plays or disrupting runs.

I dont' know to much about the scheme they are playing, but I know they need to stop playing Geathers at DT on passing downs.

My hope for the remainder of this year is that the weak line play will be compensated for by young LB's who start to get a better feel for the game. If Pollack and Thurman continue to mature, the defense should be able to hold it's own.

You also had to like to see the Shaun Smith kid start to contribute yesterday. He seemed to provide some push.

I agree - as long as we get Madieu back and Thurman and Pollack continue to improve, we'll be OK for this year. Remember, our goal for this year is really the playoffs - not the Super Bowl yet. In fact, I'd rather enjoy this year and next year before we get to the Super Bowl. Once we get there, we can no longer just enjoy a competitive season. If we don't win the Super Bowl (something only one team can do), we'll be disappointed again (like we've been for the past 15 years). Let's be happy and enjoy our progress toward the Super Bowl and not be disappointed already because we didn't win it.

I agree - as long as we get Madieu back and Thurman and Pollack continue to improve, we'll be OK for this year. Remember, our goal for this year is really the playoffs - not the Super Bowl yet. In fact, I'd rather enjoy this year and next year before we get to the Super Bowl. Once we get there, we can no longer just enjoy a competitive season. If we don't win the Super Bowl (something only one team can do), we'll be disappointed again (like we've been for the past 15 years). Let's be happy and enjoy our progress toward the Super Bowl and not be disappointed already because we didn't win it.

You always have to aim for the Super Bowl!!!!!!! Marvin did as soon as he stepped in the door....

I am not statisfied with JUST the playoffs, never will be. And neither will Marvin and the players.

Saying our goal this year is the playoffs and not the Super Bowl is idiotic.....

You always have to aim for the Super Bowl!!!!!!! Marvin did as soon as he stepped in the door....

I am not statisfied with JUST the playoffs, never will be. And neither will Marvin and the players.

Saying our goal this year is the playoffs and not the Super Bowl is idiotic.....

I don't think that's what he was saying. Yes, of course your goal is ALWAYS the Super Bowl. Otherwise, you're just wasting your time.

Realistically, though, it's hard to get all the required puzzle pieces in 3 seasons, especially when you're starting from scratch. One of the remaining pieces is a dominant D-line, which will more than likely be addressed this offseason.

I think the topic here is that our Scheme does not match our Personnel.

Geathers is not cutting it. Smith can run but is not geeting his hands on the CB.

I think the ends are more of the problem than the Tackles vs run and pass.