Players, card companies to limit card sets

jjakq27

Bring back the days when there was only one set per year!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/20...tion-glut_x.htm

Posted 7/27/2005 1:56 AM Updated 7/27/2005 1:58 AM

Conventioneers, players' union hope to help end card glut

By Ross Forman, Special for USA TODAY

As the sports collectibles industry kicks off its biggest week of the year with the 26th annual National Sports Collectors Convention, the new baseball card market is getting significantly smaller.

The Major League Baseball Players Association announced last week that, in an attempt to help eliminate the glut of new cards on the market, Topps and Upper Deck would be the only cardmakers in 2006. The license of Texas-based Donruss Playoff, which has produced baseball cards since 2001 and also makes football cards, was not renewed. And with Fleer stopping production of sports cards in June, there will be fewer than 40 baseball brands in 2006, down from 87 that are scheduled for this year.

"More than 80 baseball card sets per year was far too many, and the halving of that number is great news for collectors," says Rocky Landsverk, editorial director for Sports Collectors Digest. "Many hobbyists are upset about the loss of Donruss baseball cards, for good reason, but it's important to focus on the fact that the future of baseball cards looks far more organized and sane than the past 10 years."

The players association also is taking steps to clarify the rookie card rules. Starting with the 2006 sets, a "rookie card" logo will appear on the cards of players making their major league card debut in the set.

The first 2006 baseball cards from Topps and Upper Deck won't be released until February, unlike past years when the releases hit in November.

The five-day convention begins Wednesday at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, Ill. More than 35,000 collectors are expected, and about 100 sports and entertainment celebrities are scheduled to sign autographs. The autograph lineup includes Juan Marichal, Fergie Jenkins, Billy Williams and Ralph Kiner. Also appearing: Dwyane Wade, Joe Theismann, Mike Ditka, Ara Parseghian and Bernie Parent.

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely LOVE Baseball cards. The only sets I collect are Bowman, but in addition I collect team cards ..... every Reds card I can get my hands on ... and for some reason I like cards where the ivy covered wall in Chicago is prominent .... broken bat cards ....... jumps and dives for the ball ( even better if the ball isn't in the glove yet ) .... and some of my favorites " owies " where the players are running into each other ... slides to break up the dbl play etc.

My oldest is a Sweet Caporal from the early 1900's and then it jumps to the 40's

Also have several autographed cards.. baseballs .... and a bat signed by Frank Thomas.