ISC To Buy Kentucky Speedway?

Kirkendall

From Winston-Salem Journal.

Kentucky Speedway's lawsuit against the France family's International Speedway Corp. could lead eventually to a possible sale of the $150-million Cincinnati-area track to the ISC, according to some knowledgeable figures in the NASCAR garage. The track, which seats 66,000, has sold out Busch series races since it opened in 2000.

However, the location of the track - in a rural setting 45 minutes from downtown Cincinnati, and just a little over two hours from Indianapolis Motor Speedway - works against it.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...s=1037645509200

The next thing we'll here is ISC being sued for violating anti-trust laws.

Just let someone build a track, don't give it a Nextel Cup event, then buy it at pennies on the dollar.

The location argument is not valid in my opinion. Build it and they will come! Just need enough seats.

It's the marketing argument. Look at it from this angle (one I don't neccessarily agree with, but interesting nonetheless).

Is there really a need to market nascar in the area? Would a Cup race benefit nascar in Kentucky? Or would it benefit the sport, marketing-wise, to reach areas not really into NASCAR as much as Kentucky or the South in general? There's talk of moving a Busch race into Canada in '04 to expand the market.

Does Cup need a marketing influence in Kentucky? My guess would be no. I hope Kentucky gets a date one day, I really do. But I can't argue against NASCARs marketing position...

Sounds like the owners of Kentucky Speedway didn't do their homework...I agree with the marketing angle...Its all about the benjamins....Being a traditionalist I hate that angle because the traditional tracks made it possible for the new tracks to succeed and now NASCAR seems to be turning its back on them...

The Kentucky market is included in the Indy market probably, making it overlap too much on location.

The eventual track in Seattle....is it going to be a dome? :D