Re: Goat of the Week

JBrooks

In your poll you forgot to put up the ACTUAL goat of the week...the offensive line.

I know it's a tough situation, but no whistle was blown, and that return by Burris, had it stood up, completely changes the complexion of the game. On the 5 yard line 17-10. We should punch it in, tie it up and have a new game on our hands.

That one hurt a lot.

That said, we are still very much alive. TCB next Sunday, I'll get the place rocking, and then sit back with some Egg Nog and root for the Black and Gold.

The Bengals have the desire this year. They play with heart and they are in every game mentally (for the most part). I think they just might be a few horses shy of beating the elite talent. They can do it against the Browns, and if we're lucky enough, we'll see 'em dig deep in the playoffs.

In your poll you forgot to put up the ACTUAL goat of the week...the offensive line.

I thought about that but decided against it because Bratkowski was a hand in the poor o-line performance. St. Louis was rushing mad totally disrespecting our run and what did we do? He called plays that took 3-4 second to develop. We didn't run any screens to slow them up, we didn't stick to the rush (Dillon had 5.3 yards per carry in the game), I think the line was a victim of poor play calling. My goat was Bratkowski for multiple dumb headed plays, obvious plays ran, etc.

I'm just waiting for the day Brat is let go for Zampese.

Sorry if it was unclear, fellas. I'm not talking about the O-line for blocking. I'm talking about them being the ones on the field that got Burris' return nullified. They were the ones (self-proclaimed) that went onto the field before the whistle blew. Own 27 instead of Rams 5. Down by 7.

That's a game changer.

I was disappointed that they were unable to convert some early third downs. Especially when they got the first INT. If they could have gotten a field goal that would have been a good start.

I think poor field position was a factor also. Forget about the three picks that Kitna had. The kickoffs and punts were not in the Bengals favor at all. The Rams had a lot of short fields on alot of their drives. I like Kyle Richardson but if he is not the answer, I hope they address it next year. Obviously Graham is a keeper.

I was disappointed that they were unable to convert some early third downs.

They didn't perform well on third down all game, 4-13. I imagine most of that is from being pressured all game.

I think poor field position was a factor also.

Bengals average start: own 28

St. Louis's average start: own 34

Those six yards do have a signifigant advantage.

I like Kyle Richardson but if he is not the answer

Agreed. Dump him. He's no better than Nick Harris but a yard here or there.

jjakq27 - welcome the board.

I think the line was a victim of poor play calling. My goat was Bratkowski for multiple dumb headed plays, obvious plays ran, etc.

I'm just waiting for the day Brat is let go for Zampese.

Shall we start a Bratkowski has to go thread?

I've been critical of his play calling for awhile now. You'll are right about the screens, or the lack thereof.

I also noticed

Way too many first down medium length passes.

Insufficient Tight ending. (could be personel, anybody know if the one they cut form rutgers is still playing)

How about a pitch wide?

He hasn't developed a bigger play book as the season progressed. (except for the shovel)

Lack of power football.

Zampese might do better.

Shall we start a Bratkowski has to go thread?

I've been critical of his play calling for awhile now. You'll are right about the screens, or the lack thereof.

I also noticed

Way too many first down medium length passes.

Insufficient Tight ending. (could be personel, anybody know if the one they cut form rutgers is still playing)

How about a pitch wide?

He hasn't developed a bigger play book as the season progressed. (except for the shovel)

Lack of power football.

Zampese might do better.

Well, it might be time to call for Brat's head.....

I don't blame the tight ends, the Bengals have some serious talent there. Reggie is known as a blocker, but has pretty damn good hands as well, he's been pegged as a blocker though. As for Schobel, awsome hands, needs to stay healthy and his blocking has improved. As for Stewert, he's a very good TE especially for one signed off of another teams practice squad. I think it comes down to play calling and routes they are being asked to run...I personally think that when P-Dub went out they should have gone to a 2 TE set instead...

A wide pitch....don't know about that, I don't think Rudi has the speed needed to make it work...Corey probably does, but both RB's are between the tackle type runners....Maybe if one of them goes they can get a speedy back to help mix things up....Or actually line up P-dub in the Half Back spot more...that'd keep defenses guessing.

As for the lack of Power Football, I think that's got more to do with the play calling...The Bengals have the players to play big nasty smashmouth ball but the plays aren't being called...

I think maybe Brat started getting a bit nervous when Zampese was hired...But Zampese is from the Martz school of airing the ball out so I don't know if it would be better unless he is willing to commit to running the damn ball.

I don't blame the tight ends, the Bengals have some serious talent there. Reggie is known as a blocker, but has pretty damn good hands as well, he's been pegged as a blocker though. As for Schobel, awsome hands, needs to stay healthy and his blocking has improved. As for Stewert, he's a very good TE especially for one signed off of another teams practice squad. I think it comes down to play calling and routes they are being asked to run...I personally think that when P-Dub went out they should have gone to a 2 TE set instead...

I've been critical of having 3 tight ends for 3 different scenarios; the defense already figures out within an hour of films of our tendancies. We tend to become predictable and forget to mix things up. I'm in favor of dumping all three tight ends for one good one. Anyone ever seen Lord of the Rings? Yea, one tight end to rule them all (I'm seeing the movie tomorrow!)

A wide pitch....don't know about that, I don't think Rudi has the speed needed to make it work...Corey probably does, but both RB's are between the tackle type runners....Maybe if one of them goes they can get a speedy back to help mix things up....Or actually line up P-dub in the Half Back spot more...that'd keep defenses guessing.

I absolutely agree with you Kevnz, but this is the one thing that I blame Bratkowski on. Just because it doesn't work, doesn't mean we don't do it. We have a limited playbook because of our ultra-conservative playbook. If teams knew we're pitching at least 2-3 times a game, that would force the corners and outside linebackers to hold a second. We should do it once a game or two. Will it be successful? Kevnz hit the nail on the head on this one, I just think we should do it once or twice for the CB, safties, and OLB to think about it.

I think maybe Brat started getting a bit nervous when Zampese was hired...But Zampese is from the Martz school of airing the ball out so I don't know if it would be better unless he is willing to commit to running the damn ball.

I think Zampese is going to have this job soon.

Lack of power football.

I think you're right regarding power football in a consistant basis. Corey was running well, I'm not sure why they decided to stop rushing him. But overall, that Power 16 O is pretty good when they actually run it.