Hardy Released

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SCHWEEET!

I totally agree he was a good locker room influence, but no matter how positive you are in the locker room, people don't listen if you don't walk the walk on the field after you talk the talk in the locker room.

I personally think we'll see Simmons and Pollack on the outside, with Landon Johnson splitting time with Thurman in the middle.

Do you think the Bengals will use 3-4 or 4-3 type D? If they decided to use a 3-4 you will have Simmons and Pollack on the outsides with L. Johnson and Odell Thurman as the inside backers. I know Landon had a good season last year, but they will be starting two rookies and one second year player at 3 out of the 4 starting lbs positions. Do you think teams will game plan for that?

To convert to a 3-4, we need a NT that can occupy (and beat) 2 blockers AND a dominating RDE. We have neither, so we are stuck with the 4-3. What we DO have is depth and versatility in our LB position.

I recall in the recently posted video on bengals.com that there was a 4 lb drill they ran. I will watch it again but watching Odell, Pollack, Augustin and <blank>(...can't recall the name/number) in a 4 lb set did catch my attention...and begs the question: Why run a 4 LB drill if they will not be using 4 LB's? (only situationally?)

recall in the recently posted video on bengals.com that there was a 4 lb drill they ran. I will watch it again but watching Odell, Pollack, Augustin and <blank>(...can't recall the name/number) in a 4 lb set did catch my attention...and begs the question: Why run a 4 LB drill if they will not be using 4 LB's? (only situationally?)

KingWilly - Was Pollack playing in 'space', or did he have his hand down. If they use Pollack as a rush LDE or Suggs-like blitzing LB, then 'Jumpy Jr.' Geathers better start worrying about HIS job!!!

Yep, to bad to see him go. It just seemed he was always one or two steps behind most of the plays last year. As for C. Miller taking his spot, he better put on some weight and strength because he got manhandled way to much last season. Let's hope Nate has a speedy and complete recovery before Sep.!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's a good move for both sides. Hardy has a high cap number, and he probably could see the writing on the wall. It's a classy move to let him go now and give him a chance to hook up with another tean rather than keep him around for training camp and then cut him when he would have much less of a chance to earn a job with another team and learn their system. Plus they probably have to clear some room for the big trade they are working on.. :P

This is what I think is gonna happen with the D:

First, ML is not gonna just reveal his plans to the other teams that they're gonna play this season, because the Bengals are gonna be the team to beat. B)

Second, I think that ML wants to wait to see how Matthias Askew develops to see if he could be capable of playing nose tackle, or if JT could play it. I think they will find out how much NT Thornton and Robinson could possibly play in the preseason. And hopefully, Askew will develop enough to start by mid-season.

Third, the possibility of being able to switch Ds (like some team thats won the last 3 of 4 Super Bowls) is something I know is running through Marvin's genius mind.

Fourth, WHO DEY!!

(I'm excited) :P

The drop off at center is huge . He has been a damn good player for the Bengals. He is not a guy we throw a bone. Pay him what he deserves. We would be in big trouble without him. I don't think Marvin should talk about players salary. It simply is not his job IMO. Let the front office handle it. Its seems unfair to the player as well IMO.

I remember years ago when Boomer wanted 5 mil and Coslet said he was crazy. He was out of line...just coach.

jditty-

check the video. they are running a 4LB set for drills...ON THE FRIST DAY OF MINI-CAMP WITH ROOKIES...but according to your they are not going to run a 3-4..hmmm.

It may be something, it may not be something. But since YOU are so sure, we should all just get over it. You would make a great UN negotiator...

I don't think the Bengals will switch to a 3-4 base defense largely due to the fact that Marvin keeps telling Bengal fans he's not switching schemes. Sure, many of us don't believe him. Bengal fans are funny like that. But flopping back and forth between the 4-3 and the 3-4 seems like something a coach without a plan or without an eye for suitable talent might be tempted to do.

Count me among those who think the idea Leblows.

I have been one to point out the MANY MANY times ML or Bres have been quoted saying they are sticking with the 4-3 and using the 3-4 only in certain situations. Now I'm not so sure things are as black and white in this department as they were before the draft and the addition of both Pollock and Thurman. ML is good for not spilling the beans in the media and you have to be intrigued with the thought of Pollock, Landon, Thurman, and Simmons in that set !!! :player: The front three would still be confusing to me... That said, I believe the 4-3 is still the base, but must believe ML is sick of what little the D has done over his first couple years and would be willing to entertain change.

WHODEY !!!

Enough with the freaking 3 – 4!!! The Bengals do NOT have the Defensive Line personnel to run a 3 – 4. Let’s look at the players –

LDE – Although I think Clemons is underrated, to my knowledge he’s never played a two-gap. The jury is still out on Jumpy Jr, but he’s lighter than Clemons.

DT – Nobody has the size / strength / quickness combination for NT. A 3 – 4 NT is the linchpin of the defense, and MUST occupy the center and one guard, play 2 gaps . . . and win occasionally. Askew may develop into a NT, but not in 2005.

RDE – Puh-lease! Justin Smith is the most overrated player on this team. He doesn’t have the strength to stand up at the point of attack in a 4 – 3, and would be consistently overwhelmed in a 3 – 4 rush defense. He is an over-large speed rusher that doesn’t study enough film to scare an OC or the opposing LT.

So, let’s resign ourselves to a 4 – 3 with really good versatility and depth on our linebacking corps!!!

Enough with the freaking 3 – 4!!! The Bengals do NOT have the Defensive Line personnel to run a 3 – 4. Let’s look at the players –

I agree 100%. We do not have the Jerry Ball, Ted Washington, Goose type NT to run the 3-4. I do think ML will mix it up occassionally though. One thing we should all have learned from Marvin is he will not leak information that can potentially be used against the team later.

LDE – Although I think Clemons is underrated, to my knowledge he’s never played a two-gap. The jury is still out on Jumpy Jr, but he’s lighter than Clemons.

DT – Nobody has the size / strength / quickness combination for NT. A 3 – 4 NT is the linchpin of the defense, and MUST occupy the center and one guard, play 2 gaps . . . and win occasionally. Askew may develop into a NT, but not in 2005.

RDE – Puh-lease! Justin Smith is the most overrated player on this team. He doesn’t have the strength to stand up at the point of attack in a 4 – 3, and would be consistently overwhelmed in a 3 – 4 rush defense. He is an over-large speed rusher that doesn’t study enough film to scare an OC or the opposing LT.

So, let’s resign ourselves to a 4 – 3 with really good versatility and depth on our linebacking corps!!!

Let's recap your post. Clemons is underrated, Smith is overrated, and Askew may develope into a NT if given more time.

:lol::lol::lol:

jditty-

check the video. they are running a 4LB set for drills...ON THE FRIST DAY OF MINI-CAMP WITH ROOKIES...but according to your they are not going to run a 3-4..hmmm.

It may be something, it may not be something. But since YOU are so sure, we should all just get over it. You would make a great UN negotiator...

we have 4 eligible starters on the DLine. We dont have 4 eligible starters at LB at this point. we have great great depth at LB right now...but who knows if thurman is ready to start...or if Landon is ready to run the middle for an entire season...or even if pollack can do it either. we will run in a 4-3 set and maybe once our players progress we'll start using 3-4 more...but it wont be our primary defensive set.

Too wordy? No, not at all.

However, I did think you were wrong...wrong....wrong...on all three counts in your evaluations of individual D-line skills.

That's fine though, because your core point about the Bengals D-line being poorly suited to play the 3-4 was dead on.

Props. B)